4 days until Santo Domingo trip and nowhere to stay....

JameelahAtl

Oct 25, 2011
Hi Everyone!
I am flying out of Atlanta to the DR on February 1st and I have NOT been able to find an inexpensive, safe place via internet. ALot of the places that Ive researched have mixed reviews. I don't want to be homeless when I get there!!! I am looking for one bedroom in Santo Domingo and I am a female traveling solo. This will be my first time in the country so I want somewhere relative to the community. I am staying for 2 weeks and want to spend about $300US. I would even be willing to rent a room or in law suite from a family. Please help!
Also, any suggestions about what to do while there? I want to really experience the country, where should I go?
Thanks for your help!

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
Might not find much for only $300 and 2 weeks. Try Boca Chica, cheaper and not far away by bus. The El Caucho Hotel is $25 to $35 per night depending on the season. Chantal runs the place and is a nice lady. I live a few doors down the street and spend most evenings out front. Chantal---809-523-6734 or chantal.el.caucho@hotmail.com. Tell her Gari sent you and she might give you a greak on the pricing.

Gary...er Captboink

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
It is tourist season here now. Oh and ignore all the bad rap that may come from some of the folks on here. I live here and it is not such a bad place to live or visit.

May 29, 2006
$300 for 14 days on your FIRST trip????

$1000 would be much more realistic and even that would be on the low side of what most back-packer type tourists would pay after hotels, travel and eating expenses. If nothing else, you want to have something of a cushion. You do not want to be caught short of money when you are traveling. I've been there and done that and living on colmado food gets boring pretty quick.

Maybe at the hostel place in Jarabacoa?

Jarabacoa Mountain Hostel | Dominican Republic

A reasonable daily budget range would be:

Hotel $30-$45 (or more, depending on region)
Transport $10-$15 (or more, if touring)
Food $15-$30
Drinks $0-$15 (even water is going to be about $3-$5/day if you buy the little bottles)
Other $0-$15

So based on those numbers, you're looking at $45-$120/day. That's based on part what I've spent on my trips and I'm about as cheap a tourist you're going to meet in the DR.

I think you'd have a hard time getting by on that kind of money even volunteering at some orphanage where if you want a shower it involves a five gallon plastic bucket and you have to bring your own TP. They often expect volunteers to donate about $100/week to help them with their operating costs.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think 300US is her accom budget. It is impossible for a visitor to get by on 300US all in, I don't care who you are. Most halfway acceptable (call centre etc) doms live on that kind of money without having to pay for accom, living with parents.

I see no point in even trying to get by on that money all in, it would be a purely miserable time, wandering the streets like a tramp, looking in KFC and cake shop windows like oliver twist, dreaming of owning a presidente some day!

Don't do the Cap like that, it isn't worth it.

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
I was thinking she meant $300 for lodging. yeah 50 to 100 per day for everything some pretty good.

Gary...er Captboink

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
yeah definitely bring more money, especially if you want to travel around the country. 3 or 4 joints around here where you can get a meal for about $4 and those kinda joints are all over the country. water at the colmado about .40, cerveza $1.5 to $2. even get a good meal on duarte here for $6 or $7. bus into the capital one way $1.80. tours of the colonial zone $25 or so.

Gary...er Captboink

JameelahAtl

Oct 25, 2011
I wasn't speaking about food, attractions etc. $300 was what I planned to spend on lodging. I figure if I can get a 1 bedroom apartment in Santo Domingo for $600/month then it shouldn't be a problem to get a place for 2 weeks for half that... makes sense to me mathematically. At any rate, some members have contacted me directly about places that they know of and I found a great website Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb where families who rent rooms post available rooms. Honestly, as I am a single woman traveling alone, I'd prefer to stay with a host family. I was going to stay for 6 months with a host family, but I am not able to do this with the university for such a short period.
I had planned to spend additional money on surviving as I do not want to look in KFC and spend my time roaming like Olliver Twist lol.

JameelahAtl

Oct 25, 2011
Just wondering, what is there to do in Boca Chica? I've heard of Sousa and Punta Canta <---I think thats how its spelled. But not the area that you refer to. Is it an area for tourists? Or mostly families?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Boca Chica is not the place to send a single mother. It is the worst area in the entire country.
$300 for two weeks is not something a first time visitor should be considering. It can be done but you need to have some knowledge of your way around to do it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just wondering, what is there to do in Boca Chica? I've heard of Sousa and Punta Canta <---I think thats how its spelled. But not the area that you refer to. Is it an area for tourists? Or mostly families?

Honestly, Boca Chica is not really on the top of your "must see" attractions list for a single young female. It is a drug/prostitute infested Beach Resort town. However Sundays it comes alive with Dominican families, and if you are alert and are good at waving off touts and vendors you will enjoy the scenery, otherwise not for you!

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Haa you, how's it going?
300 is no where near enough for descent lodging!
Maybe you should consider a ( Hostle ), there's some okay ones in the colonial zone just search the forums.
Boca chica is a nice choice for day trips take the bus not a taxi.
Visit ( El conde ) hang out at Paco's bar & grill and look for other americans, who will happily provide advise on entertainment and outings. I've been visiting for 10 yrs and found its cheaper to rent an apart-hotel for a month at $500. And just leave when your ready.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hanging out on El Conde is not for single black females, if she does she will certainly get American attention, and not the kind she wants.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
$300 for lodging for 2 weeks in the DR?

IMGP4486-300x225.jpg

That might be available.

Good luck...

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Hanging out on El Conde is not for single black females, if she does she will certainly get American attention, and not the kind she wants.

Why? Because every American/ Gringo will assume that a single black female is just in the Conde looking to sell herself? Really is that how you people think??

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Why? Because every American/ Gringo will assume that a single black female is just in the Conde looking to sell herself? Really is that how you people think??

No because single black females do not hang out on El Conde alone, unless they are selling themselves. No it is not how 'WE' (lol) people think, it is how it actually is. I know it is not how it is, this is why I warn against it. I spent many years sitting outside El Conde watching this, seeing how it all goes down, I am not talking poo poo!
But if you want to then cool, you just say no, once the accent comes out then they will know they have made a mistake.
The problem is there are lots of women around who are doing this, so she will be in the minority of single black females alone hanging around the streets and bars alone. If she doesn't mind being viewed in this way I have no issue and neither should you, but don't say it aint so!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If this is a single, black, female university student, I would not go to Santo Domingo in the first place! I would go to Santiago where there are people who might care.

Boca Chica is a pig-sty. I cringe when I hear people planning to go there for vacations. Any black female there is a professional woman...(stereotyped==yes!)

Santo Domingo can be daunting to a young woman...color not a factor. It is big, noisy, raucous, ad very spread out. If you do not have a friend there, I would not advise a US Marine to go there first. With a friend, you would have a ball!!

Like I said. Come to Santiago, where there are places you can stay at that price, prices are lower, entertainment is varied, and you will find friends at the PUCMM campus who could help you go around...

Think about it...

HB

WOW! I just saw this woman's introduction. 28, and entrepreneur, mother of two and "living life..." ..

Okay, then,,,try the pensiones in Santo Domingo and do the club scene there. You will probably be a hit...and you can find a place for 300 for 13/14 days...I am sure. Have a good time!

I was thinking a 20 year old lass out of Spellman...way off base there!!

Last edited:

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
Boca Chica is a tourist area about 20 miles from Santo Domingo. Large Beach hardly any beaches in Santo Domingo to speak of so on weekends the beach is full of people from the Capital. Boca Chica is probably best known for its singles night life as is Sosua. Beach vendors can be a pain in the a@@ but they don't bother me much anymore. Type in Boca Chica into a search and will give you a whole lot more info.

Gary...er Captboink