Extended stay tax

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
Hi, we have overstayed our visa and have checked our charges for that, is this the same for children ?. Do we still have to pay the $20 departure tax aswell.

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
It certainly was, so much so we will be back at the end of the year.
The trick to the overstay is that if they don't send you to the window section to pay, they are basically stealing your money. They will most certainly do this if you owe several thousand. I always pay less than half since I know their dirty little trick. As you already know, we live in a small but highly corrupt country.

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
I always get through without paying the tax. I just pretend not to have the money and they let me through. Although they always give me a hard time for it, I do it more out of principal than anything else. They make me get the tourist card when I come off the plane, yet literally take it away 15 feet later and it's of no real use, just a cheap way to get $15 bucks out of my pocket.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The trick to the overstay is that if they don't send you to the window section to pay, they are basically stealing your money. They will most certainly do this if you owe several thousand. I always pay less than half since I know their dirty little trick. As you already know, we live in a small but highly corrupt country.

I do not follow this. There are posted rates for overstay. If they do not send you to the window to pay, they are letting YOU steal THEIR money. Seems like you are the one playing the trick?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I call that a "Win-Win" situation!
I always do that.
See what the "fine" should be,(Rates are posted in the immagration area) then put half that amount in your passport before you had it to the agent.
Only once have I been told that the fine is more,and where to go pay.
One girl actually put her name,and tel.# on a piece of paper inside my passport. She WAS georgeous,but broke one of my "Rules" for dating "dominicanas",her finger nails were all painted with pictures of dollar signs!NEVER date a girl with overly ornate finger nails,"HIGH MANTENENCE"!
CC

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I do not follow this. There are posted rates for overstay. If they do not send you to the window to pay, they are letting YOU steal THEIR money. Seems like you are the one playing the trick?
He means instead of paying at the official cashier window, just offer half (or whatever) to the guy checking your passport and it may (or may not) be accepted.

I didn't do either. I was taken to a tiny scruffy office like a janitor's cupboard and shown the table of rates. I paid the correct amount and the guy put it straight into his back pocket. No doubt it found its way into the public coffers eventually.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
@mountainannie - Sometimes it's better to go with the stream than against it...

I am sorry Rubio, I am with DavidZ on this one. This is just fraud. There is a very clear sign of the prices for an overstay.
So here we have foreigners BRIBING officials here .. and then complaining that the SYSTEM is corrupt? Nope, will not fly with me. You bribe a government official -- you are corrupt.

I simply cannot see how it is better to go with the"stream" of bribing government officials?

To save yourself a few thousand pesos? Or even a few thousand dollars?

where is your line?