new Member looking to move to DR

fabflowers

Jan 26, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have been offered a potential post on the island, not sure where the offices are a yet, but before I can consider further, can anyone tell me if my Sri Lankan husband would be welcome there? I dont know what the attitude is to Asians and whether he will integrate easily. he is very sociable and friendly.

Also I have a terrier dog who I could not consider moving unless I know he would be okay, so is it possible to employ someone to look after him for the times when I will not be at home?What are the vets like there?

I look forward to receiving some replies. Thank you

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1.

I'm sure your husband will be OK - Dominicans are welcoming and respond particularly well to someone who is sociable and friendly. Of course, making an effort to learn Spanish - by both of you - is essential to integrating. I know of several South Asians who live or have lived in the DR, and I'm not aware of them having experienced any particular problems.

Employing household help (maid and/or gardener) is easy and affordable, so I wouldn't worry about that either. The best way to go about this is to get a first-hand recommendation from friends or colleagues.

Your last question, about vets, cannot be answered without knowing where exactly you will be living, but going by previous advice on this forum, Santo Domingo, Santiago, the north and east coasts are well covered.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
It sounds to me like your husband will be fine, socialable and friendly are what is needed most. Of all the places I've been in SE Asia Sri Lanka reminded me most of the DR.

Interview for a maid/dog caretaker combined then you have a clean house and a happy dog. ;) Our dog has ended up bilingual for most of her commands (trilingual if you count the hand signals)

roderickpaulate

Jan 31, 2012
Texas,Atlanta,IX
Hello

Hello Everyone please allow me to introduce myself,

I'm a Sports trainer, and I’m really got interest when I meet a person that fits on my skills. I’ve been a trainer for how many years when I was a young student in our campus. And now I’m a manager in our online shop

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It sounds to me like your husband will be fine, socialable and friendly are what is needed most. Of all the places I've been in SE Asia Sri Lanka reminded me most of the DR.

Interview for a maid/dog caretaker combined then you have a clean house and a happy dog. ;) Our dog has ended up bilingual for most of her commands (trilingual if you count the hand signals)

Welcome. My second wife was from Sri Lanka. We were planning to retire to Sri Lanka but her death from cancer stopped that plan. I too agree that the terrain of parts of Sri Lanka is similar to the DR. What your husband will miss the most is great Sri Lankan food. He will be on, as I call it, "The Island that Spice Forgot". There are not many Sri Lankan dishes that a Dominican could eat without running screaming from the table.

Good advice to learn Spanish as that will really help. The Sri Lankans I have known are wonderful people. I think it is best to know where the job will be before getting too heavily into the details of what services are available in that location since many services will be called out that may not apply to the location where you end up.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No problems with either Asians or terriers here.. We have large communities of Koreans, Japanese, Chinese and who knows,, perhaps even Sri Lankans.. but others are right about the spices. best bring a supply. And they have very good vets - and folks who love dogs although they are not quite as coddled as American pets.. ditto groomers .. who do not seem to know as much. But foreigners from all countries (with perhaps the possible exception of Haiti) are welcomed with open arms here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The OP said she had decided against moving to the DR in the other thread she started.