Expats Trying To Sell Real Estate By Being Friendly When The See Other Expats !.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
This is not the first time but it happened again today.

You do not need a real estate license in the DR so many people who live here will try to make friends with tourists to sell them property.

They could refer you to this agent, lawyer etc and it is a great way for them to make a living off of tourists that arrive here.

Everyone gets a Commission !

They will say that with the big down trend in prices that you will double your money if you buy now and that was the pitch I heard today.

If anyone wants to buy real estate here I would suggest moving here and be like these people and see if you can actually sell any!

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Guess I was lucky everybody told us don't do it.

You were informed and you made a wise choice !

Why buy when you can rent?

Real Estate Investment Trusts Make More Sense because unlike a property you can buy today and sell tomorrow.

You can make 19% interest if you buy shares in stock symbol AGNC dividends are paid quarterly and that should be your real estate investment that you can sell today as opposed to buying a nightmare.

NLY pays 13% and listen to this folks.....you don't have to pay the maid or gardener.

If interest in the US goes up this will impact the return but it looks good for the next year at least

I am not giving any buy or sell recommendations and i am not licensed to do so, so please consult your attorney, finaclia planner etc before investing in anything

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I have not had regrets for one minute the investments I have made in RE in Scotland, London, Spain or the DR over the years.
In fact if you had made an investment in an average performing mutual in the US you would still be standing still.
If you want to invest in stockmarkets then my bets are on Russia and Brazil; also other developing countries including bonds.. Both have given excellent performances for me and I think will continue to do.
DR property has very done well for many people ; but as they say do not put all your eggs in one basket and do your own due diligence. Good luck to those enterprising enough to sell DR property ; my opinion is that there are now excellent bargains in one of the fastest growing economies in the region. Where else could you buy a beachside condo for just 200,000 euros in the region in a premier World class resort area but in the DR? Also have secure and responsible management ; a fast developing infrastructure covering the the whole country; steadily increasing tourism base; Russia and other countries showing increasing interest; rapidly developing air hub linking South America, Europe, Russia, US and Canada; expanding nearshoring industry and services etc. etc. Europe property investments have mainly remained static in value in the last 5 years although yielding good rental income. In DR many properties have nearly doubled in value.
For many people sure beats some suspect Harvard graduates running suspect companies in the US ; graduates of the sames colleges ran GM , AA and many others etc. into the ground.

pi2

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
There are expats who are great real estate agents and there are others who don't have a clue. Just like anywhere else in the world. Some people bought great real estate in the DR and others were not so lucky... also just like anywhere else.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
RE Agents

A friendly motoconcho may be a better RE agent than an expat who has been a loser all his life (and that is why he/she came here to become a RE agent...).

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't mistake a "Time Share" salesperson,for a lisensed real estate agent.
There are some international firms here.
"Let The Buyer Beware",especially here,especially in realestate!
CCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
RE Fortune Adventurers

There are some international firms here.

International, they may be.
But if you refer to RE firms: They hire local (sometimes shady) fortune hunters who work on commission only, usually know nothing about the trade, and fluctuate between jobs.

donP

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
My complaint was more with a couple sitting next to me while i am eating lunch and they ask " where are you from" and 4 questions later I am getting the real estate pitch.

If i wanted to buy real estate I can find properties on my own and don't like to bothered while eating lunch so some expats can make a commission.

I also don't buy mutual funds but invest in dividend stocks and my portfolio always out performs the markets and my real estate stocks gaurantee 15% annual return

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
They must be new expats to the area if they do not know the (in)famous Mike. Hell, 8 times out of 10, when going to Playero I either see you in there or on your way over or leaving... lol.

I hate it when people try to push their sales-pitch on you. I will leave a store when they do that letting them know why, so just imagine what I would do if they disturb my lunch.

Just to make sure. Was the expat trying this eating seaweed by any chance? I suspect Pi2, as he is the one telling everybody here how fantastic the real estate market is over here, and anybody living here knows this is BS.

If you are 100% sure you will be living here for the rest of your life, or that you will be vacationing over here a lot, then the DR is a very cheap place to either build or buy property. If you are not sure of the above, rent, as you will be stuck with that real estate for a very long time, and chances are slim it will be a profitable investment.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
In fact if you had made an investment in an average performing mutual in the US you would still be standing still.

pi2

Sorry, I just happened to check my 401k tonight, and it is at it's all time high. And all the money is in dull 2040 and 2050 funds.

DR property has very done well for many people ... In DR many properties have nearly doubled in value.
pi2

Um...what exactly have you been smoking?

Generally there is little reward without risk.

pi2

Well, not all risks are created equally. There are different levels of risk. There are those that take intelligent, well-thought-out tactical risks, and then there are those that take playing-with-fire or nothing-left-to-lose risks (or the ever popular running-from-problems-in-their-own-countries risk). Sometimes, in rare circumstances, these somehow work out. In most cases, these don't end well, especially in the DR. In my opinion, expats owning property in the DR as investments are at the upper end of the risk scale.

TI suspect Pi2, as he is the one telling everybody here how fantastic the real estate market is over here, and anybody living here knows this is BS.

If you are 100% sure you will be living here for the rest of your life, or that you will be vacationing over here a lot, then the DR is a very cheap place to either build or buy property. If you are not sure of the above, rent, as you will be stuck with that real estate for a very long time, and chances are slim it will be a profitable investment.

Exactly!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I have not had regrets for one minute the investments I have made in RE in Scotland, London, Spain or the DR over the years. pi2

you! i have always suspected you were writing al those "saving money" posts from your playboy mansion surrounded by sexy lainas in louboutins and chiuaauas in diamond collars!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
So it looks we all agree that diversification makes more sense than opening a sports bar in Sosua or buying a rental complex in La Union

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
So it looks we all agree that diversification makes more sense than opening a sports bar in Sosua or buying a rental complex in La Union

I agree... although a mud-wrestling bar in Sosua ( hey it is a sport of sorts ) could be a good investment... lol

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Such properties as balcones del atlantico have attracted investors : into one of the premier resorts in the Caribbean region.

Balcones del Atl?ntico

The Gem of Las Terrenas - Review of Balcones del Atlantico, A RockResort, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic - TripAdvisor

( I have no commercial connection although I have visited )

According to some other posters investors are .........

Other beachside properties are producing steady returns for investors.

And yes, although it is not Trump Towers I am happy with my residence near the beach in the DR that I have bought.

Investors in Trump Towers have found unfortunately that the price for a studio has relaxed to $625,000.

Trump World Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of my other investments have also doubled in 5 years.

With hindsight investment in gold bars might have been better ; but also the price of gold can go down.

DR gold mining looks good for the country. Good to invest in DR. DR is also self-sufficient in major foodstuffs ......

But other people may prefer Honduras ; much higher murder rate........

World Map - Top Ten Countries with Highest Murder Rates

It is a good sign of economic activity when people are actively selling RE......

Good also they are are eco-aware in their investments and know that a very reasonable cost of living is possible in the DR.

pi2

I agree... although a mud-wrestling bar in Sosua ( hey it is a sport of sorts ) could be a good investment... lol
From belgiumk: