Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Republic vs. Colombia

My question to everyone:

if you had a choice between living in Colombia and Dominican Republic and money was not an issue, which country would you choose?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colombia

Because is the closest thing to my dear Caracas,money exchange is a big issue thanks to the good all Chávez.DR is very americanizado,therefore driving prices up like crazy.I guess It's the same effect it had in Costa Rica.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I have heard very interesting stories about Columbia

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

stories like what?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by businessdr View Post
    stories like what?

Lots of interesting stories and posts on DR1 about Colombia. Robert, AZB, and others. Search button is your friend, keyword "colombia".

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by businessdr View Post
    My question to everyone:

if you had a choice between living in Colombia and Dominican Republic and money was not an issue, which country would you choose?
    I would probably chose Colombia. Which part of Colombia are you considering since it is such a big country?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Colombia is much more developed than the DR, from transport to education, communications etc. Although the banking sector I would say falls behind the DR in some areas.

As Viajero posted, the location is important. Cartagena is very different to Medellin or Bogota. Bogota is very different to Medellin, you get the idea

Personally I would consider Medellin the perfect city to live in and I have lived and worked in a few around the planet.

8. Likes Expat-in-Cabarete liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Colombia, Medellin specifically.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Also Medellin

My soon to be expat co-worker,has showed me a lot about Pereira,you definitely get more for your buck over DR(wish it was the same in Caracas,lol)For example,his brother was renting a three bedroom house,gated community with pool for 600$ in estrato 5??? I believe that's how you spell it.He was living in estrato 6 but moved back to 5 due to people's attitude(kinda like the elite in DR) He lives in las casona,10 minutes drive from pereira.180000 usd for a three bedroom house with pool,pool house or maid's quarters,large yard and some fruit trees.His kids remained at estrato 6 school though.Wherever you go,when you getaway from the country's capital,things become much cheaper.
    Last edited by nyc dad; 01-18-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: wrong city,missing words

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colombia vs. Dominican Republic

Guys, thanks for all the feedback on this subject.

I am actually considering Cartagena. I went to Medellin and did not really like it.

What are your thoughts on Cartagena?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast