Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Power

I am a yank who comes to the DR periodically to visit his spouse who is awaiting a visa. What frustrates me, are the random, recuring power outages which can last for hours. I try to explain that this would NEVER be tolerated in the states, and ask why people put up with it. I can't seem to get a coherent answer, and the general attitude seems to be one of resignment and noncholance. I must add, that I experience these outages away from the capital, mainly in the northeast. A big WHY??

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of these outages are not "random". You can check the utilities website for the schedule. These outages are necessitated by the huge volume of electricity that is produced and not paid for. The utility has "x" dollars to pay for production costs. When they expend their budget, they schedule outages.

3. Likes lisagauss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are detailed explanations for this situation, which can be summed up as follows:

Many users at both ends of the economic scale do not pay for the service and the authorities haven't got the courage to clamp down completely, mainly for political reasons. The middle classes shoulder the burden.
    Infrastructure is not in great shape.
    Funds are not well managed (note understatement).

Having said that there have been improvements in some of these areas compared to the way things were several years ago.

It's also worth mentioning that there are some areas of the country where power is reliable - the east coast, the Samaná peninsula and Bayahibe, because they are supplied by a private power company outside the ailing CDEEE/EDE structure. Power is more expensive but it's worth it.

5. Likes lisagauss, Criss Colon, frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You will get used to it after a while. Its like the weather. Move to an area that has "nearly" 24 hours of electricity like parts of Sosua or buy yourself a generator. It is not going to change in the forseeable future.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

(A) Lord give me the knowledge to know the things I cannot change, (B) change the things I can and (C) the wisdom to know the difference.
    I pray for you to experience (C) first, and then decide on (A) of (B).

8. Likes Criss Colon, Rattus_Rattus liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    You will get used to it after a while. Its like the weather. Move to an area that has "nearly" 24 hours of electricity like parts of Sosua or buy yourself a generator. It is not going to change in the forseeable future.

One Dominican at a time please!

Post Thanks / Like

Or to Punta Cana, Las Terrenas or Bayahibe!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Its more romantic without the buzzing sounds of the novellas. Dont get angry- make sweeeeet love....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The power outages can be summed up it in one phrase: "Sexual conditioning & Dr. Pepper." it's all part of the government plan to encourage rabbit-like breeding. No, i'm not kidding. My cousin, Rosa De Los Santos, is in the current government (check it out for yourself), underneath the Minister of Women's Health & Reproduction. Rosa De los Santos is the Dr. Ruth of the dominican Republic and holds a PHD in women's health and reproduction. She's from Bonao. She told me that the government wants to encourage healthy breeding practices, so they purposely schedule the rolling blackouts according to a tried and tested formula that's on the front of every Dr. Pepper can: "10, 4, & 6". Take a look for yourself if you doubt this.

10, 4, & 6 are when the power outages are normally scheduled throughout the country. The problem, however, is that they cannot always be adhered to because, well, let's face it, dominicans working in the energy sector (including several family members of mine) fall asleep behind the controls, others don't know how to tell time, and others are family members of the management staff whom are sadly illiterate but behind the controls and somehow in charge.

Rosa also told me that they're are reliable statistics showing that whenever there is a rolling blackout--whether in the USA or Dominican Republic, pregnancy and conception rates--including Immaculate Conception (by proxy of neighbors)--jump through the roof because, let's face it, there is nothing else to do during these power outages but to breed like rabbits. hence, it is during these hours that breeding takes on an almost Rabbit like sexual repitition where people mate like rabbits until they either pass out or have coronary--which neccessitates the use of heart defibulators--which sadly are seldom working becuase, well, there is no electricity!

The catholic church here both condones and encourages these rolling blackouts--as does the Jehovah Witnesses, Evangelicals, Baptists, Scientologists, nudists camps, and several registered breeder's clubs throughout the country. Again, i know it sounds far-fetched, but its true. I was a product of these rolling blackouts.

Frank

13. Likes suarezn, Africaida, belmont liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    Again, i know it sounds far-fetched, but its true. I was a product of these rolling blackouts.

Frank
    Ah... one more good reason why electricity has to improve... just joking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast