Anyone have a triple A surgery??

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Well I need to go back home. My father was recently in the hospital and they discovered via a CT Scan that he had a abdominal aneurysm about 6 cm (??). The surgeon is going to place a stent in the vein through the groin. Dad is 80 yrs old and well quite nervous to say the least. He has really never had major surgery other than a appy about 25 years ago. I know he needs this surgery but he is also 80 and he has lived with it this long. Heck most do not know they have one until it bursts. He is pretty active for his age, I just do not want this to be the beginning of the end so to speak. Has anyone had experience with this?

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Thanks Derfish..This blockage they say is a aortic type, below the renal area. Because of his age they say this is the best way. Thru the aortic and then they will place a stent. I leave tomorrow and of course I am going crazy. Maybe it is not a stent but a sheath???? to keep the aneursym from bursting through the vein. He loves our Island, of course with Mom...;)

Last edited:

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
it would definitely be a sheath - a device to strengthen the area internally. An aneurysm is a weakening of the arterial wall where part of the artery stretches out and could burst internally - which would be immediately fatal or quickly fatal. If it's an aortic aneurysm it means it's an artery directly downstream from the heart and has the highest pressure on the artery walls.
6 cm is quite large so good they found this now and can repair before it burst, they should be able to do this with mild sedation instead of full anesthesia.
Karlheinz - a semi-retired nurse practitioner

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Well I need to go back home. My father was recently in the hospital and they discovered via a CT Scan that he had a abdominal aneurysm about 6 cm (??). The surgeon is going to place a stent in the vein through the groin. Dad is 80 yrs old and well quite nervous to say the least. He has really never had major surgery other than a appy about 25 years ago. I know he needs this surgery but he is also 80 and he has lived with it this long. Heck most do not know they have one until it bursts. He is pretty active for his age, I just do not want this to be the beginning of the end so to speak. Has anyone had experience with this?

I had bypass surgery and 3 stents installed four years later.The recuperation time for bypass surgery would be hard on your dad but the angioplastie to instal a stent will be really easy on him.You are awake during the whole procedure,6 hours later,you can walk and,if all is well,you are release the next day.You are told to take it easy for the first week.

Good luck to you and your dad.
Regards.
Mike

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I had bypass surgery and 3 stents installed four years later.The recuperation time for bypass surgery would be hard on your dad but the angioplastie to instal a stent will be really easy on him.You are awake during the whole procedure,6 hours later,you can walk and,if all is well,you are release the next day.You are told to take it easy for the first week.

Good luck to you and your dad.
Regards.
Mike
As was discussed, he is not talking about coronary artery bypass or stents. He is talking about repair of an abdominal aortic aneurism (AAA). Sheathing of the aneurism is to reinforce the artery and prevent further expansion of the aneruism. If the aneurism would begin to dissect (tear), surgical intervention is usually too late. In any case, whether a replacement graft is inserted or sheathing is done, either procedure is an open abdominal surgery requiring full anesthesia.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
As was discussed, he is not talking about coronary artery bypass or stents. He is talking about repair of an abdominal aortic aneurism (AAA). Sheathing of the aneurism is to reinforce the artery and prevent further expansion of the aneruism. If the aneurism would begin to dissect (tear), surgical intervention is usually too late. In any case, whether a replacement graft is inserted or sheathing is done, either procedure is an open abdominal surgery requiring full anesthesia.

The OP said that they would instal a stent through the groin.I think that we are talking about two different operation.If that is the case,it is not major surgery but a very simple procedure today.There is no scars and hardly any pain,just a little disconfort.

Quote::

The surgeon is going to place a stent in the vein through the groin.

Regards

Mike

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

The OP said that they would instal a stent through the groin.I think that we are talking about two different operation.If that is the case,it is not major surgery but a very simple procedure today.There is no scars and hardly any pain,just a little disconfort.

Quote::

The surgeon is going to place a stent in the vein through the groin.

Regards
Mike

A stent is not a treatment for a Triple A.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Ok update and thanks for all wishes... They put a sheath (sp?) in. 2 cuts in the groin area. For those in the medical field he had a " swan a-line " put in. My dad has been on high blood pressure meds but found out that basically he has low blood pressure??? The nurse said we should not give him the meds unless he is 120 or under. My dad who never takes narcotics has had percocet..Poor dad he is totally out of it. 80 yrs and still going strong. Hopefully going home soon and yes me too.....Thanks for all the PM's......

Last edited:

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
I'm happy to hear that he is OK.I hope that the procedure wasn't too hard on him.
Mike

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Ok update and thanks for all wishes... They put a sheath (sp?) in. 2 cuts in the groin area. For those in the medical field he had a " swan a-line " put in. My dad has been on high blood pressure meds but found out that basically he has low blood pressure??? The nurse said we should not give him the meds unless he is 120 or under. My dad who never takes narcotics has had percocet..Poor dad he is totally out of it. 80 yrs and still going strong. Hopefully going home soon and yes me too.....Thanks for all the PM's......
What you are referring to as a "swan a-line" is a Swan-Ganz catheter or also called a pulmonary artery catheter. It is used to precisely monitor pressures in the right side (pulmonary side) of the heart. Although this is an invasive procedure, the information gained helps in future management of the patient. Pulmonary artery catheter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia