Divorce

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
What are the rules and laws for a divorce in the DR.
How the split will be done e.g. from house, bank account car and so on?
What about the bank account which is only registered on one partner?

Thanks

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey D.,

Hmmm you are a Gringo divorcing a Dominican? I was married in the DR (to a Dominicano) and when I returned to Canada, I divorced him here. I didn't do anything in the DR. We had separate bank accounts but I assume if it's only registered to one person that's either a lawyer's job to handle or the owner takes all...??

The divorce I went through was called an Uncontested Divorce and it was extremely simple, no lawyers required. Then again, now the ex is telling me I need to get a translated copy to him, notarized, because the divorce isn't yet recognized in the DR. I think this is really strange...

Anyway, if you're an outsider I'd really recommend getting it done in your own turf. I spoke to a Dominican lawyer who told me, "We can make this super easy by just denying you had a child together". I told him I believed that was highly illegal, and he just shrugged. Then I threw him out of my house :)

Good luck...

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Hey D.,

Hmmm you are a Gringo divorcing a Dominican? I was married in the DR (to a Dominicano) and when I returned to Canada, I divorced him here. I didn't do anything in the DR. We had separate bank accounts but I assume if it's only registered to one person that's either a lawyer's job to handle or the owner takes all...??

The divorce I went through was called an Uncontested Divorce and it was extremely simple, no lawyers required. Then again, now the ex is telling me I need to get a translated copy to him, notarized, because the divorce isn't yet recognized in the DR. I think this is really strange...

Anyway, if you're an outsider I'd really recommend getting it done in your own turf. I spoke to a Dominican lawyer who told me, "We can make this super easy by just denying you had a child together". I told him I believed that was highly illegal, and he just shrugged. Then I threw him out of my house :)
Good luck...

I don't know why you all sweating it. It's the dr for heaven's sake. What husband/ wife?? what kid?? Case solved everyone goes home happy lol

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Hey D.,

Good luck...

He should have been sent a (sealed, not notarized) copy of the divorce (not translated) by the court where you filed. He can certainly apply for one there, in writing and a copy with the jurisdictional seal will be made available (for a fee, of course). He can then get an official translation done with notary witness in the D.R. and file for his Dominican divorce based on that documentation.

He shouldn't be waiting on you to do his legal legwork for him. It's his life.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He can get your bank account frozen real easy without you even knowing it. Take out the cash now my dear. He is entitled to half of your bank accounts in the DR.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey Grey,

He was sent an original copy of the divorce certificate and 'lost' it. Only now it's become a big deal because he wants to divorce...and get out of the DR :)

And you're right...it's his life. I guess I just don't want any confrontation... :)

He should have been sent a (sealed, not notarized) copy of the divorce (not translated) by the court where you filed. He can certainly apply for one there, in writing and a copy with the jurisdictional seal will be made available (for a fee, of course). He can then get an official translation done with notary witness in the D.R. and file for his Dominican divorce based on that documentation.

He shouldn't be waiting on you to do his legal legwork for him. It's his life.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Yep, well you have a point, Jackichan! The only thing is, I don't feel great about lying on a legal document, even in the DR :) I 'declared' my daughter on the original divorce certificate from Canada (of which I have sole custody), so it just feels funny to lie...

Anyway, I think maybe the OP should contact a really solid legal professional in this instance, just to be sure :) Ugh, divorce...always even the most amicable ones are so unpleasant! I hope D.Rep will be ok :)

I don't know why you all sweating it. It's the dr for heaven's sake. What husband/ wife?? what kid?? Case solved everyone goes home happy lol

dlawyers

Dec 11, 2010
www.dlawyers.com
Every divorce case is different because it all depends on the specifics of the case.

What are the rules and laws for a divorce in the DR.
How the split will be done e.g. from house, bank account car and so on?
What about the bank account which is only registered on one partner?

Thanks

Every divorce is different, because it all depends on several factors that are unique only to your case. Therefore, the best way to go is to check with an experienced licensed Dominican attorney in Dominican Republic who is an expert in Dominican Family Law and explaining to him or her in full your case to ensure he/she will provide the correct legal option for your to embrace when getting divorced, ensuring that you both will get a valid divorce, to avoid any surprise in future.

It is true that Dominican Republic has a very bad reputation when it comes to legal matters, but if you work with the right and experienced attorneys, you will be good and safe. Please make sure to ask the attorney to send you free written information about the individual's qualifications, experience, international affiliations, credentials, network and resources. Do not rely only on their advertisement.

For a list of reputable and experienced attorneys you can visit: the US Embassy website in Santo Domingo at U.S. Citizen Services | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic (right side - List of local attorneys)

The divorce is a very important part of your life. Any decision you will take related to it, can make a huge difference in future if you have not explored all legal options for your specific case and taken the correct one.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hey D.,

Good luck...

I have been reading some of your post, and I'm sorry you marriage did not work out, but there are many fish in the sea so they say.

My question is your Uncontested Divorce in Canada you never had to step foot in the DR? Also do you know if this is available in the USA? I'm kinda going through the same thing.

mashinka410

Oct 14, 2008
I got married in June of 2010 in Puerto Plata. Found out he was cheating few months later and have never been back. Unfortunately, I got laid off from work and have not been able to start the divorce process. I was told it's roughly $800. Can anyone recommend a cheaper lawyer? Or is this a standard rate? I live in NY.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just "Walk"!
There is no reason to divorce.I know an American guy who has three Dominican wives.
They can't find a baseball players real name,or age here,do you think they can find your wedding documents?
Sounds like he will not be coming after your "Fortune" anytime soon!
CC

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I got married in June of 2010 in Puerto Plata. Found out he was cheating few months later and have never been back. Unfortunately, I got laid off from work and have not been able to start the divorce process. I was told it's roughly $800. Can anyone recommend a cheaper lawyer? Or is this a standard rate? I live in NY.

I paid less but wouldn't refer the one I used. PM me for some thoughts.