Just got my Cedula...Passport on the way!!!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Yesterday I was at the Dominican Consulate in Miami, and I finally got my Cedula!

Quick story...

As I walked in to the Consulate I flirted with the receptionist (she was a looker!) and cracked a few jokes. She eventually asked if I needed help, and I told her I am picking up my Cedula for the first time. "Y tu eres Dominicano?" she asked. I really enjoy that response lol

I went to the back room where the JCE is located and was promptly handed some documents to sign...and VIOLA! I am now the proud owner of a shiny new Cedula.

As I was walking out, the receptionist asked "If you want, you can apply for your Passport while you are here, since it is empty it will be really quick." Well now that you mention it, I don't mind if I do!

Fifteen minutes and $110 later, I am walking out of the door. I go back in a week to pick up my passport! It is nice to finally have all my 'ducks in a row'. I am now a fully documented citizen of the DR!

For anyone in Florida, the DR Consulate in Miami is surprisingly efficient and helpful, don't hesitate to use them. I followed a lot of the info that was posted on another thread (thanks guys!!)

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Very good PeteyPablo! Dominican citizenship does has its advantages! Quick question....did you have to do anything on the DR side? Or was it all done through the Dominican consulate here in Miami? I'm US citizen but my parents are Dominican, was hoping to become a dual citizen as well, but I thought things were to be done in the DR, that is, unless you were born in DR and already have dual status....thanks and congrats!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Did a bunch of posts get pruned from this thread, or what?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks mods!

You can do 90% of the process in the states. I had someone in DR do it for me, but I also helped someone else through the process here. It is easy and cheaper to do the process here in Miami.

Funny enough the consulate is the easiest part of the process. The biggest pain in the a$$ is getting all the documents you need stateside. I could guide you through the process if you need some help.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I have my Cedula and Residency. How hard would it be to get the passport? There is an embassy in NYC conviently located next to the NYC Hardrock Cafe. Is it worth the effort?

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Very good PeteyPablo! Dominican citizenship does has its advantages!

Can someone clearly explain the advantages or post a link to a thread that does? I tried the search function but could not sort anything out of the results without having advanced search options.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The advantages of being a citizen are that it is no longer necessary to renew residency or a foreign cedula. The citizen will receive a Dominican cedula, with full voting rights, a Dominican birth certificate and a Dominican passport. As well as being able to vote, the citizen can also hold public office at all levels apart from that of President of the Republic.

Matilda

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Awesome Matilda, I didn't know about a few of those. There are also a few others that would interest expats.

1) You can open bank accounts as a Dominican citizen (circumvents the reporting requirement banks will have to Uncle Sam)
NOTE: Many "safe haven" banks worldwide now refuse to open accounts for Americans because of the reporting requirements implemented by the IRS

2) You can travel to countries which the US does not allow
NOTE: In my particular case I have family in Cuba that I want to visit again WITHOUT restriction

3) You can open a business in the Dominican Republic and elsewhere as a Dominican

4) While traveling in some countries I would not want to flash an American passport for safety reasons

If you want to lean more, I highly suggest reading the Simon Black's website Sovereign Man ...you will then see how a passport for a "third world" country is very appealing.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The citizen will receive a Dominican cedula, with full voting rights, a Dominican birth certificate and a Dominican passport.

Can you explain the Dominican birth certificate?

(I'm guessing it would be in Spanish, but will still list all your statistics--date, place--of birth) as on the original.
Is it just a legal translation of a foreign birth certificate, or does it somehow classify the person as a Dominican born abroad?

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Ok, I will try to break it down...

The Dominican government recognizes the right for individuals to become citizens if your parent(s) were Dominican citizens themselves....even if you were born abroad. You must show proof that at least one of your parents was a Dominican citizen in the form of a Dominican 'Acta de Nacimiento' (birth certificate).

Once it is established that you are eligible (and you submit all of your documentation), they will record all of your statistics including your date of birth and location of birth (I believe this is recorded at the JCE - Junta Central Electoral..not 100% sure). They then issue your Dominican birth certificate and it reflects the actual city/state you were born in.

The Dominican birth certificate is in Spanish, and it reflects all your actual statistics. It is identical to a regular birth certificate used for Dominicans born on the island. The difference would be your actual location of birth

They do slightly change your name though. Your name will be registered as follows: First Name - Middle Name - Father's Last Name - Mother's Last Name. Funny enough when I saw that I stopped the lady and was like "wait, you made a mistake, that is not part of my last name" LOL egg on my face, that's just how they do it!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
hi, very happy for u...how long did the process take you Cedula and price?

I went to the JCE (located within the same building as the Dominican Embassy in Miami) on approximately 10/20/11. I showed my Dominican birth certificate, they took my photo and my fingerprints, I paid $15, and I was on my way in under 30 minutes.

They advised me the process would take approx two months, but I would get a phone call as soon as it was ready. The lady advised me I can check the status of my application online on the JCE | Junta Central Electoral website. I had no rush for it so I kind of forgot all about it. Come the first week of January, I remembered and checked online...it was ready! I called to make sure they had it...yup and I was good to go! (I never did get that phone call lol)

I was busy and couldn't make it down for a few weeks...til 1/20/11. As far as I can tell, they are pretty close to the 2 month estimate they give.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Congratulations!

Can you tell me if there are any other circumstances that would allow a us citizen to obtain Dominican citizenship without being born in the Dr or from Dominican parents?

I once read that if you first become a legal resident and than after a certain amount of time like 3-5-years post obtaining Dominican residency you might be eligible for Dominican Citizenship.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Let me try to explain... They call it a "transcripcion de acta" which means your foreign birth certificate gets inserted into a dominican "baby book" and you get a "dominican birth certificate" that states the birth information on your foreign birth certificate. You can use this one (not your foreign one) in the DR and you can ask for reissues just like a domincan born person would with the libro,folio,acta numbers.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Let me try to explain... They call it a "transcripcion de acta" which means your foreign birth certificate gets inserted into a dominican "baby book" and you get a "dominican birth certificate" that states the birth information on your foreign birth certificate. You can use this one (not your foreign one) in the DR and you can ask for reissues just like a domincan born person would with the libro,folio,acta numbers.

Tiguerita....Yes, that name "transcripcion de acta" sounds familiar. And you are correct, I do have a libro#, folio and acta #. For what it's worth they did return my birth certificate...go figure.

For anyone else interested in doing this process as I did (son/daughter of a Dominican national), I just heard from my friend (lawyer in DR) that they are no longer allowing this process to allow dual citizenship. I don't have anymore details, but I suggest contacting the Dominican Embassy or JCE to verify and hopefully it's not a case of info getting flipped around due to the 'grapevine'.

Ozzyny

May 10, 2008
So you are saying that I can process my Dominican citizenship from the states? ( I am in NY.)

I was always told I needed to do that in DR which is why I've waited in doing so but if it can be done from here I rather take care of it now.

emiliagray

Jun 29, 2012
I'm a US citizen & my mother was born in DR. She came to the US when she was young & doesn't have a cedula. Do I need my mother to get her cedula before I can start the process of getting my dual citizenship??

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I have a Dominican parent and I am currently going through this process.
The Dominican Consulate in Miami (whewww rude!) gave me conflicting information. They really have no idea as to the correct process and advised me that it was impossible to have it done from the USA especially if you were not a resident of Miami (huh?).
I then spoke to the Dom. Consulate in NY which advised me of the process just as described above. The fee is $450US and $80US for the translations. The process takes about 2 months and they will mail the Dominican birth certificate to my US address.

Your Dominican parent does not need a cedula. You just need their recent legalized birth certificate form the Oficina Central del Estado Civil.

Good luck

Ccarabella

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
If you are not Dominican born ,and have permanent residency,and Cedula ,what documents do you need ,to apply for a passport citizenship?