For All Canadians Travelling To or Living Here

Received by email from Government of Canada

Here is the official notification as to entry and departure requirements to the Dominican Republic, effective April 30, 2012.

You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad Service. Please share the following information with all of the Canadian citizens that you know.

PLEASE NOTE THAT STARTING APRIL 30TH, 2012, CANADIANS WILL BE REQUIRED TO PRESENT A VALID PASSPORT TO VISIT THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

Until then, Canadians entering the Dominican Republic by direct air travel are only required to be in possession of valid official photo identification (such as a driver's licence) and proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate). Canadian tourists must also be in possession of a return airline ticket.

However, Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver’s licence, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

We encourage Canadians currently living in the Dominican Republic with an expired passport to renew this document as soon as possible in order to avoid any inconvenience during future travel. Please note that a 15 working days processing period is to be expected.

Canadians entering the Dominican Republic for tourist purposes must purchase a tourist card, at a cost of $10 US, which is valid for 30 days. Those wishing to stay for a longer period must pay a surcharge at the airport upon departure or request an extension by visiting the Department of Immigration in Santo Domingo. Those wishing to work in the Dominican Republic must apply for a business visa. More information can be obtained by contacting the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa.

Foreigners may gain the right to reside in the Dominican Republic by acquiring a residence visa from the Foreign Relations Ministry and a temporary or permanent residence card from the Immigration Department. A student visa is also required. For additional information, please contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa or its consulates in Canada.

You can obtain consular assistance and further consular information at the following addresses:

SANTO DOMINGO, Embassy of Canada

Address: Av. Winston Churchill 1099Torre Citigroup en Acrop?lis Center, 18th FloorEnsanche Piantini, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
what if i already live in dom rep, i am in canada right now, but will return in april and will stay for a while, I don't need return ticket do I?

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
I am married to a dominican, we live in espaillat and we have a house rental contract for 1 year, do i still need a return ticket?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The new passport regulations have nothing to do with having a return ticket or not. If you've done it before, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't permit you to do it.

Edited: Just noted you've already found the other thread I was going to refer you to.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
The immigration is not likely interested in a return ticket ... It's the airlines themselves . You can never tell when u get an airline ensuring you do as they are the ones choosing to overlook or demand u have one .

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am married to a dominican, we live in espaillat and we have a house rental contract for 1 year, do i still need a return ticket?

Do you have residency in the DR? If you are already in the DR than what are you worried about? I can't tell by your statement if you are coming or going or already here?

LTSteve

LTSTeve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Do you have legal residency status in the DR? If you are already in the DR than what are you worried about? I can't tell by your statement if you are coming or going or already here?

LTSteve

LTSTeve

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
My father wants to come over for a visit and his passport expires in 3 months. He is canadian but will be coming over from Mexico for a 2 week visit. Is there any issues with the close expiry date? I heard it needs to be valid for 6 months.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
worth a call to the embassy for clarification.
I wouldn't trust an answer from here - unofficial answers only here

he can renew at any Cdn Consulate if he wants

never a good idea to travel with a 'close to expiry' passport

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
For the DR as long as it's valid for the duration of his stay he'll be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk