Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Article in US Today discusses crime in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They say the same thing about Mexico City.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drro View Post
    They say the same thing about Mexico City.
    The difference is THIS article is about HERE.......
    Who gives a F*** about Mexico City....

B in Santiago

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the point was that crime was sometimes over hyped in the media.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reader beware

My wife had forwarded that article to me yesterday. After reading it, it is apparent that the author had an agenda and wanted to show the D.R. in a bad light. Obviously the company that issued the "report" has a motive, since they sell travel insurance... not exactly an objective source.

The article seemed to pick every incidence of crime over the past year and a half, and make it sound like each of them happens every day. I liked the comment that "The security company says there were "multiple incidents" of theft at Las Americas last year." UMMMM.... please show me a major international airport anywhere in the world where that statement couldn't be made. I will concede though, I liked hearing again about the theft of the fencing from the airport... a real Dominican touch. LOL

Anyway... I think the article was as criminal as the activities they reported on. The sad fact is that less observant readers will come away thinking the D.R. is an unsafe place to travel. Reader beware.

6. Likes Drro, Chip, N/A, frank12, Rosss and 2 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not an issue of being "over hyped". We are aware of only the tip of the iceberg as the government has an influence on information leaked to the press and held from release. The issue is increasing crime rates at the ports and on tourists. We all are at some risk of being a direct victim or an indirect victim of the criminal activity. So, take heed of the advice.

Regards,

PJT

8. Likes waytogo, Criss Colon, La Mariposa liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not an issue of being "over hyped".

I agree with you. Mexico is pretty much under cartel control. DR is pretty much here as well. US has its problems as well, particularly in areas where Meth use us rampant.

On agendas: They are everywhere and generally biased and use fear to manipulate people and their lives. The warning and examples listed in the article are from a general warning from the US State Dept for those who are traveling to the DR. After being here for some time to form an opinion you or you may not agree with them all.

There is no current travel warning issued for the DR as there are in other areas where there is serious turmoil taking place sometimes referred to as "Nation Building" by certain elements of society.

See link for more advice from US DoS. Dominican Republic

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the resident,or should I say,"Non-Resident"?, DR1,"Spin Doctors" are already "on patrol" today.
    ANYTHING negative MUST be "SPUN",by saying,"It's the same,or,WORSE everywhere else.
    Or attack the source,"That's not true"!,The source is biased!
    I first came to the DR, in 1986.I have lived here "full time" for the last 16 years.
    I used to roam the streets until the sun came up with no fear.Criminals were afraid to do ANYTHING to a "Tourista" for fear for their lives!
    Now I never go out at night!
    Once a year,in those days,you would hear about a tourist being killed or injured in a crime,now it's every week!
    So,"Spin,Spin,Spin" you ain't gonna change reality!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

11. Likes PJT, AnnaC, Eddy, Givadogahome, siegs and 2 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

CC - Nice to hear from a Moderator that actually lives here in the DR. That makes two - you and Whirlybird!

OLLY and the Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaiallen View Post
    I think the point was that crime was sometimes over hyped in the media.
    Even if it is ONLY 25% accurate, that's still enough for ME AND HOPEFULLY OTHERS to be more aware of their surroundings.
    Better safe than sorry....would sure hate to be one of the MEASLY 25%.....

B in Santiago

14. Likes amstellite liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast