in need of advice/suggestions

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I live in Punta Cana, and a friend of mine does too. She supports her mom and dad, grandmother, sister, and special needs nephew in Santo Domingo. Her grandmother just had an accident and needs surgery. She does not have insurance and is in her 90's. The family has put together all of the money they have and are still about 50,000 pesos short. Does anyone know of any charity organizations that might be able to help with this, or have any suggestions of how I can make that much money in only a few days??? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do not get involved. You can point her in the right direction but do not get involved directly. This sort of thing is a daily occurrence in the DR. Families get through it or not.

You need to let them deal with this, just as you do not interfere with wildlife in the African savanna or the Brazilian jungle. Let it alone and observe. Since these are human beings, perhaps you can tell them where to go for help...Salud Publica, The Despacho de la Primera Dama (It's election time) Amable Aristy...El Gobierno de la Ma?ana...Corpor?n de los Santos...etc...but stay back or they will suck you in and never let you go.

HB

Mar 1, 2009
He's right, your cruisin for a bruisin. Dominican's love drama and they will make your life a soap opera.
Words to live by down here.
No tengo ahora.
Toy pelao.
Tengo el dinero en otra cosa...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"!
That was written by "Juan Pablo Duarte" here in the DR!
I always tell my "Gringo" friends who face your "situation","What would they do if you were not "available"?
CC

Mar 1, 2009
Though many of their claims are legitimate, some tragedy always befalls them type of folk. And your always their guardian angel. Don't fall for it. They already in your head. Run Forrest, run!

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Ok they are not trying to get money from me. I have been living here for 2 years and her family has become like family to me, which is why I am trying to find a way to help them. If I had the money, I would not hesitate to give it to them. I have been to see her in the hospital and talked with the doctors and she is really sick. Normally I would say the same thing and not get involved, but I can see with my own eyes that it is legitimate, and I know the family very well. They have always been there for me (I've had some rough times) and have never asked for anything from me in return. My friend is too proud to admit that she can't do this alone and will not go and ask for help, but basically I am looking to find out where I can go to ask for help...anyone with information, it would be greatly appreciated. Please keep your criticisms on Dominican families for another thread!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I did tell you where to go..no criticisms...Try those places. Amable Aristy, El Gobierno de la Ma?ana, and El Gobierno de la Tarde are the two most listened to programs in the DR. So is the Despacho de la Primera Dama now that we are in elections...and she has 20 million a month to "give away"...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can You Say,"Drama Queen"?????
I've seen this before.Someone on DR1 asks for "Help/Advice",it is given,for better or worse,then ignored,and the same "OP" begins again on another thread.
Say,"Thanks for all your help,I'll try those suggestions and let you know how things work out!"
All we get is "You don't understand,I KNOW THAT,my case/situation is "Different"!
"Wanna Bet"?
Combined "Life Experience" of DR Expat RESIDENTS,is 5,000 years!!!!
We have walked a "Mile" in your shoes,Actually,1,000 miles,and then had to buy new shoes!
Do whatever you want,or think is right,you obviously are going to do that anyway.
CC

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Thank you Hillbilly, I will look into those suggestions. I appreciate the response with suggestions. CC, I am not a drama queen, and I know the people are trying to "help" but I asked for advice on where I can go to get help for the family, not for personal opinions on how Dominicans are! If you must know, yes this case is a little different, this family has provided me with a place to stay when I was out of work and my friend has been paying my electricity and part of my rent for the past few months because money has been very tight for me and I am going through some personal things! So yes, I feel the need to try to help these people that have helped me so much! Again, thank you Hillbilly for the suggestions...I will let you know if I get a good response!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't look for money, look for another hospital. public hospitals are very cheap and the doctors are no worse than anywhere else. the goverment pays a huge part of the bill.

JaraChica

Nov 9, 2011
www.squidoo.com
I am very sorry for your friends situation, but the reality is that there are millions of legitimate cases in the world.

We'd love to help everyone, but that job belongs to Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
The farther tragedy strikes from family and friends, the less the sympathy. Let it strike your child, your wife, your friend, and your heart may just open a bit more than some on this board. Good luck, mxcutie.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am very sorry for your friends situation, but the reality is that there are millions of legitimate cases in the world.

We'd love to help everyone, but that job belongs to Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.
That's a bit harsh. The sum of money involved is not that huge and could be raised with a whip-round among your nearest and dearest. If you're on Facebook ask your FB friends to make a small Paypal donation, and do the same thing with your real life friends, relatives, employers, co-workers, neighbours even. Good luck and hope the do?a makes a full recovery.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
have the locals organize a fundraiser - like when they stand on the street and stop traffic. i hate those things, but they have the ability stir up a lot of money

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
If they are catholic best bet is the local priest e.g. Catholic missions such as Order of Malta. People do help in the tourist communities by running appeals. Be convinced it it genuine. Hospitals can sometimes waive fees. If you are connected and the family is poor the Episcopalean church has doctors/surgons on missions who donate their time. In some parts it used to be the tradition to stop all the traffic on roads to collect donations.
But this should be a family with strictly limited income.

pi2