Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AMET using radar

Went to SD from Las Terrenas the other day and saw no less than 3 AMET vehicles running radar on the new highway. I had my cruise control set at 60mph. A local guy in a small, fast sedan blew by me doing probably 70mph or better. About 1/2 mile later as I came over a small hill the police had pulled him over and were in the process of giving him a ticket. Keep it around 60mph and you will not be stopped.

S

2. Likes susan77 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Which new highway? The one to Las Terrenas or the one from Nagua to SD. On the Nagua one they have been using it for a long time. But they are hand held units from AMET standing on the side of the road. I assume these guys are actually chasing cars on the Las Terranas one. Is this the way it happened?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys have any idea what kind of radar? The easy way to tell:

LIDAR (Laser): They hold the radar gun like a rifle and look through the scope

Doppler (X,K,KA Band): They hold it like you would a pistol at a gun range

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Pistol type is what I've seen.

BTW, I'm told that the ticket is a"flat rate", "one fine fits all" whether it be 70mph or 90mph.

Plus, these guys are no dummies - they always stand in the shade, at the same spot every day from what I've seen

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Pistol type is what I've seen.

BTW, I'm told that the ticket is a"flat rate", "one fine fits all" whether it be 70mph or 90mph.

Plus, these guys are no dummies - they always stand in the shade, at the same spot every day from what I've seen
    In "my book" these guys are definitely dummies.....same spot all the time!
    BTW Ask for a calibration-report of the radar they used.....must be up-to-date otherwise doesn't stand a chance in court!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    BTW Ask for a calibration-report of the radar they used.....must be up-to-date otherwise doesn't stand a chance in court!
    Court? Calibration Report? You must be joking. This is the DR. Just pay the propina and go on your way.

8. Likes Celt202, susan77, badpiece33, granca, drstock and 1 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that works in the US, but does that actually work in DR courts?

Maybe worth it to get a cheapo radar detector.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ask them when they stop you for speeding, worked so far twice for me in Juan Dolio.
    They are kind of surprised and wonder themself about it...haha...and no propina!

11. Likes Celt202 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The cop will laugh at you and the judge will just laugh at you and probably increase your fine for wasting the courts time, this is the Dominican Republic after all.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Two female AMET oficers stopped me recently on Lincoln in Santo Domingo. Travelling north as I apprached Sarasota the light changed to yellow when I was just about 50 feet from the light so I went through.

The discussion was interesting. They told me that they are giving tickets to people who go through yellow lights. I told them that travelling at a normal rate of speed it would have been dangerous to stop quickly since cars tend to follow too closely so the risk of getting hit from behind was high. They agreed. No ticket.

Most if not every AMET officer I've ever talked to has been professional and intelligent.

PN? otra cosa...

15. Likes mike l liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast