Noobie

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Looking to get info on living in the dr, as it concerns a yank who is awaiting a visa for his spouse

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
A lot will depend on where the wife is from, her family's social economic level and on what part of the island he wants to live. I would recommend that he not live in the same town as his in-laws if possible, esp. at first. If this is a relationship where the foreigner is much better off than Dominican spouse then he will want to establish ground rules for how much he is willing to give to the family in terms of money and time and that is easier if you aren't living right on top of them.
If their family background, economic status and experiences are similar then live in the same town and enjoy the extended family network with the new in-laws.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
I can see this already in 1, 2, 3...is she living in a barrio? does she have any sick "abuela"?, etc etc etc...hahaha i looooove this forum so much....

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Welcome to DR1.

I'm a "yank" too, but it strikes me as a little out of the norm to refer to yourself that way (spend some time on the other side of the pond?)

There is much biased, judgemental, opinionated, unsolicited advice for foreigners marrying Dominicans in the archives. Much of it is spot on, but it's in code and can't be understood by those in love.

Good luck with the everything.