Chinese construction recepie - what the DR needs!

Feb 7, 2007
So when Chinese come with this new technology to the DR, they can build malls in a week's or two time. China's pre-fab future: green buildings in blink of an eye | News.com.au

They built their expo pavilion in Shanghai (6 stories) in 24 hours 2010 Shanghai World Expo, construction timelapse of Broad Pavilion - YouTube

They also built a hotel 15 stories high in just 6 days Building a 15 storey hotel in 6 days - YouTube

Now imagine all the malls being built in the DR, metro, overpasses, etc. ... by July, these Chinese guys could take away all traffic headaches and pollution/dust caused by construction in SD. Wouldn't THAT be wonderful?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So when Chinese come with this new technology to the DR, they can build malls in a week's or two time. China's pre-fab future: green buildings in blink of an eye | News.com.au

They built their expo pavilion in Shanghai (6 stories) in 24 hours 2010 Shanghai World Expo, construction timelapse of Broad Pavilion - YouTube

They also built a hotel 15 stories high in just 6 days Building a 15 storey hotel in 6 days - YouTube

Now imagine all the malls being built in the DR, metro, overpasses, etc. ... by July, these Chinese guys could take away all traffic headaches and pollution/dust caused by construction in SD. Wouldn't THAT be wonderful?

I saw that too, quite interesting. the problem is the concrete setting. I wonder if this time included the foundation preparation and construction or only the erection of the steel. I suspect it is only the latter. Nonetheless, still impressive.

Feb 7, 2007
Chip, I guess you are right, because they cannot dig in prefab mode. But maybe they've got some quick digging technology as well.

May 29, 2006
I'm with Chip in thinking there was a lot of prep work they don't show before snapping together the LEGO buildings.

Does the DR really need more malls with foreign-based franchises? In the last 30 years, I've watched my NY hometown go from about 20 national chain storefronts to over 200 and they are building more. The mom and pop stores that have been around for 50+ years are slowly fading out. The profits are exported out of town and wages have gone down.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm with Chip in thinking there was a lot of prep work they don't show before snapping together the LEGO buildings.

Does the DR really need more malls with foreign-based franchises? In the last 30 years, I've watched my NY hometown go from about 20 national chain storefronts to over 200 and they are building more. The mom and pop stores that have been around for 50+ years are slowly fading out. The profits are exported out of town and wages have gone down.

I'm sure this was mostly a promotional tool. I see a potential problem with quality control with such little time for installation and inspection.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Still, even if there was, say, 6 months of prep work, that's extraordinarily fast, especially if the building is as sound as advertised.

The Chinese are putting up 30 story building in two weeks, and our kids are trying to be more like the Kardashians. Sheesh.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Welcome to the "Global Economy"!

May 29, 2006
Welcome to the "Global Economy"!

It's one of the reasons I miss small town Vermont. They had a Home Depot move to Brattleboro about ten years ago and it barely lasted five years. The downtown stores are all still locally owned(most are run by owners) and the unemployment is low compared to neighboring states, despite having a higher minimum wage. There's a Walmart across the river in NH, but the VT businesses haven't suffered much and the money stays local.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Now that's impressive!

There's no way the quoted time includes concrete setting. Prefab construction is popping up everywhere. I see it in Miami all the time now.