How much should I pay for a private driver?

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
Hi everyone, I need to hire a driver, but I have no clue how much should I pay someone to do this job?
Any help will be appreciated.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I used to hire driver for long trips and normally pay him 750 pesos per day and take care his expenses for food.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
To Get Some Kind Of An Idea

Just contact Martin Espinal at Isaria Tours. We have joined friends who have hired him and the friends were very happy with what he did for them. Unfortunately I do not have any idea as to cost.

SB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think/hope those rules apply only to full time staff.
If part time, you avoid a bunch of responsibilties like that

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
I think/hope those rules apply only to full time staff.
If part time, you avoid a bunch of responsibilties like that
:( my Dominican friend says 10,000 mil pesos more or less, and I need to cover the lunch but since I live in a hotel what I can do is giving him money for him to get his lunch. How much should that be? God I wish I could drive.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
:( my Dominican friend says 10,000 mil pesos more or less, and I need to cover the lunch but since I live in a hotel what I can do is giving him money for him to get his lunch. How much should that be? God I wish I could drive.

Don't worry. 100 pesos will buy him a nice meal.

You'll enjoy the ride !!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
If that is for a month then it should be ok. Typical dominican box lunch costs around 100 - 150 pesos.

I know many drivers here and they get paid 2500 per week plus benefits ( some do not). They drive trucks to the airport. Food allowance of 300 pesos for trip to Puertaplata and Santo Domingo. 500 pesos if they go for Puntacana.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ricky, I thought the same thing - but then I decided that he misplaced the comma, and the friend meant 1,000 pesos. He did say someone had quoted him 1,500.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Why can you not drive if you own a car?

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
are you out of your mind? 10000 pesos a day just to drive is insane. that is more then the minimum MONTHLY salary. the person who told you that is probably the brother of the driver and if you were to pay that, when that day was over, they would retire for a month. if you live in the capital, i will drive you for 4 days for that amount and i will buy my own lunch.

Lol, no. I meant a month

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
Why can you not drive if you own a car?

Because We just came 3 weeks ago, and We (hubby,I) dont have a residence status yet so we can't drive or in my case take lessons and get a license without a CEDULA.
We just came from Japan and We did not need a car at all, I am missing my bike :( specially for taking my child to the school, but here that seems imposible.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can drive on your foreign license for quite a while here.

90 days or so if in a rented car. Not sure if you own one - might be trickier

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Because We just came 3 weeks ago, and We (hubby,I) dont have a residence status yet so we can't drive or in my case take lessons and get a license without a CEDULA.
We just came from Japan and We did not need a car at all, I am missing my bike :( specially for taking my child to the school, but here that seems imposible.
If you have only been here 3 weeks and have a drivers license from someplace, you can drive here. Although you may not want to due to the craziness of the traffic and driving "skills" of most drivers on the road. Are you referring to a regular bike or motorized? Both are very dangerous......I would rather be in a car anywhere, anytime.

But you do not need a DR driver's license, at least at first. Anyone know how long before you have to get a DR license?

I have been told never need one if you periodically return to place where it was issued, but I do not know details.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Evening, I would ask to see his drivers license and accept no excuses. If he does not own a car or work for a taxi/car company he does not know how to drive. In either case the liability is on you not him.

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
call 8097917398 ,speak to mello. offer him what you think is fair. maybe 800 per day. he has licence and speaks eng. very honest, about 30 yrs old. has been my friend for 20 yrs. knows country very well. always helpful. tell him steve sent you to him. he will take bus to where-ever you are.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You can drive on your foreign license for quite a while here.

90 days or so if in a rented car. Not sure if you own one - might be trickier
Here we go again. If you do a search you will see this has been answered dozens of times. The bottom line is that your foreign license is valid as long as your tourist card is valid. Until you obtain Residencia you must either renew tourist card or leave and reenter the DR. Many horror stories have been posted on people who found their insurance company refused to cover accidents which occured while driving while on an overstayed tourist card. If the card is expired, you are technically an illegal alien.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
if you have turned in the residency paperwork (they'll give you a letter) you can get insurance with the original drivers liscence. once the residency is complete, you need to get the dominican lisence.

but driving here is a pain - and you can get a driver for pretty cheap.