Are Ther ANY Good Schools For Our Children In The DR? Either "Public",or "Private????

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Are Ther ANY Good Schools For Our Children In The DR? Either "Public",or "Private????

Many DR1ers have been speculating about that.Some have been posting their feelings,Some from personal experience(Mostly Those With NO Kids In School Here!) and too many only posting what fits their "Agenda"!
Well,we now have the data from the "Horses Mouth"!!!
The "ranking" of DR schools,was presented last night,by the "Fundacion Pensar y Crecer" headed by former DR Education Minister,Melanio Paredes.
Sadly,here are the results,based on the students "National Tests' scores.
Of the 5,515 schools in the DR,including public,and private,82.7 % recieved a "D" clasification.
They had combined scores in all catagories below 55 points.
Of the 2,377 public schools 1 to 8th grade in the DR, 2.141 got a "D" clasification.
The "Private" schools did a little better.
These data only make it more obvious than ever,we must teach,nurture,guide,mold,and love, our children at "HOME"!
Because,it is most likely that they won't be receiving much of the "Above" at school here in the DR!
______________________________________________________________________________________
NOW,for all of you who just can't wait to make your STANDARD reply about ANYTHING negative in the DR,
By giving your unverified opinion about how,"It's worse in :(Insert,USA,Canada,England,European countries,"or "Botswana",where it actually might be),I don't give a "Tinker's Damn" about the educational system "Where You "Come From"!!!!!!!

What a stupid idea by ME!
I know that you can't help yourselves.You are "Hardwired" to defend the "Undefensable",with the "Unplausable"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sure,it's the front page,lead story,in "Diario Libre" today,26 Jan.2012.
Go to "Diariolibre.com.........."Virtual"
I know someone here on DR1 can post the entire story here.
I also am willing to wager that it will also be the "Lead" in today's,"DR1News",if you,"NEED" it in English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the "Spin Doctors" response to this FACT!
CC
"Gracias" Minerva,I doubt many will take the time and effort to read the entire report,including me!
But they can if they wish to now.
I do hope everyone who is interested in the educational system HERE will ,at least,read the "DiarioLibre" story in Spanish,or the DR1News report in English.
Again,Thank You!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sure there are some. And I can question the mechanics of the list anyway. The fact that the list is based on the number of students at any given school that passed the four portions of the National Tests given last summer and fall is the key factor to question. It is widely known that teachers give students the answers and that itself is enough to distort the results.

However, it does give you a comfy feeling to know that the little school in Jarabacoa did good.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So even with the teachers "Rigging" the results to get better scores,they still fail miserably!
Maybe the teachers are not even qualified to "Teach" the correct answers!!!!!!
CC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is the first year that my wife has had grade 8 in her school so she'll get " ranked" next year. As HB says, if the ranking is only based on the testing results and the teachers teach the test or give the answers, what does the ranking prove?

May 12, 2005
A big component of education is the parents and the home. You can spend 1 million US per student but if the kids don't go to school and the parents aren't involved and make sure homework is done, then it will just be wasted monies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It "Proves",that even when given the answers to the test,they still can't pass the test!
The students are actually more difficient than the test scores show.
CC

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Have you all seen the national exams? A lot of them don't make sense, the questions have trick answers, etc... I'm not justifying at all - just saying. However, even if the tests were not poorly made, most students still wouldn't pass them and that's sad to me.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Have you all seen the national exams? A lot of them don't make sense, the questions have trick answers, etc... I'm not justifying at all - just saying. However, even if the tests were not poorly made, most students still wouldn't pass them and that's sad to me.

What is wrong with trick answers to a question? It seemed to be a hobby of the teachers I had to include those...

I think the government here does it on purpose... keep the people as uneducated as you can get away with. The rich (with connections) and the politicians will make sure their kids get educated in the States or Europe, so they can follow in their father's footsteps.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The "ranking" of DR schools,was presented last night,by the "Fundacion Pensar y Crecer" headed by former DR Education Minister,Melanio Paredes.
Sadly,here are the results,based on the students "National Tests' scores.
Of the 5,515 schools in the DR,including public,and private,82.7 % recieved a "D" clasification.
They had combined scores in all catagories below 55 points.
Of the 2,377 public schools 1 to 8th grade in the DR, 2.141 got a "D" clasification.
"D" sounds an implausibly high ranking to me. I assume that had the assessments being carried out by a competent and impartial international body the results would have been mostly in the "F" range.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I just heard the most incredible story today about a private school in the DR. The school claims to be accredited by the US, and charges the parents (mostly higher middle class Dominicans) quite high fees. 1st grade is something like 150$ per month, quickly rising to 500$ per month. Apparently the school has a total of 2 accredited US teachers, all the rest are underpaid volunteers, who have no diploma whatsoever to teach.

The school does also not have a curriculum to follow. The teachers pretty much teach whatever they want, as long as it is in English.

I am not saying that those volunteers do not do a good job, and they are not to blame. But the fact is that all those parents are duped.

For obvious reasons I cannot reveal my source, but I can guarantee it is true.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Just to lighten up the tone a little with something positive - my daughter's Spanish teacher just told me that my daughter was the best in the entire school here in Kuwait for overall speaking, reading and writing in Spanish skills. Her classes include both children with native speaking parents (Cuba, Mexico, Venezuala, etc.) and children who have gone to school in Spanish speaking countries. (yes I am a proud parent :cheeky: )

I really think the difference is the years she spent exposed to the language and culture in every day life as well as being in school in the DR since we had her taking the Spanish for native speakers stream in elementary school instead of Spanish as a foreign language.

Belgiank that is a very serious thing to say about a school - why can't you name the school without revealing your source? Or at least say with whom they are supposed to be accredited, i.e. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and then it would be easy for anyone interested to find out if the accreditation claim is valid.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
And yes I do agree that many of the schools leave a lot to be desired but if the family is involved that helps to make up for the quality of the schools, assuming of course the family is educated. That is the difficult part for many families in the DR - the older members have gone through the same low quality system so it is difficult for them to help the younger ones.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Belgiank writes:
I just heard the most incredible story today about a private school in the DR. The school claims to be accredited by the US, and charges the parents (mostly higher middle class Dominicans) quite high fees. 1st grade is something like 150$ per month, quickly rising to 500$ per month. Apparently the school has a total of 2 accredited US teachers, all the rest are underpaid volunteers, who have no diploma whatsoever to teach.

The school does also not have a curriculum to follow. The teachers pretty much teach whatever they want, as long as it is in English.

I am not saying that those volunteers do not do a good job, and they are not to blame. But the fact is that all those parents are duped.

For obvious reasons I cannot reveal my source, but I can guarantee it -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whether it's true or not, it's totally beliveable. I have been introduced quite a few of the American " teachers" in Jarabacoa who work for various schools/NGO's and some are actually highly qualified teachers, and others while educated, Education is not their field of expertise. As far as the little school from Jarabacoa, the principal is a former student of my wife's and both of her children attended my wife's school for a number of years. Nobody is more suprised than Yris that this little school did so well.