Caribe Tours bus down near Jarabacoa

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We passed it coming up the hill, 6 of us on bikes, around 4pm. It may have happened within 10 minutes of us going by.

There were two ambulances and guys with stretchers going into the woods. But we saw no vehicle but a lot of flattened vegetation. It was obvious something just flat missed the curve dead on coming downhill. It was wet and and we saw no skid marks, so I figure brake failure.

There were folks being carried by hand and being put in the ambulances, although I didn't see any blood and was looking for it. Traffic was backed up at least 1km up the hill, and no one was passing the scene (they let us through because we're small.)

Further up the hill 3 more ambulances went screaming past, and a bunch of AMET jeepetas.

That is a nasty curve.

I wish the victims well, and grace to all who grieve...:cry:

EDIT: I don't think it was the "Curve of the Virgin." That is further uphill. This happened in that nasty decreasing radius, reverse camber 270 degree curve just as the big hill starts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Doesn't sound good. I'm very sorry for all involved.

Caribe Tours always scares me when they blow past me , in either direction, taking up the whole road.

I seriously believe they should reassess their drivers.
if this comes down to poor/aggressive driving (rather than brake failure) , the point will be made.

Nonetheless, I suspect little will change - sadly.

God bless

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It could well be the vehicle, twice in a month out of three times we had to change coach for failures before entering the highway, and they had another coach to change us to waiting so I am figuring they have them as backup and raring to go, so not something that rare.
If this is the bend I think it is, it drops off through thin wood down a blind hill off the crest? That could be nasty if the driver was thrown clear of his seat (which he would be there).

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Just had our friends on the phone. It is the bus going upwards Jarabacoa who is involved in the accident. It was the bus they had to take but they missed it because their connecting bus from Santiago was late. They heard in La Vega about the accident and took a guagua up the mountain.
The place of the accident is still fully busy but they do not know anything about how it happened.
I, for one, am glad I heard their voice.

Acira

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Caribe Tours bus on the road plunges Jarabacoa-La Vega
Is unknown whether there KILLED OR WOUNDED

renderimage.aspx

6a00d834518de369e2016300692bd0970d-500wi.jpg

Entre los heridos identificados hasta el momento cit? a Santa Ortiz, de 64 a?os; Gissel y Ram?n Grull?n, de 22 y 19 a?os; adem?s de Alba Hern?ndez; B?rbara Castillo, de 66; Patricio Fabi?n, de 18; ?velin Hern?ndez, de 22; y Fior Alejandra Figueroa Hern?ndez, de 22 a?os.

The bus was carrying 52...

No deaths reported yet...

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't see how the bus was going UP the hill. It went DOWN into some ravine. If it was going UP and missed the curve, it would have impacted the dirt hill on the high side and you could see it from the street. Hell, if it was going UP the hill, it would have blocked traffic because the dirt hill is not even 20' from the street, and there would have been new damage to the guardrails.

The EMT guys were going way ~down~ the ravine with stretchers. The bus wasn't in sight. I was right ~there~, stopped for a good 3-4 minutes before the bikes could get through.

I'd be quite surprised if it was anything besides failed brakes going downhill, with the bus going, at speed, straight down the ravine far enough to be hidden from view. But, who knows, I could be wrong...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Look up Carlos Jose rosario Viva on facebook. He is a journalist from Jarabacoa and is on scene. 2 minutes ago he said no loss of life.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
accidente.jpg

LA VEGA, Dominican Republic .-At least eight people
injured in an accident reported in the afternoon this
Monday in a bus from Caribe Tours
which went down a ravine in the community of Bacayanes on the
HighwayJarabacoa-LaVega.
According to reports from relief agencies
t
here are no deaths of 56 passengers
traveling on the bus.

The injured have not yet been identified,while
members of the Civil Defense, Red Cross and
Firefighters try to free the driver of the
bus, Julio Lugo, who went down the slope.

Six tourists that were staying at a Hotel
in Jarabacoa were among the passengers on the vehicle.
The foreigners were identified as Edward Metz,
20 years, Deborah Osborn, 20; Medgar Maddosk, 20;
Sarah Echsner, 21,Josephine Herman, 20, and Daniel
Shaver, 21.