Taking my dog to DR

fabflowers

Jan 26, 2012
Please can anyone tell me what problems I may have when I take my terrier over to DR from the UK.. will it be easy for me to find someone to look after him while I am at work? I would prefer an expat to look after him as I know he will be safe. also what are the vets like there? Can you get pet insurance?He will be coming on a Pet Passport so I can take him back to Uk when I want.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not sure exactly what a pet passport is, but I would check to make sure that it is all you need to bring the animal into the DR. You don't mention where you would be in the DR. As for having expats as dog babysitters, there are kennels, but as far as someone to dog sit during the day while you work, that could be a real challenge finding an expat to do that depending upon your location. There are good vets on the north coast and I am sure you can find one in other locations.

fabflowers

Jan 26, 2012
Cris,

If
I move there I will call on you, unfortunately, I do not have the answer that I was looking for, so I will not be moving to the DR!

fabflowers

Jan 26, 2012
no, I have a job offer with a company that offers most places in the world, I am lucky, I get a choice of where I go. I thought DR was great having been there on holiday several times, but my pet is very important to me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You need a vet's certificate that he is (a) in good condition and (b) vaccinated against rabies etc.. That is all ...

There are good vets here. There are few if any pet walkers or sitters. Dominicans treat dogs like cattle or bicycles or pots and pans...They are there...no more no less.

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The DR can be a wonderful place to live for you and your pet. My dog loved getting to go to the beach with us on the weekends and she was never alone because either the nanny or us were always in the house. Your dog will not be living like the street dogs. We accepted our first contract in the DR because it was easy to take our dog there and it worked out very well for us.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You need a vet's certificate that he is (a) in good condition - certificate not older then 30 day's - and (b) vaccinated against rabies - rabies vaccination older then 30 day's (vaccin needs that time to kick in) and not older then a year - etc.. That is all ...

There are good vets here. There are few if any pet walkers or sitters. Dominicans treat dogs like cattle or bicycles or pots and pans...They are there...no more no less.

HB

Just some additional information...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I had no problems getting all my dogs into the DR, just some paperwork and lots of stamps by the vet at the airport and an additional fee per dog for entering the DR but I have no clue how much it was, not much anyway.

My dogs love it here but since I have more then one, weekends are off for walks on the beach, the Dominicans don't like it. One dog, yes...5 eum NO :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your Vet in England can probably tell you what your dog needs.
ManyDominicans are VERY afraid of dogs. Maybe fear passed down from when rabies was common?????
There are MANY,MANY dog lovers here among the ExPat community.A few run "shelters" for "stray" dogs on the island.
My father-in-law is Dominican,and he ADORES dogs.Too MUCH! Just yesterday he came home with yet another beautiful puppy!
My nine year old daughter wants to become a vet.I believe she will become an "Animal Hoarder"!
We now have 6 dogs,and 2 cats.
That said,the DR is not a place to live for "Thin Skinned" people from other countries.There is poverty,and many places where garbage lies in the streets.Stray dogs,on their last legs,roam some areas.There are beggars on many corners of the Capital city,and some others.This is NOT Bermuda,or the Caiman Islands.
If these "things" bother you,the DR might not be a place where you want to be.
If,however,you are adventuresome,adaptable,love making it on your own,with very few government services,you might love the DR.Just want you to be aware,before you come.
Cris Colon
And if you don't speak "Spanish",things will be twice as difficult.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dogs come in easily, just a short visit to the right office and 300-350 pesos.

As for not bringing in a dog and adopting a stray - yeah, I did that but it was a pretty full blown Doberman.

Dogs are like wives to me. Hard to like/love if you can't look at them.
Call me fussy but .........

The 3 legged, one-eyed wife who didn't know her age that I once had didn't last long

melodie

Apr 15, 2011
you need a vet to fill out and sign a health certificate and u need to vaccinate the dog against rabies, unless pet is less than 3 months. My dog was born in canada and he loves living in dom rep. the vet I have is great and very good with pets. make sure u have 10$ to pay the fee at the dom rep airport, its the inspecction fee for sanidad animal. good luck!