never been to Semana Santa in the DR ,.. any pointers?

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
i get to the DR april 3 // will I miss Semana Santa celebrations? and where would I see the most authentic... not those geared to tourists? Where Dominicans get down and crazy?/ thanks for any advice..while in the country I sure wouldn t want to miss something spectacular

lafiera

Apr 26, 2009
i get to the DR april 3 // will I miss Semana Santa celebrations? and where would I see the most authentic... not those geared to tourists? Where Dominicans get down and crazy?/ thanks for any advice..while in the country I sure wouldn t want to miss something spectacular

En cualquier playa, el 95% de los extrangeros , especialmente los Europeos y algunos Rush limbaugh, Michael Savege ,Lou Dobbs o Fox news type American ;no toleran o tienen miedo a aprender otra cultura. Po los tanto no frecuentan las playas en esa semana.SI CUALQUIER PLAYA TENDRA UN FLUJO , DE DOMINICANOS ASIA LAS PLAYAS EN SEMANA SANTA.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Cabarete is the place to be on that weekend, the beach has about 7 outdoor stages for concerts and there is about 30,000 people on the beach.......its something to see if you haven't been here before.....bring earplugs, because at times 5 stages are playing music at once....lol

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Cabarete is the place to be on that weekend, the beach has about 7 outdoor stages for concerts and there is about 30,000 people on the beach.......

30,000 people in Cabarete on the beach? Just look at transportation... that's the equivalent of about 400-500 buses, 5000 full carloads of people, or a combination of the two. It would take almost a month of Caribe/Metro buses arriving in Sosua (about 20/day) or parking areas for 2000+ cars to reach the number you mention. Also, keep in mind that while it IS crowded, the crowd only stretches from Ojo's to Lax.

Maybe more like 3-5,000 people on the beach?

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
What is the date of Semana Santa this year?? Not sure if it has been mentioned or not..... if so sorry for being a lazy butt and not searching the forums LOL

gracias Liz

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What is the date of Semana Santa this year?? Not sure if it has been mentioned or not..... if so sorry for being a lazy butt and not searching the forums LOL

gracias Liz

Easter Sunday is April 8 this year. So biggest party days will be April 5-7

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Best week of the entire year to not go out of your house!
Everyone in the DR will be drunk,even the kids!
Really! They keep a running tab of the dead,and how they died.They list the counts of admitions to hospitals too.You always see children admitted for intoxication.
Everyone behind the wheel of any form of motorized transportation,WILL BE DRUNK!
BEWARE!
CC

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Actually it's a great time to be in the big cities like Sto. Dgo. and Santiago. They're like ghost towns as tons of people go back to their families in the country side or just leave the big cities and head out to the beaches and the mountains.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I made the mistake of coming during "Semana Santa",back in my "Glory Days".
Every hooker in Santo Domingo had gone to the "Campo" to visit their chindren!
Had to settle for a few 19 year olds.
CC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definitely Cabarete or Sos?a. there are NO celebrations per se. Just a lot of booze and a lot of people. I heartedly agree with CCCCC

HBBBBBBBBBBB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My younger daughter called the other day, gleefully announcing that she would be arriving at SDQ on April 8 - Easter Sunday.

I told her to change the dates.

Should i come Saturday, Daddy?

No - the next week......
I felt badly refusing her, but I will not drive or go to the playa those days..

WW

( I like your new signature HB, very becoming);)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Really! They keep a running tab of the dead,and how they died.They list the counts of admitions to hospitals too.You always see children admitted for intoxication.
Everyone behind the wheel of any form of motorized transportation,WILL BE DRUNK!
BEWARE!
CC

Is this true ???

I wonder if hotels and rentals will be booked solid that week ? Do dominican in general stay with family ?

I have been contemplating coming down during Semana Santa since it corresponds to Spring break and the children will be off from school......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My younger daughter called the other day, gleefully announcing that she would be arriving at SDQ on April 8 - Easter Sunday.

I told her to change the dates.

Should i come Saturday, Daddy?

No - the next week......
I felt badly refusing her, but I will not drive or go to the playa those days..

WW

( I like your new signature HB, very becoming);)

Our daughter wants to come down Palm Sunday and leave Easter Sunday with her two little boys..... no way Jose.

We will do a big shopping trip last day or so of March, and batten down the hatches for the week. There will be cars parked every which-way from the beach to our house, and craziness galore. Family will come out of the woodwork to "visit us". They'll sleep on couches and on floors. When I was young, I loved it. Now, well, not so much.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Las Terrenas seems to be a hit, lots of big cars, big drinkers, big noise makers...they're all having fun. We're leaving it to the Dominicans this year and going to Hungary.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
BEWARE!
CC
Let's just hope it rains all weekend.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
beach hotels are FULL!!
Many other hotels also.
Would you like to be in an all inclusive hotel filled with mostly Dominicans?
You know how WELLdominicans control their kids,not to mention themselves!
The buffets are picked clean!
NOT FUN!
UNLESS YOU TOO ARE A drunk!
cc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try going to Playa Grande (or any other beach, I expect)... they set up tents and live there for a few days.

Not to be TOO critical, but the litter and Bano issues leave quite a stain on the landscape.... if you catch my drift, SnowFlake.

Besides having no sand, my rythym is a bit out of sync.... earplugs are a must.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Oh dear, my 40th birthday is on April 7th....looks like Cabarete is going to throw a huge party for me....lol