Migration policy changes

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Director General of Migration has begun the issuance of work visas, mostly to Haitians. The thing that caught my eye was the mention of Article 68 which says that foreigners that are here without resident status will be considered to be in transit.

This means that children born to these people will not be eligible for Dominican citizenship.

If this affects you or your partner, you might want to consider getting your papers in order.

HB

See Diario Libre English tomorrow morning for the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I hope so as it would be a shame that my daughter's couldn't be Dominican given that they got the "i" thing going pretty good. :)

Apr 10, 2006
My daughter is half-dominican. We were going to wait until July/Aug. to declare her there. Does this mean we should try to declare her as a Dominican from the US via a Dominican consulate?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Was it ever possible for a couple, both from another country, no Dominican parents, and neither being legal residents or citizens here, to have a child here and have it be declared a Dominican citizen?

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Was it ever possible for a couple, both from another country, no Dominican parents, and neither being legal residents or citizens here, to have a child here and have it be declared a Dominican citizen?

No, I don't think so. The government has always maintained a strong stand on ONE of the parents having PR. And specially so for kids born to haitian parents

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOMADAMERICAN: If you are a citizen of the United States, then your daughter is an American. There is no reason to declare her here. If she was born to a woman here and you are the father, then the birth needs to be registered in the US Consulate.

Also waiting so long might complicate things in the eye of the courts. The so-called "declaraciones tard?as" now need to go to court, so I am told.

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I like this law as passed in the DR - very similar to some other countries view on citizenship by right of birth. I wish the US would follow the DR example with this type of law.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i know a few non-dominican couples who have declared children here - it's impossible to declare your american child in the dominican embassy if you don't have a birth certificate from the dominican authorities.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The thing that caught my eye was the mention of Article 68 which says that foreigners that are here without resident status will be considered to be in transit.

This means that children born to these people will not be eligible for Dominican citizenship.
I think that has always been the case, no?

Apr 10, 2006
NOMADAMERICAN: If you are a citizen of the United States, then your daughter is an American. There is no reason to declare her here. If she was born to a woman here and you are the father, then the birth needs to be registered in the US Consulate.

Also waiting so long might complicate things in the eye of the courts. The so-called "declaraciones tard?as" now need to go to court, so I am told.

HB

We wanted her to have dual citizenship.... like most of my friends from Latin America... their children all hold two passports. One from the US and one from their mother's/father's country. This is not possible for Dominican Americans?

Feb 7, 2007
We wanted her to have dual citizenship.... like most of my friends from Latin America... their children all hold two passports. One from the US and one from their mother's/father's country. This is not possible for Dominican Americans?

Yes it is, you would do Registro de Nacimiento en el Extranjero, take the US Apostilled papers, duly translated into Spanish, into Registro Civil in SD, they will "transcribe" the US birth certificate in the DR and then issue you DR birth certificate. From that point on the child has dual citizenship.

See here for more details and procedure:
?C?mo transcribo un Acta de Nacimiento de hijo de dominicano instrumentada en el extranjero?

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
This is interesting. So if I a foreigner impregnates a Dominican woman, she can be forced to give the child to me because I am a foreigner. That means I can take the child without the baggage of the mother.
This is GREAT!!