Questions About Bringing Over Our Possessions To The DR.

travellingman

Jan 26, 2012
Hello,

I am taking my family to live in the DR while we try out a new business there. My wife is Dominican and I would like my daughter to know her culture along with mine. For this we decided to move there and enjoy our beloved family there.

We have been going down to the DR for ten years for a month or two at a time. So we know what the DR is about. I love it there. I don't need any advice on how to live there but I have a few questions about shipping things there.

If any body could help with information it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have one contact that is the middle man between the government taxing your belongings that is suppose to expedite this process. I am unsure what he would be called. Does anyone know of other people who do this. I would like to have a few opinions.

2. We had the bid come back and it was crazy! I want to bring two jet skis and they want to charge me 13 thousand dollars in taxes. I only bought them for 18. It would be like paying double for the ski's. I have read some things on this forum awhile back that people would pull the motor out of things and then they cant charge you for the jet skis. It would be parts. Is this something that could be done?

If anyone has any tips on bringing our stuff over it would be appreciated. I know we can use my wifes status to get a break on household items.

Chris