DR telephone number for foreigners

dr_traveler

Jan 31, 2012
It wasn't so long ago that DR was one of the countries that Skype offered "online numbers" for, e.g., you could buy a DR telephone number and forward it to your PC or to any telephone number in the world. Unfortunately, DR is no longer in Skype's list of countries where one can buy such a number.

I'm wondering if any of the cellular carriers in DR offer international call forwarding, e.g., could one get a cell phone there in DR and forward it to a US number and leave it that way (no need to even have the DR cell phone turned on)?

Thoughts?

boga

Nov 16, 2011
It wasn't so long ago that DR was one of the countries that Skype offered "online numbers" for, e.g., you could buy a DR telephone number and forward it to your PC or to any telephone number in the world. Unfortunately, DR is no longer in Skype's list of countries where one can buy such a number.

I'm wondering if any of the cellular carriers in DR offer international call forwarding, e.g., could one get a cell phone there in DR and forward it to a US number and leave it that way (no need to even have the DR cell phone turned on)?

Thoughts?

With an Ipod touch or iphone you can download a program called "textnow" that allows you to call/text Canada and US for free from anywhere as long as you have wifi. It sets you up with a Canadian or US number that people can call you/text you on and you can call/text out as well.

There's also a company based in Miami that offers a DR # to people living outside of DR for $25/month. I believe it's called TeleHispanic.