punta cana - santo domingo

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
my good friend is at an all-inclusive in punta cana this week and we were going to try to catch up in the capitol at some point.

the people at her resort are discouraging it - there are no taxis that go to SD and the bus is not direct, she could of course rent a car (through the company they sponsor) and drive out (but i don't recommend that )

does anyone know of a fairly easy way to get from punta cana to SD?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
is it direct to santo domingo? how long does it take? what are the reverse hours (leaving from the capitol to pc?)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If I recall it takes about 3 hours 20 minutes or so, stops in La Romana, I do not remember the reverse times. According to another thread they leave SDQ at the same times on the way back.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Copied from the East Coast forum sticky - East Coast Basic Information
http://www.dr1.com/forums/east-coast/114334-east-coast-basic-information.html

B?varo/Punta Cana to/from Santo Domingo
Metro Bus and Caribe Tours do not service the east. Although they have local offices, they only offer private bus hire and Metro has its courier service with pick-up points in Punta Cana Village (Mail Boxes Etc) and at their offices near the Coco Loco crossing.

Direct service:
Expreso B?varo
From Punta Cana Bavaro to Santo Domingo
From Bavaro, one can take the Expreso Bavaro Bus directly to Santo Domingo. Travellers can board and/or purchase a ticket for Expreso Bavaro from the Bavaro Bus Station just a block south of the Friusa Intersection on the Avenida Estados Unidos 809.552.1678. You may also board at the Veron stop along the Carretera Luperon-Punta Cana 809.455.1473. Departure times from the Bavaro Bus Station are: 7am, 10 am, 2pm, and 4pm. Tickets cost RD$375 for both adults and children. Note that the Expreso Bavaro Buses leave from the bus station in Friusa and pass by the Veron stop on the way to Santo Domingo, so pick-up times are approximately a half an hour after the original departure time.
The buses are large and well maintained with air conditioning that can be self controlled from your seat. The driver will also put on one to two movies during the trip. Unfortunately, there is no bathroom on the bus so be prepared. Your next and only opportunity to purchase refreshments and/or use the restroom is about two hours into the trip at a highway rest stop called La Lechonera. The rest stop is basically a buffet style stop-off where you can purchase a wide array of chow such as chicken, fish, pork, rice, snacks, sweets and drinks. The restrooms are acceptable at the very least.
Upon entering Santo Domingo, the driver is flexible with letting passengers off. The normal stops are in front of the Dario Contreras Hospital on Santo Domingo’s east side, the corner of Calle Josefa Brea & 27 de Febrero and the last stop on Juan Sanchez Ramirez, off of Maximo Gomez. Simply ask the driver if you have a particular stop in between the ones previously mentioned and he will find the solution.

Getting to Bavaro from Santo Domingo
The bus is picked up just off the Avenida Maximo Gomez on Juan Sanchez Ramirez #31 809.682.9670 just about a half a block from the Supermercado Nacional. Departure times are the same as in Bavaro 7am, 10am, 2pm and 4pm.
Before leaving the city, the bus will make one more stop at El Parque Enriquillo on Avenida Duarte. Tickets can also be purchased at this location. If you forgot to buy a snack or drink for the ride, the Parque Enriquillo stop is your last chance. Outside the bus there’s plenty of vendors knocking on the window selling refreshments and you’ll have a few minutes purchasing time if need be.
Just like the bus ride from Bavaro to Santo Domingo, you will have one opportunity to use the bathroom and buy food or drink at the La Lechonera rest stop, about two hours into the trip.
The Bavaro stops begin at Veron, which is basically the entrance to the area of Bavaro. You will need to get off here if you are going to a hotel or resort in Cabeza de Toro as well as resorts to the south towards Juanillo, such as Club Med and the Punta Cana Beach Resort. The last local buses for both of these routes pass through Veron at 6:30 pm, so if you arrive later, the driver will drop you off at the taxi station just down the highway from the normal stop.
Once the Expreso Bavaro bus reaches Bavaro, it is no longer an express bus. From the bus’s first stop at Veron, to its last stop at Friusa, the driver will let passengers off wherever they please.
The last stop is called Friusa, located at the main bus terminal on the Avenida Estados Unidos about another half hour from Veron. Here you will encounter numerous local buses that sweep past nearly every hotel and resort in the Cortecito and Arena Gorda area. These local buses run much later, till 10:30pm, since most resorts are located in this sector and more hotel employees need to be shuttled around.

There are also 8am and 3pm departures that go all the way to Punta Cana Airport. If you take any of the other Expreso B?varo buses, get off at Cruce de Ver?n and stand at the roadside next to the Shell Station – Sitrabapu guaguas (minibuses) pass every 15 minutes or so and continue to the airport.

There is a more frequent but indirect service via Higuey. From B?varo/Punta Cana take a guagua to Higuey and ask for the stop where the buses depart for the Capital (Sichoprola)

The trip takes about 4 hours, depending on traffic in Santo Domingo.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
thanks guys!

giveadogahome - the resort told her that taxis don't go there - i know that's not true - but what's a gringa with little knowledge of the island supposed to do? she just shook her head and walked away.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Oh I see, yeh the resorts did that to my parents once, told them they would die if they left the area, lol. Well if you do decide to use a cab let me know and I'll send my brother in law across.