Spirit Airlines - interesting PR positioning

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
This was pretty comical at first, but now it's more interesting:

---

WARNING:
New government regulations require us to HIDE taxes in your fares.

This is not consumer-friendly or in your best interest. It's wrong and you shouldn't stand for it.

Starting January 24, 2012, fares are distorted.

Why?
Thanks to the U.S. Department of Transportation's latest fare rules, Spirit must now HIDE the government's taxes and fees in your fares.

If the government can hide taxes in your airfares, then they can carry out their hidden agenda and quietly increase their taxes. (Yes, such talks are already underway.)

And if they can do it to the airline industry, what's next?
As the transparency leader and most consumer-friendly airline, Spirit DOES NOT support this new USDOT mandate. We believe the better form of transparency is to break out costs so customers know exactly what they're buying.

What can you do to help stop this injustice?
Join us in keeping government taxes and fees low and transparent by contacting your elected officials.

Spirit Airlines, 2800 Executive Way, Miramar, FL 33025
? 2012 Spirit Airlines

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It is very interesting. I would not want the over $150 USD in taxes to be hidden in the fare. Spirit would find a way to charge a new fee for that.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Well it's interesting. Take the DR example. They (Spirit) advertise for example "JUST $15 to FORT LAUDERDALE". Then by the time you've invested in clicking selecting etc, your fair comes out to $165.

The legislation started as a way to keep the airlines honest - start advertising the fare with no hidden fees. This drive to be more 'transparent' now in a weird way looks more opaque!

Either way Spirit's gonna have to suck it up and start advertising those $165 fares..

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Spirit has long been notorious for playing games with fare pricing, and being the industry leader in nickel-and-diming you to death.

For example, I went to Medellin last year. Part of the trip included a motorcycle tour, so I brought a carry-on bag for my clothes, and checked in a single piece of luggage for my riding gear. I'm 6'6", so I opted for a seat upgrade. I booked my flight two months in advance.

Pricing worked out like this:

Flight $506.00
Bags $73.00
Travel Insurance $21.00
Seats $70.00
US-International Departure Tax $32.60
CO-Tourist Tax $10.00
September 11th Security Fee $7.50
Passenger Facility Fee $13.50
CO - Airport Tax $35.00
APHIS User Fee $5.00
Immigration User Fee $7.00
US Customs Fee $5.50

The only pricing they advertised on the web was the seat cost, which at the time, was superior to the other airlines. You didn't know the true until it was actually time to press "purchase" and buy the ticket.

NOTE: That comes to $786.00 and did NOT include the "return baggage fees" which added another $66.00 to the price tag. Also, even if you don't upgrade, choosing the least comfortable seats on the plane (and there are many on a plane with somewhere between 28 and 30 inches of pitch in an industry where a knee-crushing 32-33" is considered standard) begins at $15.00 each way, and goes up from there.

They also charge for water and other drinks, have no hot food other than instant soup, no entertainment available, and take forever with your baggage (no priority service for first class).

That said, the upgrade for first class is a great deal, at $35, and they have great itineraries to Colombia and Santo Domingo. But that's the ONLY way I'd ever fly that airline.

Last edited:

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Flew spirit last year

Las year, I cancelled my return flight on Jetblue due to unforseen circumstances. The only flight out I could immediately book 3 days later was on spirit. After being charged for a bag, a seat, yelled at, screamed at, treated like a prisoner and a no good punk. I waited an eternity in Fort Lauderdale en route to my final destination.

When I got home, I felt so violated, I should have gone to the hospital for a rape kit.

Because of that airline's reputation, even the airport employees, CBP, workers etc.. (non airline) treat you like you're some deadbeat just because you're flying spirit. I can't wait for a decent airline to buy then out or for them to file chapter 11.

Feb 7, 2007
It's a norm in Europe (besides UK, I think). It started in Germany and spread through continental Europe. Travel services (hotels, airfares, etc.) are shown as final rate. in some countries they are on "must do it" basis, in some countries on "want do it" basis. But it's easier for consumers to compare.