Hola :) Nebraska to DR

lrogrady

Jan 18, 2012
Hola! Soy Loni y estoy buscando trabajo en la RD. I have a degree in secondary Spanish and ESL education from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and I would love to find a decent paying job teaching English.
I love bachata and everything Dominican!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No question you can find a job, but what you consider "decent paying" is less certain.

Welcome to DR1

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Hola! Soy Loni y estoy buscando trabajo en la RD. I have a degree in secondary Spanish and ESL education from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and I would love to find a decent paying job teaching English.
I love bachata and everything Dominican!

You should try getting a job with the American Embassy in the DR and if that doesn't work you should look into going to Puerto Rico. There you can dance lots of Bachata, get USD$ paying jobs, and if you still want to experience DR you can fly there in the weekends for cheap.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would suggest you look for a teaching job through International Schools Services

https://www.iss.edu/education-careers/teaching-overseas

It might be difficult to get into their fairs for this year but you can start to network now. Using this service will help you to find a good paying job.

Unless you are moving to the DR for other reasons you should keep your mind open about jobs in other countries and this organization can be the way to fulfill your dreams of teaching overseas.

good luck

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You should try getting a job with the American Embassy in the DR and if that doesn't work you should look into going to Puerto Rico. There you can dance lots of Bachata, get USD$ paying jobs, and if you still want to experience DR you can fly there in the weekends for cheap.

By your post it shows you haven't been to la "isla nena" in a while...

If you think the job offers are bad in the US, don't even ask in PR!
It has the highest lost of jobs and unemployment rates of all states and US held territories in the Union...

If you think I'm joking:

desempleo-160112.jpg

Unemployment on the island sky high!

[h=3]One in four is unemployed in Comerio.
[/h]

• [*=center]
    [*=center]

[h=3]This is reflected in the unemployment rates in the central municipality, which is the one that has the unfortunate record of 25 percent of people who have failed to get a job.
The reasons? Layoffs in government offices and the closure of regional government, as mayor, Joseph A.Santiago pointed out.

"Other towns in the central area are also mired in crisis.Ciales, Orocovis, Maricao and Adjuntas, are some of the mountain towns with unemployment rates that exceed 20 percent."

The southern part of Puerto Rico, meanwhile, is the hardest hit by rising unemployment facing the country and, with the exception of Ponce, all municipalities that comprise it suffer unemployment rates that exceed the island's official rate. Most have about 20 percent of its workers unemployed.

[/h]

Last edited: