Airline fares

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I just got a quote from Spirit to go to the USA from Santo Domingo.
I was amazed only 88 dollars return including all taxes.
There must be an airline fare war going on.
I need to go to the UK and via Miami is one option.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?

pi2.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You did well.

I have an Orlando to SDQ JetBlue ticket for February - $99 + taxes = $154 One Way

I thought that was fine $99 each way.

Watch Spirit - you may not be done paying yet.
They charge for almost everything

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
remember your carry on

Because in addition to charging for checked luggage, they often charge you for the carry on as well...

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
My daughter experimented on using Spirit Air from Atlantic City, NJ to Santo Domingo. I believe she had to go through Fort Lauderdale or Orlando, one of those. Anyhow, the hassles of "add-ons" (luggage, overhead, seats, etc) and the crappy plane convinced her that for a few dollars more she will fly a real airline! She saved us all the headache, I'm sure.

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
yeah definitely watch out for spirit airlines. you WILL pay more than the advertised price. haven't flown them in over a year now and don't intend to fly them again. both ends of the flight from here to ft lauderdale were very late and off schedule. at the time i last flew with them it was 25 or 30 dollars to check a bag PLUS x amount for 0 to 20 lbs, 20 to 40 lbs and UP for more weight. i believe i paid either 60 or 65 dollars to check 1 bag. they have at least 2 more rows than delta or jetblue in the same model plane, very cramped.

Gary...er Capboink

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Need to use the bathroom $$$
Oh you expect to use toilet paper $$$

Spirit makes me feel like this is the pilot:

airplane_3.jpg

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Fly "Jet Blue"!
I don't need to say more!
CC

It is surely good for the planet if the airlines charge extra for luggage ; the airline must pay for the fuel to carry the extra and it also generates greenhouse gases. Some passengers do not need luggage and can travel with very lightweight clothing. i will leave my extensive wardrobe hehind - thanks for the warning.

Also it is good to use aircraft many hours a day. Plane manufacture is energy intensive. So a little inconvenince for passengers can save manufacturing extra planes.

Two more rows of seats also I guess saves GHG compared with JB if load factors are similar.

I think I can survive a 2 hour flight with a carry on bottle of juice.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Two solutions. They should charge by the kilo for passenger and luggage. Why does a 160 kilo person pay the same as one who weighs 45 or 50? And the other solution would also help the TSA. Everybody fly nude!

Yes he can,t wait till Russian airlines get here........

Recent advert:

[video=youtube;l0jm31TGhLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jm31TGhLY[/video]

Actually people should lean towards supporting all airlines that fly to the DR I think.

Clean light planes burn less fuel.....

pi2

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Yes he can,t wait till Russian airlines get here........

Recent advert:

Actually people should lean towards supporting all airlines that fly to the DR I think.

Clean light planes burn less fuel.....

pi2

Now that is a "car wash"!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Spirit" makes lots of "Stops" along it's convoluted routes.
THAT has to use a LOT more fuel than "non-stop" flights.
So much for charging for bags to reduce fuel consumption pi2!
CC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The price looks good until you start adding in your charge for each bag and the charge for a reserved seat. Good luck.

S

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
"Cheap",is CHEAP!
CC

Spirit Airlines (Nasdaq: SAVE) empowers customers to save money on air travel by offering ultra low base fares with a range of optional services for a fee, allowing customers the freedom to choose only the extras they value. This innovative approach grows the traveling market and stimulates new economic activity while creating new jobs. Spirit's modern fleet, configuration and other innovations enable Spirit to burn less fuel per seat than competitors, making Spirit one of the most environmentally-friendly U.S. carriers. Spirit's all-Airbus fleet currently operates more than 175 daily flights to over 45 destinations throughout the U.S., Latin America and Caribbean. Visit Spirit at
www.spirit.com

Spirit Airlines Reports November 2011 Traffic (NASDAQ:SAVE)

Load factors are very high. Its hub is in Florida - a high population area.

pi2