Valverde Mao - how did it get its name?

J

Joe Kendall

OK,

I was passing through Mao last week and I noticed that they have a bunch of new ambulances donated by the Chinese government. It made me wonder once again how Mao got its name. Anybody know?

Joe

D

Drake

I believe Mao is a river or is named after one. Most rivers in DR have maintained their name from their original indigenous Indian names. I can tell you one thing for sure nothing here has been named because of the Chinese besides oranges that is.

J

Jo Anne

Joe, if you read Spanish, the link below will help you with Mao. Basically, Mao is a Ta?no word which some historians say means "miracle" but the popular belief today is that it means "land between rivers" according to the link. Hope this helps.

H

hillbilly

Furthermore...

And, as usually happens, the town is not, repeat NOT named "Valverde Mao" but rather, Mao, Valverde.
Valverde is the province and Santa Cruz de Mao is the town's name.
Mao is generally considered to be a Taino word.
Valverde is a distinguished old family that has given presidents and lawyers to the nation. Jos? Manuel Valverde

When I first came here, I was told i was going to Mao to work. When I asked some young dominican students about it, they all told me "Valverde Mao"...

There are some raunchy stories about the place, mostly not true, but funny, none the less...

HB

J

Joe Kendall

Thanks to all

Another mystery solved. I lived in Moncion for a few years and always wondered how Mao got its name. Now I know.

Gracias,

Joe