Cabarete or Las Terreanas

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
If it were you, what place would you choose to settle down between Cabarete and Las Terrenas? And for what reasons? :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Las Terrenas is too remote and I don't speak French any more after 35 years of not using it.

I do live in Cabarete and chose it because I like the location. Close to an airport that flies to the US.
Close to Puerto Plata also possible to make a day trip to the major city of Santiago.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Cabrera. Close enuf to major tourist places and airports. 2 hours to SD by new toll highway. Quiet and safe.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It depends on what kind of person you are. Cabarete can be busy or quiet. The availabilty of markets and other things you need is greater. Bigger english speaking com.. Don't need a car to live. Closer to Hosp.. Both are good. We decided to live here.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
LT is booming - a rising star in tourist destinations.
More natural and unspoilt.
Markets are great in LT huge variety.
International airport nearby - flights to much of Europe.
Exclusive locations for condos, villas etc.
Good Dominican culture - but also multi national France, German etc.
Superior higher class hotels.
Roads are safer and easier.
Huge variety of developments.
Reaching for a top place in international tourism.
Better weather.
Restaurants etc. with excellent beacside ambience.
Building limits have and will prevent urbanistaion.
Country walks are better.
etc.etc.

pi2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There is no choice but Las Terrenas. Here there are some of the best beaches in the DR. There are also restaurants which for the most part are better than in Santo Domingo. You will find authentic French, Italian and German food. Also, French, Spanish, English and Italian are widely spoken. The town of Las Terrenas is spread out and offers all types of services and goods, a lot of which you will not find in other parts of the DR. Las Terrenas is casual but with a touch of European flair. You also have a very large choice of accommodations and housing, diving, surfing, hiking and biking are among the many options.

S

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
All of our guests who have been to Cabarete and Las Terrenas say, "Las Terrenas..hands down". My opinion is to settle in the hills and not too close to the beach if you prefer tranquility but if you like to be able to walk to town and restaurants look into the Playa Ballenas area.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm about to get crucified here.

Choose Cabarete, hands down, better in every respect except beach remoteness.

1.) Cabarete is the Kite Capitol of the Caribbean. Two international contests are held here each year.
2.) A lot more supermarkets, food choices, food options within the supermarkets--Playero, Janets, La Sirena..30 minutes away and bigger in every respect to what's available in Las Terrenas.
3.) Less French people and Italians smoking you out.
4.) Closeness to big stores like La Sirena (a smaller version of Walmart, and more like a Target store)
5.) Cabarete is cleaner than Las Terrenas.
6.) A lot more good looking girls and guys to look at walking up and down the beach (if your into that).
7.) a lot more restaurants, with dozens sitting directly on the beach. Las Terrenas has this as well but, nothing as expansive as the beaches that sit in front of the restauarants here in Cabarete.
8.) Cabarete has a great sushi restaurant (Yakamoto) and a great Tex-Mex (Gorditos) restaurant. hands down better than anything in las Terrenas.
9.) Nearly every restaurant in Cabarete has free Wi-FI (internet)
10.) Several nightclubs on the beach (if your into that)
11.) Better looking working girls (Hookers...if you're into that)
12.) Better looking guys (Sankies..if you're into that.)
13.) Better surfing facilities where you can either store or rent surf equipment (Encuentro).
14.) Better sex (The oxygen levels are higher in Cabarete)
15.) Better looking people (something in the water promotes a healthier skin glow.)
16.) Closer to bigger stores and bigger cities...Santiago & Puerto Plata
17.) Live entertainment on the weekends at pubs and bars.
18.) better dancers, longer legs...did i mention that Las Terrenas is full of french and italians. terrible dancers!

I got to go now, but i'll finish this later after i get chastised here.

FRank

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am LT fan , but I don't think I could live there, I would feel too isolated. It is far from everything indeed. And, the reality is that besides the beach, there is not much to do. So Frank has a point. But I am not sure I would pick Cabarete since I am not into if you are not into kitesurfing,nor surfing.

LMAO at 18) so true, excluding me of course :)

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Baby boomers and others want:
Lock up and go - on a World trip etc. Crime and run-down properties are a feature of
Cab. LT.
Good property no more than a block from the Beach. LT again plenty! Starting prices
low. LT again.
Nearby restaurants : LT again most restaurants are within walking distance of center.
Public transportation : excellent coach to SD : services to other areas. Equal Cab.
Views from villa, condo etc. Beach and mountain views from nearly all developments : not run down supermarkets such as Cab. LT again.
Ambience: Superior international ambience in LT.
Diversity: Many interesting people in both locations : but probably LT wins out for
internationally minded people. All the way from 5 star villas and resorts down to
hostels.
Health care: Two 24 hour emergency clinics in LT equal anything in the rest of the island
manned by internationally trained doctors with ambulance services. LT =
Built out: 3 story limit in LT : Cab has urban sprawl and high buildings. LT again

,Better looking working girls, - I thought this was a family forum. Working girls Cab?

pi2

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Pi you are not very objective.

Internationally minded people in LT ? Shoot, I am French and I know tons of French expats living in DR who can't stand LT because of the French living there. Most of them stay among themselves and can't stand others (including Dom. and American). You need to brush up your language skills.

Let's be real. Several posters want us to believe that LT is a place with people living together in harmony. That is not the case. Expats are on one side, Dom. on the other. I spoke to Dom who are not too fond of Euros because they drive prices up. I have a Dom "friend" who is quite well-off, I have never seen him hanging out with expats if it wasn't business related. He hangs out with similar dominicans.

I don't know which clinic you are talking about. But I saw one, can't remember the name, I just prayed that nothing serious happen to me, nor my children.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
For me, Cabarete every time. I've nothing against French or Italians, but Cabarete is definitely more cosmopolitan - i.e. people from all over the world. Also, LT is a bit isolated, although the new road helps. More different things to do in Cabarete.

As for Sosua - good for a boys' night out!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Fascinating - I lived and worked in France and it seemed to be a fact that the French from Marsellies and some other regions could never get along with the French from Paris. However when the French guy from Marseilles donned his classic white pants and there was a party with Bouillabaisse Marseillaise being served a completely different atmospere prevailed. Equally the French were at time ant--British - but be with a group of them at A UK nightclub and the grande european ideal was strong.

Some US citizens supported ,freedom fries, etc. etc.

I have fully appreciated the hospitality of the French in LT - the champagne at the nightclub, charity dinners, etc. etc. and do not think think very many conform to that unfortunate stereotype of a Frenchman.

Some Dominicans think the French are too demainding : but when they reflect over a rum or two they see that the French influence has done good things for LT. They enjoy going to nightspots not exclusively tourist, drinking at French owned bars etc. etc.

The drainage system with EU grants was promoted by the French here.

pi2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Cabarate / For Surfer and Kite DUDES & DUDESSES

If you want a real Dominican life style than Cabarate is not the right choice. Unless of course you want to be harrassed by beach vendors, ladies of the night and over pay for drinks and food. Cabarate is fine for a week or two but gets old real fast. If you are 20 and into surf or kite boarding and partying all night than by all means go and live there. If you want to interact with Dominicans, Haitians and people from all over Europe and North America and see what life is like outside of the over crowded tourist traps than Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula awaits you. You may even learn another language.

S

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Fascinating - I lived and worked in France and it seemed to be a fact that the French from Marsellies and some other regions could never get along with the French from Paris. However when the French guy from Marseilles donned his classic white pants and there was a party with Bouillabaisse Marseillaise being served a completely different atmospere prevailed. Equally the French were at time ant--British - but be with a group of them at A UK nightclub and the grande european ideal was strong.

Some US citizens supported ,freedom fries, etc. etc.

I have fully appreciated the hospitality of the French in LT - the champagne at the nightclub, charity dinners, etc. etc. and do not think think very many conform to that unfortunate stereotype of a Frenchman.

Some Dominicans think the French are too demainding : but when they reflect over a rum or two they see that the French influence has done good things for LT. They enjoy going to nightspots not exclusively tourist, drinking at French owned bars etc. etc.

The drainage system with EU grants was promoted by the French here.

pi2

Thanks for the insight. I don't want to stereotype because I have met plenty of French that were very nice, others not so much (with a lots of paternalistic/colonial attitude).

I agree people from Marseille are lovely, friendlier (yes, I am Parisian :) ). I have notice that many French in LT are from the south so that is a good thing, lol.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If you want a real Dominican life style than Cabarate is not the right choice. Unless of course you want to be harrassed by beach vendors, ladies of the night and over pay for drinks and food. Cabarate is fine for a week or two but gets old real fast. If you are 20 and into surf or kite boarding and partying all night than by all means go and live there. If you want to interact with Dominicans, Haitians and people from all over Europe and North America and see what life is like outside of the over crowded tourist traps than Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula awaits you. You may even learn another language.

S

Is LT an accurate representation of Dominican life ?

LT is less developed than many, but it is still a tourist town.

I am curious how do you interact with Haitians for example ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Las Terrenas is a tourist town but what is unique about it is that the tourist sector and the business sector are somewhat separate. There is a large business district which is spread out over more than a mile of which most of the businesses are owned and operated by Dominicanos. You will find all the goods and services that are representative of Dominican life. The interesting thing about Las Terrenas is that there is a genuine respect between native residents and the European, North American community. European restaurant and hotel owners, rely upon Dominican and Haitian workers to keep business up and running smoothly. Also 10 minutes up in the hills you will find small family farms and villages which are quite indicative of the DR. There are a few Haitian guys who work at the residence where my condo is. I find them not only hard workers but very honest and friendly. Las Terrenas is a simple beach community with a European flair and a local charm.

S

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Both Las Terrenas and Cabarete have their appeal.

I don't like the way in which Las Terrenas has grown over the last 10 years. It was a super sleepy little town with wonderful beaches nearby. It's now much less pristine, and many of those beaches now have mega-projects underway. The highway from the capital will only make it worse as the economy improves. If just a small percentage of the hoped-for Dominicans from the capital invade Las Terrenas on the weekends - the town's roads, beaches, and other facilities will be overrun. Not my idea of a great place to live.

Frank12's 18 reasons for choosing Cabarete are pretty accurate. It was my choice, too... though not for all of his reasons!

That said, I'm leaving Cabarete in a couple of weeks to go on a 'vacation' to Las Terrenas. Who says you can't have both?!!