Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to expect from $1000 a month house rent in Santiago?

My colleague says expect to pay around US$1000 a month to rent a house and around US$700-US$800 for apartment. But with that money +$100-$200 more we can get decent 2 bedroom apartment in very nice neighborhood in New Jersey.
    So really....
    @hat should I expect with $1000 rent in Central part of Santiago?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Look here SuperCasas.com - Homes for sale Dominican Republic, condos, villas, caribbean real estate - super-casas to get an idea. You should be able to get it a bit cheaper than the prices they're asking. In The DR everything is negotiable.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koreano View Post
    My colleague says expect to pay around US$1000 a month to rent a house and around US$700-US$800 for apartment. But with that money +$100-$200 more we can get decent 2 bedroom apartment in very nice neighborhood in New Jersey.
    So really....
    @hat should I expect with $1000 rent in Central part of Santiago?
    In Santo Domingo, For 700-800 you can get a decent apartment in a nice middle class neighborhood (Evaristo Morales, Mirador Norte, Mirador Sur, El Millon, etc) Nothing fancy.
    Dont know about Santiago.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

THAT is almost 39,000 pesos!
    You can rent the "Palacio National" fot that!
    Just wait for "The Professor",he will tell you.
    CC

Post Thanks / Like

I did send you a PM describing one that I know about.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning & Welcome to Santiago. You received two great pieces of advice. 1 Any price other than a retail store is negotiable. Offer half what is asked and go from there being prepared to walk away. 2 Heed any advice from the poster known as Hillbilly who is a University Professor, Bon Vivant, and Hall of Fame Martial Artist. 3 One from me get an apartment on the second floor for security reasons. Good Luck

7. Likes CoreyH, PeteyPablo, DRob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, $1,000 USD? You can get a nice house for about 20,000 pesos, and an apartment for 13,000. It depends where you're looking to live (because you can get cheaper in the outskirts of the city or in less "fashionable" neighborhoods or more expensive in the super-elite neighborhoods).

Are you coming from work and do you need to live near your job?

I also agree with SantiagueroRD about the second or even third floor apartment - not just for security, but for the dirt - so much dust flies in from the street so it's less dusty the higher you get. Also, I'm kind of creeped out by rats, so I prefer to be higher.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For that price your friend expects you to live somewhere kinda posh...nothing wrong with that really

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaTeacher View Post
    I also agree with SantiagueroRD about the second or even third floor apartment - not just for security, but for the dirt - so much dust flies in from the street so it's less dusty the higher you get. Also, I'm kind of creeped out by rats, so I prefer to be higher.
    Not to mention cacatas..

Post Thanks / Like

Quite true! The further from the center you are, the cheaper the real estate. as for the comments on 2 and 3 (don't believe 2) and 3 is probably quite accurate. Of course in low rent areas there are not elevators or generators and you have to walk up and down those stairs with the baby and all that stuff...////

But, as I have mentioned before in other places, you usually get what you pay for, and you do need to talk to your fellow workers at the factory to see where and how they are doing... Use their experience to your advantage.

Cordially,

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast