Bus from SDQ to Puerto Plata

BrazilianNuts

Jan 30, 2012
Hello,

I am traveling with my family (wife, son 16 and daughter 8) to Puerto Plata on March 9. We arrive in Santo Domingo (SDQ) on March 10 at 12:10 PM. I have searched and found that the best transfer to Puerto Plata is by bus, either Caribe Tours or Metro.

Can someone please give me directions on how to proceed? We would like to know the following info:

- do we need to book the bus prior our arrival? what is the phone number and do they have someone that speaks English for the reservation?
- how to get from the airport to the bus? either Caribe Tours or Metro
- hotel we will be staying in Puerto Plata is Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, but the receptionist told us to request to be dropped off at Cofressi Hacienda Resort (I am guessing the resort name has changed and locals know by Cofressi)

We appreciate if someone can send us the step by step info on how to have this booked so there is no stress since we are traveling with two kids (one being a teenager!).

Thanks in advance.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
1) Leave customs and proceed to Taxi area. You will see a large sign with rates per cab. (not per person)
2) Take taxi, tell them Caribe tours oficina making sure you agree on the fare before leaving. Then drive...
3) Enter Caribe tours terminal, go to ticket booth, buy tickets for next bus.
4) Upon entering bus tell driver Lifestyles or Cofressi Hacienda Resort. He will drop you off on the road.
5) Walk down the entrance road to the resort.

Note: Best to take luggage on board as he then doesn't have to stop and get luggage out of the bay. So don't overpack.
Also be sure to tip the guy.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As RV429 advised, take a taxi to Caribe Tours. Caribe Tours has more buses going to POP than does Metro, so you may reduce waiting time for next bus.

Neither Metro or Caribe Tours takes luggage from luggage compartment except at the terminals. Check with your hotel to see if they have a special arrangement with Caribe Tours to open the luggage compartment at Cofressi Hacdienda Resort. If not, you will have to take your luggage into the passenger compartment.

You don't have anything to worry about except the luggage and making sure the driver knows where you are getting off if this is not a regular stop. Since I have taken that bus many times and never stopped at that resort, I doubt that it is a regular stop, consequently not one where luggage will be unloaded from the compartment below.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Worse case senario if you can't unload at the hotel, continue on the bus to the Caribe terminal. About 10 minutes past the hotel. Taxis are always available at the terminal and will cost about 250-300 pesos (about US$ 10). That way you won't have to worry about lugging your luggage from the road to the hotel (a few hundred yards).