Article in US Today discusses crime in the DR

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Reader beware

My wife had forwarded that article to me yesterday. After reading it, it is apparent that the author had an agenda and wanted to show the D.R. in a bad light. Obviously the company that issued the "report" has a motive, since they sell travel insurance... not exactly an objective source.

The article seemed to pick every incidence of crime over the past year and a half, and make it sound like each of them happens every day. I liked the comment that "The security company says there were "multiple incidents" of theft at Las Americas last year." UMMMM.... please show me a major international airport anywhere in the world where that statement couldn't be made. I will concede though, I liked hearing again about the theft of the fencing from the airport... a real Dominican touch. LOL

Anyway... I think the article was as criminal as the activities they reported on. The sad fact is that less observant readers will come away thinking the D.R. is an unsafe place to travel. Reader beware.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is not an issue of being "over hyped". We are aware of only the tip of the iceberg as the government has an influence on information leaked to the press and held from release. The issue is increasing crime rates at the ports and on tourists. We all are at some risk of being a direct victim or an indirect victim of the criminal activity. So, take heed of the advice.

Regards,

PJT

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
This is not an issue of being "over hyped".

I agree with you. Mexico is pretty much under cartel control. DR is pretty much here as well. US has its problems as well, particularly in areas where Meth use us rampant.

On agendas: They are everywhere and generally biased and use fear to manipulate people and their lives. The warning and examples listed in the article are from a general warning from the US State Dept for those who are traveling to the DR. After being here for some time to form an opinion you or you may not agree with them all.

There is no current travel warning issued for the DR as there are in other areas where there is serious turmoil taking place sometimes referred to as "Nation Building" by certain elements of society.

See link for more advice from US DoS. Dominican Republic

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I see the resident,or should I say,"Non-Resident"?, DR1,"Spin Doctors" are already "on patrol" today.
ANYTHING negative MUST be "SPUN",by saying,"It's the same,or,WORSE everywhere else.
Or attack the source,"That's not true"!,The source is biased!
I first came to the DR, in 1986.I have lived here "full time" for the last 16 years.
I used to roam the streets until the sun came up with no fear.Criminals were afraid to do ANYTHING to a "Tourista" for fear for their lives!
Now I never go out at night!
Once a year,in those days,you would hear about a tourist being killed or injured in a crime,now it's every week!
So,"Spin,Spin,Spin" you ain't gonna change reality!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
CC - Nice to hear from a Moderator that actually lives here in the DR. That makes two - you and Whirlybird!

OLLY and the Team

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I think the point was that crime was sometimes over hyped in the media.

Even if it is ONLY 25% accurate, that's still enough for ME AND HOPEFULLY OTHERS to be more aware of their surroundings.
Better safe than sorry....would sure hate to be one of the MEASLY 25%.....

B in Santiago

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I totally agree that EVERYONE should be careful when traveling, AND in day to day life... in the D.R. or anywhere. Crime and violence has increased everywhere over time, in both quantity and intensity. My point is that the article is biased, AND the "report" is obviously geared to the advantage of the company who supplied both it and the insurance to those whom it influences, (i.e. -nervous travelers whom it's meant to scare the bejeezers out of). SO... bottom line is that "SPIN" happens in all directions.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Condemn the whistle blower

PJT too, lives here, 8-9 months/y in Bavaro since 2001 and has observed and is aware of an increase in criminal activity. Like CC it has been reluctantly been accepted by PJT not to venture out at night unless of necessity because of fear of being victimized.

PJT for years would travel the 45 km / 28 mi road to Higuey every Wednesday night with confidence to attend Rotary meetings. Thankful now that meetings are now in the nearby Punta Cana resort, because in recent years the Higuey road has become a risk for travelers due increased criminal activity and transit accidents.

So those that spin the good news it is OK if you wish to do so. But be aware, it is like a couple having continuous domestic disputes that turn to violence, the whole community knows of the activity and someone blows the whistle to the police. So what happens, the couple and friends turn on the whistle blower.

USA Today is blowing the whistle and nothing is being done except to condemn the whistle blower.

Regards,

PJT

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Figures shouldn't alarm those from major metro areas. 10 murders of 1 million, while unfortunate, is not that many. Also many victims may be Dominicans with American citizenship--stats don't account for those. Not many tourists are murdered while on the beach with family. At more risk are those that live there.

Did they ever find who took the fence?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The difference is THIS article is about HERE.......
Who gives a F*** about Mexico City....

B in Santiago

The lesson for the DR from Mexico is this: the narcos existed with arrangements with the government for years without violence. The extreme violence began when the new party decided it wasn't going to play the same way. Cracking down on the narcos is what spawns the violence, not their mere existence.

So for those wanting someone to do something, expect that it will get much worse in the attempt to make it better.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So if anyone killed,is a "Dominican",who is also an American citizen,SOMEHOW,they shouldn't be part of the statistics,of native born US citizens????
Like we shouldn't be concerned about them??
If one of my three chindren,all dominican born,and American citizens,are killed,they should go in a statistic called,"OTHER"?
Sounds a "little" condesending to this poster!!
Where do YOU live???????
CC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
My argument is not with the content of the article, be it positive or negative relative to the D.R. It is with shoddy, biased "journalism"; aimed at garnering an audience by whatever means; usually through controversy, fear mongering, or sex. Sadly, this has become the hallmark of the vast majority of "journalism" in the U.S.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Captain",YOUR agenda is showing!
You just have to have the "Last Word" after every post that doesn't recognise your position.
I'll try One More Time!
The article,with MANY quotes from the US Dept of State,is warning about the possible dangers to US national in the DR.
It doesn't matter that there is "Crime" in other places/countries in this world("Duh!")
The op is posting about the DR,NOT what is going on "All Over The World"!
Every post with ANYTHING negative about the DR,DOES NOT need a post from our resident "Spinners" to balance the thread.
Why don't you just say,"I disagree with your post". Then say why you disagree,based on your personal experiences IN THE DR,NOT because there is crime in Montreal just as bad,or worse than SD!
You are trying to compare "Coq au Van",with "Sancocho"!
I love them BOTH,but they are FAR from the same.
CC

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I see the resident,or should I say,"Non-Resident"?, DR1,"Spin Doctors" are already "on patrol" today.
ANYTHING negative MUST be "SPUN",by saying,"It's the same,or,WORSE everywhere else.
Or attack the source,"That's not true"!,The source is biased!
I first came to the DR, in 1986.I have lived here "full time" for the last 16 years.
I used to roam the streets until the sun came up with no fear.Criminals were afraid to do ANYTHING to a "Tourista" for fear for their lives!
Now I never go out at night!
Once a year,in those days,you would hear about a tourist being killed or injured in a crime,now it's every week!
So,"Spin,Spin,Spin" you ain't gonna change reality!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I would have to agree with this statement!.... I also lived in the DR back in those golden years of the 90s and it was much safer back then and it was almost unheard of any tourist being victims of any mayor crime. The criminals were so scared to mess around especially, with the wealthy and powerful people or even worst the tourist. The police were brutal back in those days and even more feared and worst than the criminals themself's and if they would be caught they would be beaten and tortured and in some cases even executed on the spot by the police while under their custody.

Most criminals during that time were involved in small petty theft and non-violent crimes. There is definitely a twist and a trend to more criminal activity in this country now. The police have lost the upper hand in the fight aganist crime and drugs in this beutiful country and island of the DR.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
C.C. --- I really don't at all think the point was to marginalize those American citizens residing in the D.R. Certainly they (including you and your children) are every bit as important as anyone else... certainly not to be categorized as "other". The point is that the article uses the tactic of reporting statistics of American citizens murdered in the D.R. (where I would guess all or nearly all were residents of the D.R. and NOT tourists), to skew the article obviously aimed at TOURISTS. The statistic is basically irrelevant to tourists, and only serves as fear mongering.

This type of "journalism" is not geared toward providing information, it's geared toward selling newspapers, (and web traffic).

The vast majority of people in the U.S. view ALL other places in the world with suspicion, and the media only serves to promote that. A sad thing IMO.

Jan 9, 2004
CC - Nice to hear from a Moderator that actually lives here in the DR. That makes two - you and Whirlybird!

OLLY and the Team

Now how did you overlook HB.

Relative to the story, I have noticed over the years a marked increase in more violent crime and you can attribute much of it to drugs and weak judicial institutions.

Should that stop tourism, I think not. But, if left unchecked and more and more of these reports come out, tourists will seek what they perceive as safer destinations.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2