Pto Plata Barber

M

M

Any recommendations? I need someone who can actually use scissors - not just the clippers. I?m not looking for a Forest Gump cut. Names/addresses greatly appreciated.

A

A.J.

Sami's

Sami is great he is located at Plaza Turisol. He will probably be the most expensive you will find. other wise there are barbers close to Parque Central and by the hospital.

A

A.J.

Re: Sami's

I can't remember how much he charges for men but I think it is around 200 pesos about 13 dollars.

M

M

Well worth the price if he knows how to use scissors and cut gringo hair. Thanks for the post.

A

A.J.

He is Finnish, so he may not know about "Gringo hair" but he can sure do some work on the Brits, Canadians, French, Irish, Sweidh, Norweigen, Danish, Mexican (yep he has experience), Ethiopian (yep this too.) Oh yeah and old rich US women in Fort Lauderdale, So I am sure he can at least try with the "Gringo hair"

A

A.J.

Re: only w/americans are gringos?*DC*

Hopefully you took my response as tongue in cheek - but yes historically the word Gringo is a derogatory word for Americans(US), especially white americans(US). If you don't know the history on the word I am sure there is someone on this board who will explain if not I would be happy to break it down for you.

Personally I can't stand the word, but then again I can't stand many derogatory/negative words that groups call themselves even in jest.

D

Dee DeMusis

I have to agree with this-- I can't stand the word GRINGO either. When I was doing missionary work in the DR a few years ago, I'd come home from work and the people in my barrio would say "llego la gringa." I would ALWAYS respond-- NO SOY GRINGA, SOY AMERICANA!!! They would say they were teasing, but it didn't wash. They FINALLY "got it." They stopped calling me gringa and started using my name [Didi] which I much preeferred.

C

Carlos

as i heard the word "gringo" came from the invasion or war (i don`t know which one)against mexico and us.....

since the us soldiers were dressed up with green camouflage,there the word..."green"
and mexican wanted the us to leave the country,there the world .."go"..
so the formed groups of people and shouted out the americans...."green go ,green go ,green go.......since then the word "gringo"
again i don`t know if this is true,i`m not too good at history,i just heard that a long time ago.......

A

A,J.

Re: Carlos - true answer

Thank you for being an enlightened one. And thank you Deedee for also having an understanding. One more part to add is when an group call themselves the same derogatory name and do not realize what they are actually saying or think it is funny to be self-depreciating.

K

Kristiina

Great to hear about Sami!!!
I hope I'll see him again soon ;)
Nice to have some people from my own country there...