Where in the D.R. would you want to live in 15 years..

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
Hi everyone,
I value your input which is why I post this question. I'm planing on buying a lot or house within the next year, with plans of retiring in 15 years. Somewhere definitely close to a beach and safety is a big concern. I am Dominican and travel once or twice a year and have been to Punta Cana, Las Terrenas, Cabarete, Sosua. however haven't stayed long enough to see all the pros and cons.
Thanks all.

Nov 25, 2008
Well if your planning in soooo much ahead of time your out of luck, I came here; Santiago in 82 and thought it was nice.....15 years passes and the quaint town is now a metropolis.
Safety....the way things are going on here their is no place safe, unfortunately

May 29, 2006
I'd look at Jarabacoa or somewhere in Valverde Mao. Anywhere that is unlikely to have urban sprawl or be a major factor in the tourist industry. Check out where the Dominican MLB players are building estates..

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it.

Note, this is Sao Paolo's skyline right now:

favela-morumbi-sao-paulo_thumb.jpg

This is Caracas right now:

media-0998-caracas-slum1_0.jpg

There are in fact 2 Brazils, and 2 Venezuelas. The country for the rich, with high rises, maids, over and underpasses, and metros. Then the country for the poor - ie. basically 80% of the country.

The poor don't use birth control, don't get any real education, and they live as close as possible to the mega cities where the money is.

Where will DR be in the next 15 years? Considering how many construction projects are financed or executed by Venezuelan and Brazilian money and companies, is there any wonder that this country is headed to where those countries have already reached?

There are already two DR's, one where lunch costs $RD 1000 pesos, the other where it costs $RD pesos.

To answer your question more succingtly. In 15 years, a lot can happen. An area that's 'secure' today may end up a barrio, or may end up 'in moda'. Even in a place like Punta Cana, there are 2 punta cana's, and you can't ever tell which side your investment will fall on in 15 years.

For this reason, it's probably best not to speculate. Invest in something else, then when it comes time to buy in 15 years for retirement, analyze the build vs. buy vs. rent debate at that time.

May 29, 2006
When I first came to Sosua 25 years ago, there was hardly any pavement in town and fewer than a half dozen bars in town. The beach was open at night (with kerosene lamps) and you'd see maybe 100 tourists a day in high season. 40 years ago, burros were more common than moto-conchos. Times do change.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you want safety stay away from tourist areas, expat areas and big cities - unlikely to be near a beach though.

matilda

May 12, 2005
Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it.

Note, this is Sao Paolo's skyline right now:

favela-morumbi-sao-paulo_thumb.jpg

This is Caracas right now:

media-0998-caracas-slum1_0.jpg

There are in fact 2 Brazils, and 2 Venezuelas. The country for the rich, with high rises, maids, over and underpasses, and metros. Then the country for the poor - ie. basically 80% of the country.

The poor don't use birth control, don't get any real education, and they live as close as possible to the mega cities where the money is.

Where will DR be in the next 15 years? Considering how many construction projects are financed or executed by Venezuelan and Brazilian money and companies, is there any wonder that this country is headed to where those countries have already reached?

There are already two DR's, one where lunch costs $RD 1000 pesos, the other where it costs $RD pesos.

To answer your question more succingtly. In 15 years, a lot can happen. An area that's 'secure' today may end up a barrio, or may end up 'in moda'. Even in a place like Punta Cana, there are 2 punta cana's, and you can't ever tell which side your investment will fall on in 15 years.

For this reason, it's probably best not to speculate. Invest in something else, then when it comes time to buy in 15 years for retirement, analyze the build vs. buy vs. rent debate at that time.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about DR? You have to be the most negative poster here.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ouch!!!!!, guess thats better than being fined points or thrown off the site but its still harsh. Dont we all need a little negativity once in a while with all the boundless cheerfulness and optomism on DR1? Just to balance things out.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Hey Tank,don't get her started on the school system.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about DR? You have to be the most negative poster here.

School absence is highest in England’s poorest areas ? My Arse

Maybe these "cops" went to school in a poor neighbourhood in England.This is now,what does the future hold on that side of Europe?Poor Dominicans would go to school given the opportunity,just ask any 5 year old manizero or limpiabota.You guys come to the country with your hand sanitizer y nariz pa'arriba.There's a daily flight back to your country.No te gusta? Vete,asi de facil.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I first came to Sosua 25 years ago, there was hardly any pavement in town and fewer than a half dozen bars in town. The beach was open at night (with kerosene lamps) and you'd see maybe 100 tourists a day in high season. 40 years ago, burros were more common than moto-conchos. Times do change.

25 years ago where Angie Wolff has the EPS office was the North Shore Hotel and the pavement stopped shortly after it.

Aug 21, 2007
But the poster isn't looking backwards in history. He is preparing for the future. I bet he is willing to deal with things the way they currently are, not as the have been.

Having said that, I think the DR in general is a good investment. Compare any real estate here to other Caribbean islands and you see what you get. For a Dominican, I bet if he would come here for a few weeks, travel around, talk to his connections, he would know right away what is right for him. I know he has been here and there, but when you come with investment eyes, you see things altogether differently.

And those of you who were here 20+ years ago, kudos to you! You have invested well and seen much has come of your personal and financial investment.....and you have survived to talk about it, as well!

Lindsey

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
Moncion

no place nicer in the DR having visited every town
first lived there 1979-81
pine trees,mountain air, new lake created by the spanish built dam, salto de jicome, true cibao folk
will be there again next week to have a cold Jumbo
dd

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011

Frank, is it really 'negative' to point out that 10 years ago Kennedy y Luperon was a 'nice' area, and now it's not? The trend is, there are 2 DR's, and I don't see anything in the next 15 years that will change that. The differences between rich and poor will get wider and wider...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The way the world has changed over the last fifteen years, I can hardly imagine what life will be like fifteen years from now, especially in a country like the DR where it may go in many different directions, and many of them for the worse. But if I were to bet on what beach areas would be the nicest and safest in 15 years, I would say Miches in the Northeast and the area from Barahona to Pedernales in the Southwest. I would also expect the nicest overall retirement area in the country to be in and around Jarabacoa. Punta Cana, Las Terrenas, Cabarete, and Sosua will all be viable options, but I've got a feeling the other three areas will just be "coming into their own" in the next decade...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Frank, is it really 'negative' to point out that 10 years ago Kennedy y Luperon was a 'nice' area, and now it's not? The trend is, there are 2 DR's, and I don't see anything in the next 15 years that will change that. The differences between rich and poor will get wider and wider...

What evidence are you basing your statement that the gap between rich and poor will get wider and wider on?

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
The way the world has changed over the last fifteen years, I can hardly imagine what life will be like fifteen years from now, especially in a country like the DR where it may go in many different directions, and many of them for the worse. But if I were to bet on what beach areas would be the nicest and safest in 15 years, I would say Miches in the Northeast and the area from Barahona to Pedernales in the Southwest. I would also expect the nicest overall retirement area in the country to be in and around Jarabacoa. Punta Cana, Las Terrenas, Cabarete, and Sosua will all be viable options, but I've got a feeling the other three areas will just be "coming into their own" in the next decade...

These were the sort of ideas I was looking for, having never been to Miches or the southern towns. Jarabacoa is beautiful, but proximity to a beach is a must.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
then south west.But you are a long way from good health care and supermarkets. Or maybe Monte Cristi - but same issues there.

Matilda

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
What evidence are you basing your statement that the gap between rich and poor will get wider and wider on?

When was the last time you gave your maid a raise? Over the past 5 years, has her salary increased at the same rate as inflation?

There are now 3 malls in Santo Domingo that sell Luis Vuitton. How many where there 5 years ago? The cheapest thing in those stores costs what? $RD48,000. How many people in this country can fit that into their monthly budget?