Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PRD vs PLD Public Works & Major Projects

I would be interested to see a list of different public works projects "COMPLETED" by the respective Governments in the past 2 terms.

I will say, the PLD are a lot more active and all honesty make the PRD look pathetic, but would still like to know some real world info.

PLD: Metro
    PLD: OMSA
    PLD: Santo Domingo/Santiago tunnels and overpasses
    PLD: Samana Hwy

PRD: School breakfast program
    PRD: Footbridge across Maximo Gomez & 27

2. Likes ExtremeR, Frank the Tank liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always been like that. PRD has never been known for building lots of infrastructure projects, but they do tend to direct more money to the countryside and provinces than just Santo Domingo as opposed to The PLD. Leonel is taking a page from Balaguer who used to spend a lot of the budget in infrastructure projects including such white elephants as El Faro a Colon. If we compare the two as to whose investments have made a bigger impact in the general population I may have to give the edge to The PRD (I'm shocked to find this out)...For instance I would say School Breakfast have had a wider / larger impact in the country than the Metro which only serves a small percentage of the population and only in one city.

Now the question is Did The PRD re-start school breakfast or was that Leonel during his first mandate? My memory is fuzzy, but I thought it was Leonel. Seem to remember Hippo deciding to change the original breakfast of bread and milk, etc to mangu or something to that effect.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    It's always been like that. PRD has never been known for building lots of infrastructure projects, but they do tend to direct more money to the countryside and provinces than just Santo Domingo as opposed to The PLD. Leonel is taking a page from Balaguer who used to spend a lot of the budget in infrastructure projects including such white elephants as El Faro a Colon. If we compare the two as to whose investments have made a bigger impact in the general population I may have to give the edge to The PRD (I'm shocked to find this out)...For instance I would say School Breakfast have had a wider / larger impact in the country than the Metro which only serves a small percentage of the population and only in one city.

Now the question is Did The PRD re-start school breakfast or was that Leonel during his first mandate? My memory is fuzzy, but I thought it was Leonel. Seem to remember Hippo deciding to change the original breakfast of bread and milk, etc to mangu or something to that effect.
    The PLD has also carried out highway projects ourside the capital and built and refurbished some schools, not enough, but certainly more than the PRD. PRD - more for agriculture.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

off-topic waffle deleted.
    Last edited by DR1Admin; 01-24-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trujillo? :/

Overall, Trujillo "wins" in Barahona. He basically built Barahona. The post office is a real throwback...

PRD later added some works, and did some updating.

PLD forgot about it until very recently finishing some bigger backlogged projects.

El Barahonero: ¿Qué presidente ha hecho más por Barahona?

This article should be updated to credit the PLD with these important, recently completed projects:

Highway Barahona <---> San Juan
    UASD in Barahona
    Regional Hospital Jaime Mota remodeled (not recommending it to you though for your healthcare needs )

Also infrastructure at La Cueva/Bahia de las Aguilas in Pedernales.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    PRD: School breakfast program
    Robert the above is incorrect. Leonel Fernández in his first term in office promulgated the Ley Orgánica de Educación de la República Dominicana, Ley No. 6697. This law in article 178 establishes School lunches.
    Art. 178.Se crea el desayuno escolar como institución que asegura el suministro regular, eficiente y gratuito
    del desayuno escolar a todos los niños y niñas del sistema educativo que así lo necesiten.
    Hipólito Mejía on his 1999 campaign trail rhetoric would readily criticize school lunches composed of bread and chocolate or cake and milk. He said that if he became president he would offer up, "...mangú con huevo y queso frito..." but of course in a much more colorful way.
    Cuando era candidato, mejía crítico reiteradamente el hecho de que el gobierno suministrara pan y chocolate a los estudiantes en el desayuno escolar, argumentando que el país no producía trigo y que era más conveniente preparar un paquete nutritivo con productos criollos. En una ocasión dijo: “cuando yo sea presidente, en las escuelas voy a dar de desayuno escolar mangú con huevo y queso frito, para jartar a los carajitos como una chincha”.
    Source: El Principe con Esteroides: EL GOBIERNO DE HIPÓLITO MEJÍA: DE REGRESO AL SALVAJISMO.

"....y en las escuelas vamos a dar de desayuno escolar mangú con huevo y queso frito, para jartar a los CARAJITOS como una chincha"...

Meses después el desayuno escolar arrasaba intoxicando a los niños.
    Source: MOMENTUM: ¿VOLVERAN LAS HIPOLITADAS?............

But of course the school lunches of "...mangú con huevo y queso frito..." ended in disaster like every thing PRD. The school lunch offer of "...mangú con huevo y queso frito..." was rescinded and, you guest it, milk/chocolate with bread or cake was reinstated.

NotLurking

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

NotLurking, thanks for the correction. I guess the PRD are down to just the footbridge over Maximo Gomez & 27.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Another smart ass post deleted
    Last edited by Hlywud; 01-25-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Off topic, deleted.
    Last edited by DR1Admin; 01-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The PRD are definitely less pharaonic: I believe they built several sports complexes in provincial capitals, and as suarezn says - lower profile rural projects like health centres, access roads ("caminos vecinales") and electrification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast