Cigarettes

Meadow

Jan 25, 2012
Are they easy to find in the DR? Do you get them in the grocery store? I'm guessing cigars are the thing, but my husband only likes cigarettes. :pirate:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell him to stop smoking. That would be a good thing...Get him on cigars. Not healthier, but less bad than cigarettes...

But yes, there are cigarettes all over the place...

HB (cough, cough...iicht...cough cough) RIP....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
And here you can buy them one (1) cigarette at a time at the neighborhood stores.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Cigs are really easy to get at every supermarket and at the neighborhood colmados - as SantiagoDR pointed out you don't even have to buy a pack at a time. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cigarettes all over. 100 pesos a pack. At 38 pesos to the dollar comes to $2.75 or so.
A higher percent of people smoke here than in most of the USA nowadays.
Der Fish
Admittedly I don't have the US as my point of reference but I've never been to such a non-smoking country as the DR. They don't even have to put up non-smoking signs - hardly anyone smokes in a public place or in company, with the exception of open-air bars, perhaps.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
A higher percent of people smoke here than in most of the USA nowadays.
Der Fish

that's strange. in all my time in the DR i can only think of three dominicans i know well who smoke. a bloke who got fired from our office about 5 years ago. carlos p, who used to work for viva and was referenced on the dr1 forums a few times and one of my watchmen who also never seems to have any money.

i understand cigs are cheap, though there doesn't seem to be much selection.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The VAST MAJORITY of Dominicans don't smoke.
It's not so much a health issue,they fail that test in too many "other" areas"!
It just costs too much to smoke.
They need their money for more important things.
Rum,Beer,"Tenis",designer jeans,celular,Cabanas!
CC
And tell your husband to keep smoking if he likes.
This is the DR,you can do whatever you want!
Why do you think we love it here?
I agree with "HB" about the "cigars"!
I think I'll light my second of the morning right now!

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Admittedly I don't have the US as my point of reference but I've never been to such a non-smoking country as the DR. They don't even have to put up non-smoking signs - hardly anyone smokes in a public place or in company, with the exception of open-air bars, perhaps.

This is a very interesting point which goes unnoticed.
I visited DR over the holidays and I saw no one smoking! Pretty amazing, Isn't it?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Pull out a pack of cigarettes and every "non-smoking" Dominican at the table will ask for one, especially if it's a US brand which is largely unavailable in the D.R. like, say "Salem Slim Light 100's". I give away unused packs from my carton to the guys who look out for me upon departure and it's better than giving them the equivalent value in cash.

Dominican brands are definitely inexpensive but they're nasty. Your best bet is the duty free shop.

May 29, 2006

Agreed. The people who smoke the most are the ex-pats and tourists. Americans/Canadians who smoke love that they don't have to step outside and can smoke while they eat or drink beer. I see the moto-concho drivers and money changers smoke once in a while, but they usually make a decent living. At 100 pesos a pack, it's cheap for foreigners but expensive for the wages most Dominicans make.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not that common among middle and upper class Dominicans either, in my experience.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i smoke marlboros when in the DR. the paper, tobacco, box, filters, cellophane, everythingcomes from the US. the only thing they do in the DR is assemble the damn things. a marlboro in NY tastes the same as a marlboro in the DR. bring back a few cartons. whenever one of my in-laws comes over from the DR, even friends of my wife, they make sure to have a few cartons for me. in NY i am saving roughtly 75$ per carton if not more. don't mess with the duty free shop, they're cheaper in the supermarket and legal to bring into the US although the limit is, i think, 2 cartons. i have never met a dominican that smokes more than myself, pack a day. but they'll smoke if they see i have them.................

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Not exactly sure where you are located,however we just purchased a carton of Marlboro lites at a small what is called by locals "Warehouse"!!!Yikes:) in Bavaro just past the Catholic church on the same side of the street on Avenia Francia. "Can't remember the name of the colmado"... Amigo stands at the door with a shotgun, and the place is heavily caged at the register inside...but the booz is cheap and the cigs only cost $RD 750 peso...that's about $1.97US per pack a steal if you ask me....and I am ex-smoker of four years now so they werent for me!! But I did partake in a cigar nigthly while there, found a nice mild Cherry flavored one that I loved....but still hated the aftertaste of the smoke...;)