Current Minimum Wages in DR

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Current Minimum Wages in DR .
Can anybody point me in the right direction for the current table of minimum wages in the DR. I have tried looking a legal, labour law thread and Guzman's site but the table there is not up to date. I have contacted a number of individuals by PM but cannot get definitive answers. I have also trawled through the Gov sites that are a sticky at the top of this forum but cannot find it. Google is not much help either and have tried that too.

The search function on DR1 does not actually bring up the values but lots of disccusion.

Can some one point me in the right direction.
I am looking for Minimun wage for :
Security guards
Gardeners
Office staff.

Thanks

Olly

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I saw a listing of them not too long ago and I think it was in here or in the DR1 news.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Thanks Belmont. JD is might be useful to add this link to the Gov links in the Sticky!

Olly

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Current Minimum Wages in DR .
Can anybody point me in the right direction for the current table of minimum wages in the DR. I have tried looking a legal, labour law thread and Guzman's site but the table there is not up to date. I have contacted a number of individuals by PM but cannot get definitive answers. I have also trawled through the Gov sites that are a sticky at the top of this forum but cannot find it. Google is not much help either and have tried that too.

The search function on DR1 does not actually bring up the values but lots of disccusion.

Can some one point me in the right direction.
I am looking for Minimun wage for :
Security guards
Gardeners
Office staff.

Thanks

Olly

The minimum wages offered in those guidelines are NOT what you'll pay the workers, but what you need to be paying in case of a labor dispute filled against you by an employee with the ministry of labor to cover you under the Law.

People will NOT work for you for that amount at all! Well, that's if we're talking Dominicans here, as for illegal Haitian workers will work for below the minimum wages in some instances.

A rule of thumb to have productive employees in the DR is to start at the base of the market's offer for new hires and quickly work it up when satisfied. That's to say what's being paid in your location/area commonly to those employees in the same jobs you seek to fill.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we (as in Dominicans) don't pay the full salary reported to the local tax system, since this involves a considerable % of the employee's pay covered by the employer to the different social/tax benefits under the Law. What we do is to offer employee's a pay based on the minimum going by the guidelines and a "bonus" cash pay atop that (which is where you make up the difference from the minimum wage to the going rates as to the local offer) to each employee. That's done by 80% of the formal sector in the DR... This keeps the employee productive as the bonus is based on how they perform at their post.

The bonus pay goes about 70% to as high as 300% or more of the minimum standards, depending on the job sector.

That's how we roll here in the DR!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
The minimum wages offered in those guidelines are NOT what you'll pay the workers, but what you need to be paying in case of a labor dispute filled against you by an employee with the ministry of labor to cover you under the Law.

People will NOT work for you for that amount at all! Well, that's if we're talking Dominicans here, as for illegal Haitian workers will work for below the minimum wages in some instances.

A rule of thumb to have productive employees in the DR is to start at the base of the market's offer for new hires and quickly work it up when satisfied. That's to say what's being paid in your location/area commonly to those employees in the same jobs you seek to fill.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we (as in Dominicans) don't pay the full salary reported to the local tax system, since this involves a considerable % of the employee's pay covered by the employer to the different social/tax benefits under the Law. What we do is to offer employee's a pay based on the minimum going by the guidelines and a "bonus" cash pay atop that (which is where you make up the difference from the minimum wage to the going rates as to the local offer) to each employee. That's done by 80% of the formal sector in the DR... This keeps the employee productive as the bonus is based on how they perform at their post.

The bonus pay goes about 70% to as high as 300% or more of the minimum standards, depending on the job sector.

That's how we roll here in the DR!
Have yet to meet a single Dominican employee who is unaware that vacation pay, thirteenth salary, notice or liquidation is based on including ALL remuneration including bonuses. If you don't include it in your calculations of benefits, you will hear from the Labor Board and pay much more in the long run. Those that try this are the exception, not the norm (your 80% is ludicrous).

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Have yet to meet a single Dominican employee who is unaware that vacation pay, thirteenth salary, notice or liquidation is based on including ALL remuneration including bonuses. If you don't include it in your calculations of benefits, you will hear from the Labor Board and pay much more in the long run. Those that try this are the exception, not the norm (your 80% is ludicrous).

Bonus pay is NOT reported! That's the whole point...

80% is in the bottom buddy for above the minimum in the DR...

You get what you pay for in the DR, literally...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Derfish, I saw something a while back that listed just that, number per category. Domestic workers were low as in the 5-6,000 range and many other positions peaked out at 8500-9000. Your cook is not making a living wage but what she might get in a hotel is not much more. Una Tia works as cook, barmaid, waitress in hotel and is paid 8500 plus the occaisional tip. Better than 6000, but still tough to raise a family.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If what Pichardo is reporting is not illegal,which it MUST be,it is surely immoral,not that that bothers anyone here.
Because,"That's How We Roll" here in the DR!
Just one of the MANY reasons why "Things" will never get better for the poor!
CC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If what Pichardo is reporting is not illegal,which it MUST be,it is surely immoral,not that that bothers anyone here.
Because,"That's How We Roll" here in the DR!
Just one of the MANY reasons why "Things" will never get better for the poor!
CC

Yes, it's always immoral to pay taxes.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes, it's always immoral to pay taxes.

Depend who you work for and what benefits you receive in return... This month I get about US 1000. Dollars in benefits for been a city employee; Two pair of boots $ 200. + 125. for no accident report during 2011 + 500. for reposition of lost or broken tools + Birthday, day off and paid = 100.

Can't complain!!!

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Depend who you work for and what benefits you receive in return... This month I get about US 1000. Dollars in benefits for been a city employee; Two pair of boots $ 200. + 125. for no accident report during 2011 + 500. for reposition of lost or broken tools + Birthday, day off and paid = 100.

Can't complain!!!

JJ

Good positive reinforcement rules where you work. It is always better to reward good employment performance than to punish bad performance.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think I need to work on my spanish and then I would love to work and live in Dominican Republic also. My Dad is Dominican, my mother is American and black. But my spanish is Horrible and I am really trying my best to get my spanish better so I can move to Dominican Republic and speak more with my family there. Especially my Grandmother. Where can you find a listing for goverment jobs in Dominican Republic? Thanks and God bless,
Biggs

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Monthly salaries to US$850.0 pay no Income Tax

Santo Domingo.- The monthly salaries up to RD$33,326.00 (US$850.0) will no pay Income Tax (ISR), according to the Internal Taxes Agency’s (DGII) Income Table on the adjustment for annual inflation. The measure retroactive to January 1 will mean extra money for workers, since the Income Tax will now be levied on those who earn RD$2,443.92 more than that amount.The current tax-exempt wage was up to RD$30,880 monthly.A RD$30,950.00 salary had paid RD$3.45 income tax and will now be exempt, whereas a RD$50,000 wage paid RD$3,041.42 and now pays RD$2,501.43, for a monthly saving of RD$539.99.A RD$65,000 monthly salary now pays RD$568.47 per month; salaries up to RD$33,350 will pay RD$3.46 in taxes, taking into account the 7.76 % inflation in 2011.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2012/2/1/42507/Monthly-salaries-to-US8500-pay-no-Income-Tax