another shoe leather beef experience

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
now I resist eating imported beef ... since there need to be MORE cows here for the dairy industry and what are you gonna do with the left over males except eat them, right?

but .. HOW do I cook it without it coming out like shoe leather

I did have an ok fajita experience after marinating for 24 hours in ginger soy

and the hamburger is fine in meat loaf or chili'

but any ideas on just steak... or pot roast... or .. london broil.. or rib eye.. or ..... omg..

i am longing for nyc

i had to throw out the beef from last night

inedible after simmering for over an hour

shoe leather

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The beef in the DR is "utility grade". It has no fat content and is tough and flavorless. It comes from the cows eating only the grasses. In order for beef to be flavorfull the cows need to supplement the grasses to develop fat and flavor to their meat.
Corn, and grains will do it. Beef from warm climates all has the same problem. The best beef comes from cooler climates, like Nebraska, Argentina. You will never find a good steak here from local cattle. Only way to impart flavor is to marinate like you did.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I purchase the Imported rib eye from El National, they are currently selling for 440 a pound and they are fantastic. That is approx. $11.30 a pound U.S and worth every penny. I broil in a very good toaster oven on the broil setting (upper burner) and place the tray right up against it, turns out perfect. That with a bowl of home made French fries and a fresh veggie hits the spot.
Now the best Chirrasco steak, Imported also (don't think I spelled right)(also know as skirt steak) is sold by La Sirena (formerly Polla) Not the one on Calle Del Sol...., and you don't even need a knife to cut, fork only.

B in Santiago

May 12, 2005
Good beef is definitely a rarity in DR. For good steaks you have to pay $$ to get imported. Nacional in Santiago has Angus Beef from the US.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I'm going to try the salt idea....just as I was thinking "never salt meat before grilling because it draws out the moisture" the author made a great point that the extra time with salt on sort of has the opposite effect, maybe somewhat akin to dry aging...

Also, most commercial meat tenderizers (Like Lawry's/Adolf's) use papain, from papayas. Pineapple and ginger also have great tenderizing properties. Most marinades, including citrus based ones, tend to flavor the meat, but not really tenderize it, IMO.

At the end of the day though, it's pretty tough (pun intended) to get beef from Dominican Cattle to taste like aged, corn-fed beef...but Ive found local filet/tenderloin and veal to be the best to work with...and in most cases much better than just "ok"...

On the bright side, grass-fed, less fatty beef is certainly better for you!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We never make steak in DR, I don't even like the bistec encebollado in restaurants. But I've had good results with beef chunks, making it guisado in tomato sauce, or making a traditional beef stew. The secret is cooking it veryyyyy low for several hours. Also good in soup/sancocho.

That being said, I recently bought a Deni brand meat tenderizer, and the thing is magical. I'm bringing one to DR to see what it can do for their beef. Here's the one we bought: Amazon.com: Deni MT149 Handheld 49-Blade Stainless-Steel Meat Tenderizer with Safety Lock: Kitchen & Dining

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Tough meat here has to be simmered for a lot more than an hour. It's still good though when done right.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is an EASY ONE!
Buy a pressure cooker!
Marinate ( onions,garlic,green pepper,favorite spices,but always salt and pepper to taste)the beef,better if over night in the fridge.
Remove the marinade,reserve!,brown the meat in hot oil.
Put meat,marinade,include EVERYTHING,cover with beef broth,chicken broth,tomatoe juice,red wine,just about any liquid.
Beef should be just covered in liquid.
Turn on the "Fire",when the pressure cooker starts to let off steam,cook for 30 or 40 minutes.
Leave in cooker for 30 minutes to an hour.The beef will absorb more "juice" that way,and the pressure will drop,so you can safely open the cooker.
You can use the cheapest cuts of beef,they WILL be fork tender.
"A Comer"!
CC

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i have used the salt method and just ended up with salty tough steak. Having tried and tested various methods the best so far is wrap in the skin of a green papaya and leave in fridge for a few days. Really works.

Matilda

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
This is an EASY ONE!
Buy a pressure cooker!
Marinate ( onions,garlic,green pepper,favorite spices,but always salt and pepper to taste)the beef,better if over night in the fridge.
Remove the marinade,reserve!,brown the meat in hot oil.
Put meat,marinade,include EVERYTHING,cover with beef broth,chicken broth,tomatoe juice,red wine,just about any liquid.
Beef should be just covered in liquid.
Turn on the "Fire",when the pressure cooker starts to let off steam,cook for 30 or 40 minutes.
Leave in cooker for 30 minutes to an hour.The beef will absorb more "juice" that way,and the pressure will drop,so you can safely open the cooker.
You can use the cheapest cuts of beef,they WILL be fork tender.
"A Comer"!
CC

Another thing that reminds me of my child hood. No money to buy expensive beef cuts so my very creative mom bought the cheapest ones she could get and boy that pressure cooker was used almost on a daily basis to make the most delicious stews.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My American Mom,used to soak dried beans and peas overnight before cooking in the morning.My Dominican "Suegra",puts a ton of beans in the pressure cooker.She stores the pre-cooked beans in the refrgerator,enough for about three days,and makes the "Habichelas" everyday,without the "soak".
The "cheaper" the cut of beef,the better.Best if there are bones in the beef.
cc

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I purchase the Imported rib eye from El National, they are currently selling for 440 a pound and they are fantastic. That is approx. $11.30 a pound U.S and worth every penny. I broil in a very good toaster oven on the broil setting (upper burner) and place the tray right up against it, turns out perfect. That with a bowl of home made French fries and a fresh veggie hits the spot.
Now the best Chirrasco steak, Imported also (don't think I spelled right)(also know as skirt steak) is sold by La Sirena (formerly Polla) Not the one on Calle Del Sol...., and you don't even need a knife to cut, fork only.

B in Santiago

yes, well, see, I don't NEED any help on how to make the imported beef taste good.. at $11 a pound it should cook itself. Heck, at 440 a pound I can eat out and get waited on! the problem I was having was with the shoe leather..

yes, I do have a crock pot which I got from an American friend who was leaving. Bought a rice cooker here thinking it was the same thing which it is not.. gave that away since I am not really a rice eater and have wayyyyyy plenty of it when eating out...

and while I am grousing

why do we not grow mushrooms here? Why are they soooo expensive? There is plenty of fungus on the logs in the yard.. why not ****AKES?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks all.. I have some scary pressure cooker memories from childhood from when the pop used to fly over the kitchen but I think that with a few therapy sessions, I can overcome it. And the papaya -- is that leaves or skin? Or can I just cut up papaya? it is the pepsin in papaya, right?

And how about some papaya salsa? or mango salsa?

I am tired of Frito Lays

jus sayin
there is more to life than tomatoes