watch your money

escandinavo

Jan 19, 2012
I have travelled in almost every country in Latin America, but the "gringo tax" for almost every service in DR is a new experience. In some places people try to cheat you, put this custom in DR is almost all over. This is in great contrast to the general hospitality in DR. Sad but true!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What "gringo taxes" are you talking about? I've been living here for 26 years and was not aware I was paying extras taxes simply because I was a gringo.

For example, when I go to the doctor I pay more because I don't have one of the insurance plans. But the higher price is because of that; if I had the insurance I would pay the same as Dominicans. The cobrador on the guagua tries to collect more from gringos, but if you know the price and pay that, there is nothhing he can do about it. At the supermarket I pay what everyone pays regardless of nationality, same when I take Metro and Caribe Tours. Likewise at restaurants; all patrons pay the price on the menu.

Welcome to dr1.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cultural Behaviour

I have travelled in almost every country in Latin America, but the "gringo tax" for almost every service in DR is a new experience. In some places people try to cheat you, put this custom in DR is almost all over.
I would have thought that this is so in all Latin America, sort of a "cultural" behaviour, you know.

Well, guess, I shall have to stand corrected then.... :cross-eye

donP

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Such a skeptic Don, there are Boca Chica Restaurants with two menus but by and large what Ken said is spot on.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Such a skeptic Don, there are Boca Chica Restaurants with two menus

This is true!!!! Been there, done that. Did not pay the "extra" menu. Made a stink in my best BB attitude. They always came back saying "tu eres un tiguere, tu sabes" lol

LivingHappy

Dec 13, 2011
I have to laugh. I sometimes feel as though I am getting charged extra due to my red hair (screaming gringo here), but I have never heard of an actual gringo tax. What part of the island is this happening to you?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The cobrador on the guagua tries to collect more from gringos, but if you know the price and pay that, there is nothhing he can do about it.

well that's it - if you know the price, then you just give them the exact amount. There are a million of small businesses in DR where the price is not posted, and if you are not local and don't know the price, they will try to rip you off 99 times out of 100. That is the gringo tax.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I think by "gringo tax" the op is referring to the pervasive habit of shop keepers to try and charge higher prices to non Dominicans. This goes on everywhere and takes some getting used to but after a time its just a normal part of DR life.
Many salesmen will refuse to sell at the normal price and will lose the sale rather than to come down to the normal pricing.
That I have a hard time understanding. Its like when they put up a house for sale. They will hang on and hang on and even raise the price when it does not sell.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I've found in 5 yrs. it's the gringo businessman you need to worry about in this country, not a Dominican.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
so wise words coming from the one who wrote this post.
as he said, if price is not posted and you dont know it, you will be ripped-off 99.99999% of times. It is a fkng fact ...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There are a million of small businesses in DR where the price is not posted, and if you are not local and don't know the price, they will try to rip you off 99 times out of 100. That is the gringo tax.

I have walked out of soooo many establishments because of exactly this...my girlfriend had surgery one hour ago and her insurance covered 85%...I have to pay the balance. Her mother is handling the conversation about the 15% financial obligation until there is a final amount, then I appear and pay. You have to be on your toes with whatever you do here....

B in Santiago

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I Agree

Gringo tax is a good word for it. For those of us who have lived and experienced this daily, it is a fact of life for Gringos in the DR. The problem with many businesses in my area, Rio San Juan and the North Coast in general, is that there are no prices on most things like clothing, shoes, fans, etc...(outside the supermarkets). So, the general rule of thumb is to send the wife (Dominican) in to check on how much it cost before I show my white skin. This works only the first time because after that they know she is married to a Gringo and will quote her a higher price the next time, which she usually ends up arguing over because she knows it should be cheaper.

If I go in alone the price will usually depend on two things: 1) I'm a gringo so I know, and expect it to be quoted at a higher price, 2) Percentage increase will also depend on your level of Spanish language skills and letting them know you live there and are aware of the market value of the item. Sometime I might throw in a, "Yo vivo aqu?, dame el precio Dominicano".

Again, like many here there are many places that don't do this but when it comes to pricing things in the DR, for a Gringo, it's definitely an art form. I can't say how many times I've argued over a quoted price that was suddenly higher when the job was done, or getting ready to be started. Perfect example, how much for a inversor, batteries and installation? 25,000 pesos. After the job, here's 25,000 pesos. No, it's 26,500. You told me 25,000. Yes but that didn't include the cables I had to buy. And the argument continues.........

donP

Dec 14, 2008
That's what wives are good for.

They always came back saying "tu eres un tiguere, tu sabes" lol

Which is sort of the "cultural" substitute for a civilized "Sorry, it was my fault." (after having added the date to the bill ...). :laugh:
Normally I let my wife negotiate with "craftsmen" or at shops, it does make a difference.

I also know various restaurants where only 'gringos' are charged ITBIS (I know it is the law...).

donP

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe that happens in smaller Dominican owned/operated businesses. In all the businesses I’ve owned/operated/managed. There was one price. Why should I sell my stuff to a Dominican at a lower price when I can sell it to a gringo for the normal price??? As for the taxes, if you don’t charge the ITBIS you’re taking a big chance. A restaurant owner friend of mine did not charge the ITBIS etc. to a group of Dominicans when they came for lunch. Guess what? They were from the DGII and it cost him a hefty fine. You never know who your customers are. Just simply ask if there is a discount for cash in lieu of credit card and usually it’s a yes. As far as dealing with “none organized no overhead and similar suppliers, repairmen etc.” go for it. But Gringo prices in bigger places, I doubt it. Clinics, well maybe. They tend to charge a bit less to poor “Financially” Dominicans. That I understand and am in total agreement.