Bringing my a dog...

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
Hi,

just wondering what the rules are about bringing a dog to the DR... Rhodesian Ridgeback by the way, my personal bodyguard :)

Thanks

Joykirk

Oct 14, 2011
We just came 3 weeks ago with our Toy poodle from Japan, we had a bunch of papers, the dog's passport and when we arrived here, they only wanted to see the money you have to pay for bringing the Dog 300 pesos.

So basically you need nothing, however I suggest you have a look at that link above.

Dec 21, 2008
bringing your dog has some requirements....

Check with your airline regarding travel kennel requirements. Your dog must be able to stand up freely and be able to turn around comfortably. They do differ from airline to airline.

Airlines also have weight restrictions for dogs a well. Check with your airline. Most have a 100 lb combined kennel/dog weight restriction.

Airlines also have travel blackouts for dogs so again, check with your airline.

Your dog needs a vet's health certificate that is valid (only valid for 30 days). Your dog needs a current rabies shot as well. Distemper is rampid here so we had booster shots for our dogs. We also had a series of immunizations for liptosporosis (sp?) as that can cause some serious health issues.

There are some different things floating around the island so make sure your dog has been protected against fleas and ticks and that you treat your dog regularly (every 3 - 4 weeks) while you are here.

We brought two dogs from Canada a year ago and they asked for our health certificates in customs. We paid $10 US per dog to bring them in and get an "official" form to bring them into the country.

Again, check with your airline and your vet to make sure you have your bases covered.

You will also want to invest (not expensive but worth it) in a poison kit once you get here. Better safe than sorry.

Safe travels!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
About the poison kits, did you buy that kit in DR or in Canada/US?

Cost? What does it bring? Thanks.
Check with your airline regarding travel kennel requirements. Your dog must be able to stand up freely and be able to turn around comfortably. They do differ from airline to airline.

Airlines also have weight restrictions for dogs a well. Check with your airline. Most have a 100 lb combined kennel/dog weight restriction.

Airlines also have travel blackouts for dogs so again, check with your airline.

Your dog needs a vet's health certificate that is valid (only valid for 30 days). Your dog needs a current rabies shot as well. Distemper is rampid here so we had booster shots for our dogs. We also had a series of immunizations for liptosporosis (sp?) as that can cause some serious health issues.

There are some different things floating around the island so make sure your dog has been protected against fleas and ticks and that you treat your dog regularly (every 3 - 4 weeks) while you are here.

We brought two dogs from Canada a year ago and they asked for our health certificates in customs. We paid $10 US per dog to bring them in and get an "official" form to bring them into the country.

Again, check with your airline and your vet to make sure you have your bases covered.

You will also want to invest (not expensive but worth it) in a poison kit once you get here. Better safe than sorry.

Safe travels!

Dec 21, 2008
I got mine in Sosua from AAAS (Friends of the Animals). There is an injection as well as some pills. I have the instructions for use written on the bag. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't much. Each kit is based on the dog's weight so if you have more than one dog, you need more than one kit. I keep mine in the fridge and I think I was told they are good for about a year and then they should be replaced. I have never had to use one so that is a good thing!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Awesome! THanks for the info.

I got mine in Sosua from AAAS (Friends of the Animals). There is an injection as well as some pills. I have the instructions for use written on the bag. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't much. Each kit is based on the dog's weight so if you have more than one dog, you need more than one kit. I keep mine in the fridge and I think I was told they are good for about a year and then they should be replaced. I have never had to use one so that is a good thing!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The kit is for the poiisonous toads that used to roam (maybe still do) the cane fields.

One sniff by a dog and it'll be dead in less than an hour.
They curl up in the corner and suffer, I'm told
Thats when you use the kit.

Big toads.. Japanese i think brought in to kill the vermin eating the sugar cane.

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
About the rabies, the conditions are that the vaccine be valid for the year and cannot be done 30 days prior to travel. They also want to make sure that they have been treated for parasites inside and out. With that done, they will issue a health certificate.

Good luck!

Dec 21, 2008
The kit is for the poiisonous toads that used to roam (maybe still do) the cane fields.

One sniff by a dog and it'll be dead in less than an hour.
They curl up in the corner and suffer, I'm told
Thats when you use the kit.

Big toads.. Japanese i think brought in to kill the vermin eating the sugar cane.

yes, definitely will work for that but I have mine in case someone decides to poison my dogs...I am more worried about that than a toad. Dog poisoning is on the increase on the North Coast. I am told that the toads are white in colour with blue eyes. I have never seen one but it is probably because we aren't anywhere near sugar cane.

I check my yard every morning when I let my dogs out...can't be too careful!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can hear them at night sometimes - like huge frog noise.

I'm not sure the poison pack will work if they lace meat w/ rat poison for the dog.

I would check on that. My kit is only for the toad, I was told.

Dec 21, 2008
When I got mine, it was specifically for poisoned meat and anything else after that. Of course, if your dog is poisoned by anything, it is extremely important to treat the dog immediately and then get your dog to your vet for further treatment. I wouldn't give the dog the poison kit and then take my chances.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We just bought new anti poison kits for our dogs. They consist of two syringes and two tablets. These kits are the combined anti poison kits for Organic Phosphate poisoning, Warfarin (rat) poisoning and Cane Toad poisoning.

Symptoms of organic phosphate poisoning : trembling, vomiting, diarrhea, foaming at the mouth and muscle spasms. This poison is very quick and strong, can kill your pet in 30 minutes.

Symptoms of warfarin poisoning (rat poisoning) : slow poison that can take day's to kill your pet. Your pet will get progressevely more tired, very thirsty, cold ears, fast heart and sometimes will bleed from the gums, urinate blood or has blood spots on the skin.

Symptoms of Bufa Marinus (cane toad) : when pet touches the toad, its body temperature will rapidly raise to 106F/41C at which the brain begins to die, heart rate goes up to over 220beats/min and your pet will become very quite usually hiding in a corner. You do not have much time.

If you see any of these symptoms in your pet, DO NOT HESITATE to give the anti poison kit, they can save your pet and if it was false alarm, they do not harm your dogs system.

Acira

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
Thanks all, coming in from The Netherlands in time.. so might stop by at the DR Consulat here.