What to expect from $1000 a month house rent in Santiago?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My colleague says expect to pay around US$1000 a month to rent a house and around US$700-US$800 for apartment. But with that money +$100-$200 more we can get decent 2 bedroom apartment in very nice neighborhood in New Jersey.
So really....
@hat should I expect with $1000 rent in Central part of Santiago?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
My colleague says expect to pay around US$1000 a month to rent a house and around US$700-US$800 for apartment. But with that money +$100-$200 more we can get decent 2 bedroom apartment in very nice neighborhood in New Jersey.
So really....
@hat should I expect with $1000 rent in Central part of Santiago?

In Santo Domingo, For 700-800 you can get a decent apartment in a nice middle class neighborhood (Evaristo Morales, Mirador Norte, Mirador Sur, El Millon, etc) Nothing fancy.
Dont know about Santiago.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning & Welcome to Santiago. You received two great pieces of advice. 1 Any price other than a retail store is negotiable. Offer half what is asked and go from there being prepared to walk away. 2 Heed any advice from the poster known as Hillbilly who is a University Professor, Bon Vivant, and Hall of Fame Martial Artist. 3 One from me get an apartment on the second floor for security reasons. Good Luck

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Wow, $1,000 USD? You can get a nice house for about 20,000 pesos, and an apartment for 13,000. It depends where you're looking to live (because you can get cheaper in the outskirts of the city or in less "fashionable" neighborhoods or more expensive in the super-elite neighborhoods).

Are you coming from work and do you need to live near your job?

I also agree with SantiagueroRD about the second or even third floor apartment - not just for security, but for the dirt - so much dust flies in from the street so it's less dusty the higher you get. Also, I'm kind of creeped out by rats, so I prefer to be higher.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
For that price your friend expects you to live somewhere kinda posh...nothing wrong with that really

May 29, 2006
I also agree with SantiagueroRD about the second or even third floor apartment - not just for security, but for the dirt - so much dust flies in from the street so it's less dusty the higher you get. Also, I'm kind of creeped out by rats, so I prefer to be higher.

Not to mention cacatas..

spider.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Quite true! The further from the center you are, the cheaper the real estate. as for the comments on 2 and 3 (don't believe 2) and 3 is probably quite accurate. Of course in low rent areas there are not elevators or generators and you have to walk up and down those stairs with the baby and all that stuff...:(////

But, as I have mentioned before in other places, you usually get what you pay for, and you do need to talk to your fellow workers at the factory to see where and how they are doing... Use their experience to your advantage.

Cordially,

HB

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Please note that I did not intend to insinuate that Professor HB is attractive. In fact I hang out with him because he makes me look better!!!

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
depending on where you want to live you can get a 3 bedroom apartment for 9,000 to 15,000 pesos.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
About a year and a half ago i used to rent a 2bedroom + 1 service room + large living room, furnished apt in Zonal Universitaria area (one street off the junction btw the Lincon and Jose Contreas avenues). The apartments are owned by an old spanish lady

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
About a year and a half ago i used to rent a 2bedroom + 1 service room + large living room, furnished apt in Zonal Universitaria area (one street off the junction btw the Lincon and Jose Contreas avenues). The apartments are owned by an old spanish lady

Ok, and???

Also, this thread is about SANTIAGO!

aguadecoco

Jan 23, 2012
Old lady (64) need a room. I like to visit the Bani Town, I have never stay in Bani and I like Mangos, and want to try them again and have the opportunity to know the town better, no just passing by on a Sunday. I want to attend the Banilejos'Mango Festival. I am looking for a Christian family renting a room for 7-10 days in Bani. I was born and raised in the capital Santo Domingo. Please contact me at camisa532@gmail.com

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Ok, and???

Also, this thread is about SANTIAGO!

My bad i forgot to include the price info. It cost 17k DOP monthly. Maybe the price might have slightly gone up (considering the 10% yearly increments). Just thought it was worth a mention.