Moving to Santiago.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hello all.
It looks like a good place to get all the information about DR.
I recently got a job offering and my family will be heading south from New Jersey. Me and my wife had a big talk about moving there. This will be very interesting move because I am an US citizen who had lived in state for most of my life. And my wife lived most of her life in Korea before we got married. We will be moving to Santiago with our 18 months old son. My wife do not speak a word of Spanish and I know maybe 50 words at best. I know we will be guided closely by our colleagues but I know there can't be with us 24/7. I will be busy working my ass off so I may not notice but I guess for the time been my wife will be lonely as she will be moving away from her new friends in States.
Anyways...
It's nice to meet you all!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
KAM SA HAM NI DA! I think that is a greeting in Korean...

Anyway, there is a fairly large Korean community here in Santiago. Many play golf especially the women..and on Saturdays the men play in the mornings and afternoons. There are also a couple of Korean churches here.

So I am sure that you will be right at home...

Cordially,

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Has your wife gained her US citizenship yet? If not, be careful to maintain her permanent residence status.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Welcome to DR1! Best of luck on your quest.
Thanks Set1404! We'll need all the luck we can get!!! It sure will be interesting 5(short) - 10(long) years...

Get her into a Spanish class asap!!
Hello RV429. I am planing to get my wife some Spanish lesson once we settle in Santiago. I don't really know where to start on this since my wife lacks in English and still attached to our 18 months old. Perhaps I can start her with couple of private lessons per week? I'll see all the options when we get there.

KAM SA HAM NI DA! I think that is a greeting in Korean...

Anyway, there is a fairly large Korean community here in Santiago. Many play golf especially the women..and on Saturdays the men play in the mornings and afternoons. There are also a couple of Korean churches here.

So I am sure that you will be right at home...

Cordially,

HB
Hello HB! kam sa ham ni da is thank you, maybe you were thinking Ahn nyung ha sae yo?
I realized that Koreans abroad are strongly bonded surrounding around churches and perhaps I'll have to fellow her to churches from now on :(. Anyways I have started to play golf couple of years ago and really like the game. When I visited last month, I had an opportunity to play on 3 courses, once in Santiago, couple of days in La Estencia(sp?) and one between (forgot name). It was my first time playing outside NJ/NY area and first time ever playing with caddy. Until last month I never knew why people call this game relaxing and importance of caddy but I know now. I am looking into buying a decent ladies used set and let my wife get some basic lessons here with Korean teaching pros here. Perhaps church and golf will make the change little easier for her.

Has your wife gained her US citizenship yet? If not, be careful to maintain her permanent residence status.
Hello belmont. My wife doesn't have her citizenship yet. I read on other forum that she either have to wait another year for her to get citizenship or cancel the current green card and do a direct consular filling(processing) when we want to go back to state. I am not 100% sure on this but around next week I'll visit one of the immigration lawyer and discuss the matter. Although I don't ever want to be separated but I'll have her get her citizenship first if I have to. We will discuss this matter thoroughly with the lawyer and my family.

Welcome to DR1. You will enjoy living in Santiago.
Thanks Frank! I am sure it won't be easy but hopefully everything goes well.

May 29, 2006
KAM SA HAM NI DA!

HB

"Thank you," maybe?

Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap would be interesting with Dominican ingredients. I also bet you could make some great Kim Chi with the pencil thin Dominican hot peppers!

Any Korean restaurants in Santiago?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not yet.
Sorry about the Thank you,and yes, I should have remembered Ahn nyoung ha sae yo....

You will find the change easier than you think...and Santiago is a nice place to live.

HB

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
"Thank you," maybe?

Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap would be interesting with Dominican ingredients. I also bet you could make some great Kim Chi with the pencil thin Dominican hot peppers!

Any Korean restaurants in Santiago?
Hello PeterInBrat!!!
Even though my wife is excellent cook, Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap will be out of our diet. It's not the process of making it but it's just that we don't have the stone pot and with growing lists of spices, sauces, electronic & appliances and others. I don't want to add more to her lists. Only if she can live on steak, potato, hamburger and occasional seafood & Korean foods, like me, we wouldn't need all the stuff like rice cake makers and tofu making machines along with hundreds of spices she has it listed on several notepads. We would have to survive on just Bi Bim Bop minus the stone pots.

I heard there's a Chinese store that sells a necessary cabbage and radish that is required to make Kim Chee? We will be bringing a Kim Chee Fridge with us so I'll need this info later on. My wife wants to make enough to last good 4-6 month supply. My wife says "it's make it and forget it" type of thing...

And as far as Korean restaurant goes, I stopped by one in SD. And the taste was pretty good. It wasn't like many restaurants in New York, but it was definitely not in bad category. And I heard there used to be one in Santiago but now it's closed?

Anywho...
Nice to meet ya!..