Moving to Bavaro..any tips/advice please!

Jan 27, 2012
So i've been thinking of making the big move within 1.5 yrs to Bavaro. I've started to research just recently , for anyone thats moved there could you please give me any advice on what I need before I arrive in Bavaro.

How long to receive a work visa? and How do I go about to apply for one?
What is typical rent for 1/2 bedroom apartment in the area?
I'll have a room mate with me so a shared 2 bedroom is fine.
How difficult is it to find a job once in Bavaro? and around how much should we bring as "security" funds just in case we dont find work right away?

I understand this will definitely be a big lifestyle change and I'll take a pay cut. (right now i work in the mutual funds industry) But i'm willing to do all of this for the life experience down south. I figured I might as well do this while I'm young and later on in life if things don't work out I can say I tried it out.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Moving to Bavaro..any tips/advice please!

Yes, don't move to Bavaro:p

1/2 bedroomed apartments start around 350US p/m and upwards to as much as you want to pay. A nice furnished place with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, security and a walk from the beach and communal pool will set you back 500US and up over. With lecy, cable, internet you want to have aside around 650+/- PM.
Deposit will be 2+1 in most cases.

If you speak fluent +/- Spanish you can find a job in a restaurant pretty easily. The pay is typically 6000 pesos per month + tips.

Sorry, I know nothing about work visas.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The pay cut you will get "if" you find a job will be like making in a month what you used to make in 1/2 day. Unemployment is high and jobs pay diddly. Imagine trying to live on $150-200 USD per month.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Romance of working in a caribbean paradise ?

dr1'rs will offer some good help and support. Yet, the tried and true way is to experience it yourself. Come here first as part of a working vacation to get a feel for the environment. Don't arrive site unseen to settle down and then be miserable with the place based upon the biases of others that may have painted a prettier picture to you. It is better and wiser for you to make the decision to reside and work here based upon your actual view of the area.

Moving from a mutual funds profession into a tourism based work environment is a leap. However, you may be able to convert your work experience to something compatable in the tourism industry. This is another reason for you to visit the area first before you succumb to the romance of working in a caribbean paradise.

Regards,

PJT

Jan 27, 2012
Thank you all for your replies! I failed to mention that I've visited Bavaro 6 times prior to making this decision.. The first few times were spent in a resort and would venture off to check out local hot spots.. Once I became friends with a few people and stayed friends over the years I went back and rented a condo instead. They showed me the area and everything it has to offer. They have decent jobs working as bartenders for couple really good disco's and tour reps.
I just want a better idea of how much I should bring as security funds from people's past experiences and how difficult it is for a foreigner to find a job.