have used flatcreen ... will they let me bring into DR? without paying anything?

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
i have a small Toshiba flatscreen I no longer need and was going to bring over to the DR... but hear they are pretty tight on electronics.. it is used, but will they still give me a hard time? It s for a mate in Santiago, not for sale.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Like those boxes from the United States Postal Service,"If It Fits,It SHIPS"!
"IF" it will "FIT" in a large suitcase,bring it!
That said,I always come through customs in Santo Domingo,I haven't been checked in about 9 years!
I have afriend who lands in Santiago,who says they X-ray all luggage there.
If they find it there,you may have to pay something.
The fact that is "Used",and "Not For Sale" doesn't hold any water here,EVERYONE says that,no matter what!
Bottom Line,I would bring it.It's not needed in the USA,but here,it will be!
Good "Smuggling"!
CC

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Hay cccccc when i fly into santiago thy never have the x ray machen ON . Your friand and mine as well in santiago told me he has sent baryls dore to dore and it went well . I have been meaning to e mail him for more info about that

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I sent a "Box",Barrel, "Door To Door"(Note Spelling!)from Boston to SD.
In one I had two,22" monitors!
No Duty,no problem!
I have sent more than 20 boxes,with lots of "Stuff" that is not "Duty Free",never paid any duty.The boxes are just the way I packed them,don't look "Inspected" at all.I believe the shipping companies have "Amigos" in Aduana!
CC

Mr.smith

Mar 8, 2011
I smuggled in my home theatre system into Santiago last summer. They do not ray everyone. Just don't look suspicious. The only question I got asked was " what's in that long box?" I replied it was a screen(projection screen) and kept moving. Not sure if he thought I meant a window screen. The projector was in my carry on. As long as the TV can fit in one of those large suitcases then you'll be fine. Just don't look like you're hiding something or you will be getting the random screening.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
They Got Me

This time of year you may be safe to bring it without incurring any tax. Christmas time I brought a small flat screen that fit in my suitcase. They opened it and found the TV while a supervisor was watching. I bought the TV for $100 at home and paid $80 for the tax at the airport! I hope you have better luck!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You were "Profiled"!
You must have looked "Suspitious".
Just never speak spanish to them."Drool",have "boogers" in your nose,wipe your nose,then extend your hand as if to "shake Hands".
Works everytime,they will just wave you through.
CC

Eco-

Jan 12, 2012
Will a letter from a charity on the island bypass the tax? I'm bringing two laptops, one for me and one for a charity that gave me a letter stating such.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Sometimes" depends on the person who screens you.
I have brought lots of "Laptops" into the country.Once I had two in the same bag.I have never even been asked to open my bags.
Don't worry!
CC

Eco-

Jan 12, 2012
Thanks Chris. I didn't want to pay inflated taxes on a 5 year old laptop that cost $1500 new and is now worth basically nothing to me.