motos

Guaco

Sep 22, 2011
i am interested in buying a motocycle of large moped
i have seen the cg150' and 200's, but have not been able to find information on their preformance, specs
etc, only have beenable to foind out the prices

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I think cg 150 and 200 are made in china. I'vent tried them but I heard they have many technical problems... my advice would be to go for real Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda instead of chinese copies... :)

May 29, 2006
From what I've read here, the most important thing is the availability of parts in the DR, which is much harder with Chinese bikes.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
From what I've read here, the most important thing is the availability of parts in the DR, which is much harder with Chinese bikes.

With over 90% of the bikes on the road, Chinese, parts availability is no problem.....A 125cc Chinese bike will set you back around 30k pesos and the equivalent Japanese bike will be around 70k pesos. Most Dominicans want Japanese bikes, but can only afford the Chinese. Chinese bikes also rust out much faster too.....

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I have a chinese 150cc scooter here in the U.S. - although all Chinese bikes are painted with the same brush, some are better than others. If you do some initial service items, it should be fine. Change all original fluids, adjust all controls, tighten with thread lock all bolts (exhaust bolts notoriously loosen and fall off), and change to a good spark plug (although the one I got had a good one in it from the manufacturer). The other two items are a little more complicated... set the valves, and change out the auto choke (notoriously bad). The choke isn't as much a problem in the warm weather though. These are simple machines to work on, there are TONS of sites and tutorials online for DIY, and to be honest, the biggest pain in the you know what is stripping off the plastics to get to the guts. The one I have has sat unused for 8 months and started on second try. Not bad for a cheap-o P.O.S. from China.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
opppsss.. sorry, hit "post" too soon.

Wanted to add, while generally reliable, cheap, and good for some purposes... I'd prefer something with bigger wheels for the roads I've seen in the D.R.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I ride a Ssanyong 125 over here, and it has served me very well so far. No issues with it, aside from the gas meter not functioning properly on day 2. The dealer replaced it immediately, without any protest, as it came with a 6 month warranty.

I make it a point to change the oil every 1,000 km, as I notice it then changes gears easier.

The only thing I do not like are the tires. In China they apparently like tires with almost no thread, and which are not rounded on the sides.

For 25,000 rds it was a great buy however.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
was that factory new, belgiank??? if so, it was a VERY good price given the usual cost in the U.S. for a drop ship being about $1000 plus or minus $200 depending on model. Although, 125's are uncommon here... usually 150cc's

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
yes, factory new, with all the protective plastic still on it. Took them 2 hours to prepare it.

Was bought at Pancho's in Jarabacoa. Asking price was 30 mil, with some negotiation went down to 25 mil

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Peter hit the nail right on the head. He's absolutely right. The chinese scooters do not have parts readily available, or even slightly available! I have a 2008 125 Chinese scooter. after a few years, the ignition went bad; i spent two years looking for a new ignition from Moca to Puerto Plata and could not find one anywhere. period. Then the seat broke; they have a hard plastic underseat and then foam glued to it, and then the lining on top of the foam. after the plastic broke, i searched everywhere for either a new seat or simply new plastic so that i could replace it. Guess what? Yep, no one could order a new seat for me. period. some other things went wrong, mostly carburator issues. then the electrical issues started . now it has tons of electrical grimlins running around the wires, shorting out lights, etc.

Finally, i saw the light. i bought a 2011 fuel-injected Yamaha 125 Zuma. I can order any part for it right from the internet. Even Amazon.com carries nearly every single part for it. Yes, the Yamaha costs 2.5 times more than the chinese scooter. i don't care. you get what you pay for. i've already toured half the island on the Yamaha scooter despite people thinking i'm crazy. i just posted another youtube video of my latest tour with the Yamaha in December. in 6 months, I've put over 11,000km on it. not one thing has gone wrong yet. it has better suspension, better seat, better lights, and it's fuel-injected and i'm averaging 85mpg. That's not even a slight exaggeration. it's better in every way but, again, it's expensive.

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
So "Frank",are you saying it's better to buy a Japanese bike????? :confused::confused::confused::p:p:p
CC

Yes, that's what i'm saying. The Japanese bike costs a lot more than the Chinese bikes but, the parts are easily attained and readily available everywhere...including on Amazon.com of all places.

Forget about trying to find parts for the Chinese scooters. Cannot be done, or at least couldn't find them anywhere on this island--no seat, no ignition switches, etc.

And, like i mentioned earlier, only the Yamaha Zuma (Known here as Yamaha BWS 125) is fuel injected and bomb proof. I've traveled two-up on it from Cabarete to Santiago twice--over the mountains (Calle Turistica), MOca (Over the mountain from La Cumbre and back over) and Samana, Las Terrenas, Las Galeras and Playa Fronton--including some off-roading. But again, the scooter costs $125,000 Pesos new. Ouch. But...you get what you pay for.

FRank