Power

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I am a yank who comes to the DR periodically to visit his spouse who is awaiting a visa. What frustrates me, are the random, recuring power outages which can last for hours. I try to explain that this would NEVER be tolerated in the states, and ask why people put up with it. I can't seem to get a coherent answer, and the general attitude seems to be one of resignment and noncholance. I must add, that I experience these outages away from the capital, mainly in the northeast. A big WHY??

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Most of these outages are not "random". You can check the utilities website for the schedule. These outages are necessitated by the huge volume of electricity that is produced and not paid for. The utility has "x" dollars to pay for production costs. When they expend their budget, they schedule outages.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are detailed explanations for this situation, which can be summed up as follows:

Many users at both ends of the economic scale do not pay for the service and the authorities haven't got the courage to clamp down completely, mainly for political reasons. The middle classes shoulder the burden.
Infrastructure is not in great shape.
Funds are not well managed (note understatement).

Having said that there have been improvements in some of these areas compared to the way things were several years ago.

It's also worth mentioning that there are some areas of the country where power is reliable - the east coast, the Saman? peninsula and Bayahibe, because they are supplied by a private power company outside the ailing CDEEE/EDE structure. Power is more expensive but it's worth it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You will get used to it after a while. Its like the weather. Move to an area that has "nearly" 24 hours of electricity like parts of Sosua or buy yourself a generator. It is not going to change in the forseeable future.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
(A) Lord give me the knowledge to know the things I cannot change, (B) change the things I can and (C) the wisdom to know the difference.
I pray for you to experience (C) first, and then decide on (A) of (B).

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The power outages can be summed up it in one phrase: "Sexual conditioning & Dr. Pepper." it's all part of the government plan to encourage rabbit-like breeding. No, i'm not kidding. My cousin, Rosa De Los Santos, is in the current government (check it out for yourself), underneath the Minister of Women's Health & Reproduction. Rosa De los Santos is the Dr. Ruth of the dominican Republic and holds a PHD in women's health and reproduction. She's from Bonao. She told me that the government wants to encourage healthy breeding practices, so they purposely schedule the rolling blackouts according to a tried and tested formula that's on the front of every Dr. Pepper can: "10, 4, & 6". Take a look for yourself if you doubt this.

10, 4, & 6 are when the power outages are normally scheduled throughout the country. The problem, however, is that they cannot always be adhered to because, well, let's face it, dominicans working in the energy sector (including several family members of mine) fall asleep behind the controls, others don't know how to tell time, and others are family members of the management staff whom are sadly illiterate but behind the controls and somehow in charge.

Rosa also told me that they're are reliable statistics showing that whenever there is a rolling blackout--whether in the USA or Dominican Republic, pregnancy and conception rates--including Immaculate Conception (by proxy of neighbors)--jump through the roof because, let's face it, there is nothing else to do during these power outages but to breed like rabbits. hence, it is during these hours that breeding takes on an almost Rabbit like sexual repitition where people mate like rabbits until they either pass out or have coronary--which neccessitates the use of heart defibulators--which sadly are seldom working becuase, well, there is no electricity!

The catholic church here both condones and encourages these rolling blackouts--as does the Jehovah Witnesses, Evangelicals, Baptists, Scientologists, nudists camps, and several registered breeder's clubs throughout the country. Again, i know it sounds far-fetched, but its true. I was a product of these rolling blackouts.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ah... one more good reason why electricity has to improve... just joking ;)

HAha, isn't that the truth! during puberty...when i was trying to lose my virginity with anything outside of my right hand, I telepathically asked my parents daily...why on earth did you go to the Dominican Repubic to plant the Demon Seed (sperm) when you knew for a fact that the fertilizer there is contaminated and toxic, and therefore, anything born from this hazardous environment would almost certainly be either a wreckless driver, a womanizer, or the devil incarnate!?

Well, since it is socially unacceptable to ask one's parents these kinds of questions, i telepathically sent them a daily request for a hazmat suit to wear while having unprotected sex on the island so as not to make the same colossal mistake they did. Sadly, they never heard my request or completely ignored it.

Frank

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will have to buy the gasoline,when YOU want electricity.
Dominicans can live just fine without lights.
They are used to it.
If you lived here,you would be able to tolerate lots of things that would drive a person nuts in a REAL COUNTRY!
"When In Rome!
CC

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
When living in an other country, you will have to learn how to live with the disadvantages of that country, and experience whether you can put up with them.

Think about all the disadvantages of your own country, before you judge another one. Like all the laws regulating your life for you. Telling you what you can do, but mostly what you cannot do.

I lived for a year in the States, as a foreign exchange student. All my mates got great locations, like Florida, California, Texas, etc... I got ILLINOIS!!!! The whole ****ing year I saw nothing else but CORN!!!! Did I regret it? No, I made some fantastic friends which I am still in contact with after 30 years.

After almost 3 years in the DR, I got used to the power outages. I do not like them, but I tolerate them. I tolerate Claro, Orange, Edenorte, the fact you sometimes can get certain items and then not, that the pharmacies have no idea what they are doing (DV8 not included...), the traffic laws or the lack of logic in them, the belief that a tap in your kitchen or bathroom has to be able to move around, that your styrofoam lunch tray has to be thrown out of the bus, etc....

Then again, I love the interaction with, and the friendliness, of the locals. I love the fact that I can go to the beach with my dogs (except on Sunday), and let them run freely. The fact I can go to a restaurant, and have a couple of drinks without being terrified of getting stopped on the way home (not condoning drunk driving). The fact that they repair things here, instead of replacing them. The fact that people care and help each other. The fact that people KNOW everybody in their street. Etc....

Choice made, happy with it, and I am here to stay.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I lived for a year in the States, as a foreign exchange student. All my mates got great locations, like Florida, California, Texas, etc... I got ILLINOIS!!!! The whole ****ing year I saw nothing else but CORN!!!! Did I regret it? No, I made some fantastic friends which I am still in contact with after 30 years.

As I was born and raised in Illinois, there is a whole lot more than corn.......CHICAAAAAAAGO...........
If you can't find a great time there........you can't find it anywhere.
The Bulls, White Sox, Cubbies, Bears, Blackhawks, last but not least the Wolves.......
Museums, fantastic restaurants, etc etc etc.........the list goes on....

B in Santiago thinking of Chicago restaurants...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Waytogo",ME TOO!
That "Corn",and don't forget "soybeans" my grandpa grew put food on a lot of tables!
"Little","CC" born in Streator,Illinois.1946
I hate it when people pronounce the "S"
Cris Colon

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I agree about Chicago, but as I was in Pekin, which was 3 hours away, I did not get to see a whole lot of it. As an exchange-student you are not allowed to drive.

After I left Illinois it took me 5 years before I could face corn again... now I love it again...