Vietcafe in Cabarete

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Anybody visited this restaurant as yet?

I am a great fan of Vietnamese cuisine, so would like to try this one out. Then again, I heard a competitor tear down this restaurant, and as I am a bit susceptible to "turista", I would like to hear some other comments first.

Thanks

Jan 17, 2009
I was there twice for dinner in the past month. Excellent food and fantastic service, moderate prices. They got a small menu with five different type of Viet and five Thai dishes. In both instances, I picked Thai so can't say anything about the Viet dishes. The owner is Vietnamese/French. Nice guy; he said he's only been in the DR for five months. I can't remember if they serve breakfast, but they do lunch and dinner for sure.

BTW, I brought each time a group of friends and everyone liked it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is about 100 meters towards the ocean from the parking lot that Janets has on the side street along their plaza. It is on the left. I ate there and the Thai food was good.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The above directions are accurate, but it's probably easier to say it is next to the Velero Hotel. The former site of Toma La Luna Restaurant.

I believe they are only open for dinner, from 6pm. I've tried a few of the Thai and Vietnamese dishes and everything was very good, great fresh flavors and the servings seemed "just right". Prices run from about 250-350 pesos per entree, apps and soups around 150-250 pesos.

Jan 17, 2009
Flyer says lunch 11:00am to 2:30 pm (I saw the lunch menu but didn't have lunch). Dinner 6:00pm to 10:30pm. Phone 809-571-0495.

Closed Sundays.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
just back from dinner with some friends and i have to say that i wasnt overwhelmed :(

My main complaint is that portions were small.
My friend had the pad thai which was really tasty but just not big enough. I had the thai stir-fry, again tasty but so small i am now home and have just made myself a sandwich!

My other friend had the green curry which, though fiery hot, was just a bit too watery and didnt have that punch of intense flavour you expect from a thai green curry.

So, all in all, i dont think ill be back.
The owner was there and didnt come over to say hello. If he had, i would have told him how i found it, so his loss really.

Jan 17, 2009
The VietCafe was closed for a while and supposed to open on June 15 (according to the sign). We went back then and it remained closed (no furniture around either). I'm abroad now and can't go check. Can someone confirm if they reopen?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The VietCafe was closed for a while and supposed to open on June 15 (according to the sign). We went back then and it remained closed (no furniture around either). I'm abroad now and can't go check. Can someone confirm if they reopen?

I ate there July 5th. Seemed to be open for business as usual.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We had some meals from there yesterday, and I hate to say I was far from impressed. The food was completely tasteless. A shame as I was really looking forward to some nice Vietnamese cuisine.

To be honest, there was no Vietnamese person or cook around. Only locals, and the service was very friendly. Maybe they changed cooks?

BelgianK

Jan 17, 2009
Well, I met the Chef and owner back in January. He is Vietnamess/French and his wife is Thai. Maybe they sold it. They had only been in the DR for four months, he mentioned. I didn't have Vietnamese plates. The Thai plates I had were excellent. Last time I went there was in March, had Chicken Satay and Green papaya salad. Both fantastic.