PRD vs PLD Public Works & Major Projects

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would be interested to see a list of different public works projects "COMPLETED" by the respective Governments in the past 2 terms.

I will say, the PLD are a lot more active and all honesty make the PRD look pathetic, but would still like to know some real world info.

PLD: Metro
PLD: OMSA
PLD: Santo Domingo/Santiago tunnels and overpasses
PLD: Samana Hwy

PRD: School breakfast program
PRD: Footbridge across Maximo Gomez & 27 :)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's always been like that. PRD has never been known for building lots of infrastructure projects, but they do tend to direct more money to the countryside and provinces than just Santo Domingo as opposed to The PLD. Leonel is taking a page from Balaguer who used to spend a lot of the budget in infrastructure projects including such white elephants as El Faro a Colon. If we compare the two as to whose investments have made a bigger impact in the general population I may have to give the edge to The PRD (I'm shocked to find this out)...For instance I would say School Breakfast have had a wider / larger impact in the country than the Metro which only serves a small percentage of the population and only in one city.

Now the question is Did The PRD re-start school breakfast or was that Leonel during his first mandate? My memory is fuzzy, but I thought it was Leonel. Seem to remember Hippo deciding to change the original breakfast of bread and milk, etc to mangu or something to that effect.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's always been like that. PRD has never been known for building lots of infrastructure projects, but they do tend to direct more money to the countryside and provinces than just Santo Domingo as opposed to The PLD. Leonel is taking a page from Balaguer who used to spend a lot of the budget in infrastructure projects including such white elephants as El Faro a Colon. If we compare the two as to whose investments have made a bigger impact in the general population I may have to give the edge to The PRD (I'm shocked to find this out)...For instance I would say School Breakfast have had a wider / larger impact in the country than the Metro which only serves a small percentage of the population and only in one city.

Now the question is Did The PRD re-start school breakfast or was that Leonel during his first mandate? My memory is fuzzy, but I thought it was Leonel. Seem to remember Hippo deciding to change the original breakfast of bread and milk, etc to mangu or something to that effect.

The PLD has also carried out highway projects ourside the capital and built and refurbished some schools, not enough, but certainly more than the PRD. PRD - more for agriculture.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Trujillo? :/

Overall, Trujillo "wins" in Barahona. He basically built Barahona. The post office is a real throwback...

PRD later added some works, and did some updating.

PLD forgot about it until very recently finishing some bigger backlogged projects.

El Barahonero: ?Qu? presidente ha hecho m?s por Barahona?

This article should be updated to credit the PLD with these important, recently completed projects:

Highway Barahona <---> San Juan
UASD in Barahona
Regional Hospital Jaime Mota remodeled (not recommending it to you though for your healthcare needs :cheeky:)

Also infrastructure at La Cueva/Bahia de las Aguilas in Pedernales.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
PRD: School breakfast program

Robert the above is incorrect. Leonel Fern?ndez in his first term in office promulgated the Ley Org?nica de Educaci?n de la Rep?blica Dominicana, Ley No. 6697. This law in article 178 establishes School lunches.
Art. 178.Se crea el desayuno escolar como instituci?n que asegura el suministro regular, eficiente y gratuito
del desayuno escolar a todos los ni?os y ni?as del sistema educativo que as? lo necesiten.

Hip?lito Mej?a on his 1999 campaign trail rhetoric would readily criticize school lunches composed of bread and chocolate or cake and milk. He said that if he became president he would offer up, "...mang? con huevo y queso frito..." but of course in a much more colorful way.
Cuando era candidato, mej?a cr?tico reiteradamente el hecho de que el gobierno suministrara pan y chocolate a los estudiantes en el desayuno escolar, argumentando que el pa?s no produc?a trigo y que era m?s conveniente preparar un paquete nutritivo con productos criollos. En una ocasi?n dijo: “cuando yo sea presidente, en las escuelas voy a dar de desayuno escolar mang? con huevo y queso frito, para jartar a los carajitos como una chincha”.
Source: El Principe con Esteroides: EL GOBIERNO DE HIP?LITO MEJ?A: DE REGRESO AL SALVAJISMO.

"....y en las escuelas vamos a dar de desayuno escolar mang? con huevo y queso frito, para jartar a los CARAJITOS como una chincha"...

Meses despu?s el desayuno escolar arrasaba intoxicando a los ni?os.
Source: MOMENTUM: ?VOLVERAN LAS HIPOLITADAS?............

But of course the school lunches of "...mang? con huevo y queso frito..." ended in disaster like every thing PRD. The school lunch offer of "...mang? con huevo y queso frito..." was rescinded and, you guest it, milk/chocolate with bread or cake was reinstated.

NotLurking

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
NotLurking, thanks for the correction. I guess the PRD are down to just the footbridge over Maximo Gomez & 27.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The PRD are definitely less pharaonic: I believe they built several sports complexes in provincial capitals, and as suarezn says - lower profile rural projects like health centres, access roads ("caminos vecinales") and electrification.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
most people have their own opinions about the following:

PRD: 2003 Pan American Games
PRD: TSS (or whatever the social security thing is now called)

i believe it is widely accepted that in hipolito's first two years he did a lot to help growth in agricultural and rural sectors.
of course, any good was all fecked up when baninter went down the drain.

can't say i agree that metros, flyovers, tunnels and such-like make the PRD look "pathetic", but we are all entitled to our opinions i suppose.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A more "Telling" number would be which party has stolen the most money from their "Projects".
But that might be hard to verify.
I vote for the "PRD".
The more expensive the construction project,the more "Comisiones" they generate.
CC

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
A more "Telling" number would be which party has stolen the most money from their "Projects".
But that might be hard to verify.
I vote for the "PRD".
The more expensive the construction project,the more "Comisiones" they generate.
CC

Problem with that analysis is...China has lots of corruption too. Doesn't seem to bring them down... One side of the coin says - corruption is bad. The other side says, fine let them steal their 10-15% so long as things are getting done... it's a tough call.

The dominicans don't seem to be content stealing just 10%. Also, the 25-30% that they do steal seems to be the most crucial part, so that the project is falling apart in 2-3 years.

Looking at some of these elevados that exist now on kennedy - great, they're done, nice work boys. But now what? It's been under 2 years for some of them, and after it rains you can see that they're not 'draining' properly. How long will it before the cracks and holes to pop up?

And what do you think is the state of the 'maintenance' budget?

Insert punch line here.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
PRD Dancing Fountains Malecon esq Maximo Gomez In front of the Caribbean Sea. The opening night the water reached John F. kennedy Ave. Still closed from that night.

PRD The only country in the world that change hour twice in a week. It was dark at 4pm

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
PRD Dancing Fountains Malecon esq Maximo Gomez In front of the Caribbean Sea. The opening night the water reached John F. kennedy Ave. Still closed from that night.

PRD The only country in the world that change hour twice in a week. It was dark at 4pm

I remember them well. The fountain was ridiculous!!!

PRD: Can anyone think of anymore, actually completed projects?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here's the full list of everything (infrastructure wise) that was done during Hippo's government. Just go to this link RAFAEL HIPOLITO MEJIA DOMINGUEZ and click on "Obras" and also on "Obras de Instituciones Gub.". Nothing grandiose I don't think, but that's OK in my book. I would rather see them spend 700 million USD in fixing up schools, roads, hospitals, etc...all over the country than 700 million USD building a few of miles of Metro.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003

the fountain was PRSC. ask Corporan. it was dedicated to Balaguer.
there was no way PRD was going to continue maintain this.
In fact the Mayor of Santo Domingo who created the original and best "Plaza Guibia" on the Malecon was PRD, JF Pena Gomez.
every other mayor after that has decided to try and mark his own stamp on the Malecon changing anything and/or everything to make it the disaster it is. Mayors got rich though. (JV obviously got rich other ways, but he doesn't really count as he was kind of thrown into the job).

The hour change was an experiment. it didn't work. the government made the sensible decision at the time and reversed the change.

A lot of these PLD "projects" are finished products, but at what cost? usually millions more than the 'real' amount.
Are you fooled that easily?

Of course the PRD are corrupt, but at least they are more open about it and let everyone get a chance to take a piece of the pie.
PLD keep the pie to themselves and tell us there isn't any.