AMET using radar

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Went to SD from Las Terrenas the other day and saw no less than 3 AMET vehicles running radar on the new highway. I had my cruise control set at 60mph. A local guy in a small, fast sedan blew by me doing probably 70mph or better. About 1/2 mile later as I came over a small hill the police had pulled him over and were in the process of giving him a ticket. Keep it around 60mph and you will not be stopped.

S

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Which new highway? The one to Las Terrenas or the one from Nagua to SD. On the Nagua one they have been using it for a long time. But they are hand held units from AMET standing on the side of the road. I assume these guys are actually chasing cars on the Las Terranas one. Is this the way it happened?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Do you guys have any idea what kind of radar? The easy way to tell:

LIDAR (Laser): They hold the radar gun like a rifle and look through the scope

Doppler (X,K,KA Band): They hold it like you would a pistol at a gun range

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pistol type is what I've seen.

BTW, I'm told that the ticket is a"flat rate", "one fine fits all" whether it be 70mph or 90mph.

Plus, these guys are no dummies - they always stand in the shade, at the same spot every day from what I've seen:lick:

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Pistol type is what I've seen.

BTW, I'm told that the ticket is a"flat rate", "one fine fits all" whether it be 70mph or 90mph.

Plus, these guys are no dummies - they always stand in the shade, at the same spot every day from what I've seen:lick:

In "my book" these guys are definitely dummies.....same spot all the time!
BTW Ask for a calibration-report of the radar they used.....must be up-to-date otherwise doesn't stand a chance in court!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
BTW Ask for a calibration-report of the radar they used.....must be up-to-date otherwise doesn't stand a chance in court!

Court? Calibration Report? You must be joking. This is the DR. Just pay the propina and go on your way.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

I know that works in the US, but does that actually work in DR courts?

Maybe worth it to get a cheapo radar detector.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Just ask them when they stop you for speeding, worked so far twice for me in Juan Dolio.
They are kind of surprised and wonder themself about it...haha...and no propina!

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004

The cop will laugh at you and the judge will just laugh at you and probably increase your fine for wasting the courts time, this is the Dominican Republic after all.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Two female AMET oficers stopped me recently on Lincoln in Santo Domingo. Travelling north as I apprached Sarasota the light changed to yellow when I was just about 50 feet from the light so I went through.

The discussion was interesting. They told me that they are giving tickets to people who go through yellow lights. I told them that travelling at a normal rate of speed it would have been dangerous to stop quickly since cars tend to follow too closely so the risk of getting hit from behind was high. They agreed. No ticket.

Most if not every AMET officer I've ever talked to has been professional and intelligent.

PN? otra cosa...:tired:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We were busted once by some police with radar in the DR - by the time we pulled over we were quite a ways up the road - they tried to start their car to come up after us but it wouldn't start. I am sure those hand motions were go on - not come back this way.... so we left ;)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Two female AMET oficers stopped me recently on Lincoln in Santo Domingo. Travelling north as I apprached Sarasota the light changed to yellow when I was just about 50 feet from the light so I went through.

The discussion was interesting. They told me that they are giving tickets to people who go through yellow lights. I told them that travelling at a normal rate https://twitter.com/teobonilla/status/162197476877668352of speed it would have been dangerous to stop quickly since cars tend to follow too closely so the risk of getting hit from behind was high. They agreed. No ticket.

Most if not every AMET officer I've ever talked to has been professional and intelligent.

PN? otra cosa...:tired:

Male AMET are reasonable and give you a chance to explain your point of view. Female AMET aren't.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
maybe that's where all the necessary radar equipment is so they can't upgrade el catey airport to get flights from the US, AMET has it. and it doesn't sound out of the realm of dominican thinking......

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Do they have interceptors cars??? if no don't worry about they won't fallow you...

I used to wave to my hand and flash the head lights saying good bye any time I was requested to stop by police in DR...

They stayed quite, no much they can do driving 1992 Toyota corolla.

JJ

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Do they have interceptors cars??? if no don't worry about they won't fallow you...

I used to wave to my hand and flash the head lights saying good bye any time I was requested to stop by police in DR...

They stayed quite, no much they can do driving 1992 Toyota corolla.

JJ

The ones that were on the SD-Samana highway had a good-looking motorcycle parked right next to them. I'm sure they could have caught up to my Picanto if they had wanted.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The ones that were on the SD-Samana highway had a good-looking motorcycle parked right next to them. I'm sure they could have caught up to my Picanto if they had wanted.

During president Balaguer governments people was to respect the province patrols who by the time were riding the famous 750 CC Harley Davidson, Fords and Chevrolet cars equipped with radars.

This is no new.

I'm talking when DR was a rich country no anymore!

JJ