House full of Dominicans

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Hi folks,

Well, this is something I never had happen in all the years I have lived here. My house is full of Dominicans who are afraid tonight.... Why? Good question. I guess it has to do with all the earthquakes the DR has felt over the last couple of weeks. It seems, they are scared to death that the "Big One" is about to happen and we are in for a hugh tidal wave here on the North Coast. Their words, not mine.

When I entered the house tonight, I ask if they were affraid a big earthquake was coming. (My wife primed me before we got home tonight) At first they laughted, then the laughter turned to embarrasment, then to fear. They started talkiing amougst themselves and it appears to me that they really do expect that the big one will come soon. Our house is at least 400 feet above sea level and that is why they are here tonight. In case the big one does come and there is a big tidal wave, they want to be high enough to escape the water.

I said, don't live in fear. If it is your time to go, then so be it. These Dominicans here tonight are God fearing religous people and really believe their time is about to come. I don't know what tomorrow may bring but I refuse to live in fear.

Dominicans are such lovely, uncomplicated people aren't they. Just thought I would share. I found it quite funny. Hope the big one does not come.

Take care,

Rick

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
there are certain religious zealots who use this tidal wave as a way to fill up churches. apparently it's a pretty common idea on the north coast, and i've even heard that this wave will be so big it "will reach santiago."

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
True story and i aint exaggerating a word. Today i got told that the dominican woman who resurrected a couple of weeks ago (somewhere in the campo) had a prophesy. She said this week the dr will experience two earthquakes. A mild one of about 5.0 and a huge one of 12.0 magnitude. I kept silent through the entire conversation. I didn't know how to respond. LOL

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
there are certain religious zealots who use this tidal wave as a way to fill up churches. apparently it's a pretty common idea on the north coast, and i've even heard that this wave will be so big it "will reach santiago."

Congrats LaTeacher you officially entitled to the off-topic section. Can't wait to get to the 500 mark

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Maremoto",tidal wave,hysteria is not new.Fifteen years ago,at my home in Arroyo Hondo SD,I awoke at 3am.to the entire family running into the street.They said there would first be an earthquake,followed by a tidal wave.They emplored
me to come outside.All the neighbors were already in the streets.I told them I preferred to die in my bed.
CC

May 29, 2006
A 12 would be 1000 times more powerful than the Japan Tsunami last year. There simply isn't enough stored energy in the DR fault lines for even another 7 as in Haiti. But IF the Canary Island mega tsunami ever happens(and that's a mighty big if), it would wipe out most of the Eastern US seaboard 20 miles in as well as the north and east coasts of the DR.

Mega Tsunami could hit the US - YouTube

Volcanic collapse- Mega Tsunami - BBC - YouTube

Canary Island Mega Tsunami

I lived on a Pacific atoll during a wave storm caused by a monsoon hundreds of miles away. It's kind of freaky when you're 5 ft above sea level (high ground on an atoll) and there are 20 ft waves crashing into the island about every 10 seconds. Because the island has steep undersea walls into the ocean, the waves got shot up into the air then crashed down as about 7ft waves when they finally hit dry land. Got my ankles wet a couple times, but it was never dangerous.. that time. Wish I had videos of that!